Turn on thread page Beta

What is the fastest growing religion in the world? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I don't mean to be rude but...what kind of stupid pleb would place their faith in (and, seemingly, pledge all their worldly belongings to) yourself?
    The same kinds of people who have faith in religions like Christianity and Islam presumebly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Okay, I'll try, now can you explain how through just one translation, 6 different scholars managed to introduce "admonish them" "beat them" "scourge them"? And can you explain why the final scholar, the one with the most favourable translation for your argument is accused of inserting words which shouldn't be there?
    ok ... put things aside and say tht this verse exosts ... is there a remote possibilty tht the translations are wrong .... i told u they are false ... its upto u to believe em .... as i said ... the websites are blocked over here .... its propoganda .. the verse exists offcourse ..... try a more reliable source for it though ... if u r really interested go out to the library , pick up a copy of a quran translation and read it ... wont hurt u or ur religion ... ive read the bible sumtimes ... i feel it makes me more knowledgable when it comes to debating controversial issues , trust me ... ull be surprised seeing an actual translation rather than wat u read on the net ...

no disrespect , but i could make a website , hire a name like " the sikh .com " and rite how their leaders were born without a penis and ppl mite believ if it was convicing enuf ....

there was a site recently about the bible and even though it said satire on the top many people actually maile din asking where the church was coz they wanted to convert to it ... we as a human race are very gullible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    ok ... put things aside and say tht this verse exosts ... is there a remote possibilty tht the translations are wrong .... i told u they are false ... its upto u to believe em .... as i said ... the websites are blocked over here .... its propoganda .. the verse exists offcourse ..... try a more reliable source for it though ... if u r really interested go out to the library , pick up a copy of a quran translation and read it ... wont hurt u or ur religion ... ive read the bible sumtimes ... i feel it makes me more knowledgable when it comes to debating controversial issues , trust me ... ull be surprised seeing an actual translation rather than wat u read on the net ...

no disrespect , but i could make a website , hire a name like " the sikh .com " and rite how their leaders were born without a penis and ppl mite believ if it was convicing enuf ....

there was a site recently about the bible and even though it said satire on the top many people actually maile din asking where the church was coz they wanted to convert to it ... we as a human race are very gullible
    I've read translations. My muslim friends explain it to me. I have no fear of the quran because I have no religion. And I can only assume that the quran does in fact say these things. There is just too much evidence to say so. Can you read arabic? Can you read your arabic quran and explain what it means to me?

ReputationRep:
    "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more strength than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient and guard in the husband's absence what Allah would have them to guard. As to those women on whose part you fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance); for Allah is most High and Great (above you all). If you fear a breach between them twain, appoint (two) arbiters, one from his family and the other from hers. If they wish for peace, Allah will cause their reconciliation; for Allah has full knowledge and is acquainted with all things." (An-Nisa': 34-35)
    took a long time but i wrote this down from an english translation quran i have .... thts a pretty accurate translation of the ayat , the rest of the surah is very interesting too ... btw .. the surah/chapter is called an nisa ... which means " woman " its the biggest chapter in the quran about women ... u chould chck tht out if u really feel tht islam is a religion of wife beaters .... once u do u mite realise we r instructed to be more respectful of them than we would be to a man ...

and another quote ... which is on my mind ... i cant remeber where it is in the quran but it goes sumthing like

" paradise lies at the feet of a mother , so respect her " .... thts how high an importance we give to them

anyway ... im off for the nite .. its 1 am here and i need to get up for a teakwondo class on the morning ... i sincerely hope this debate was worth it

ReputationRep:
    I've read translations. My muslim friends explain it to me. I have no fear of the quran because I have no religion. And I can only assume that the quran does in fact say these things. There is just too much evidence to say so. Can you read arabic? Can you read your arabic quran and explain what it means to me?
    i cant , even if i knew the arabic dialect in whihc its written ... it cannot be translted accurately ... no languague can be with a 100 % certainity ..

gud nite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    took a long time but i wrote this down from an english translation quran i have .... thts a pretty accurate translation of the ayat , the rest of the surah is very interesting too ... btw .. the surah/chapter is called an nisa ... which means " woman " its the biggest chapter in the quran about women ... u chould chck tht out if u really feel tht islam is a religion of wife beaters .... once u do u mite realise we r instructed to be more respectful of them than we would be to a man ...

and another quote ... which is on my mind ... i cant remeber where it is in the quran but it goes sumthing like

" paradise lies at the feet of a mother , so respect her " .... thts how high an importance we give to them

anyway ... im off for the nite .. its 1 am here and i need to get up for a teakwondo class on the morning ... i sincerely hope this debate was worth it
    That's your quote and it still stinks of sexism! Men are the protectors and strong, so women should be bloody obedient. No thanks.

Islam is homophobic, sexist, and backwards.

Night!

ReputationRep:
    Muslim actually means a slave of God. The reason why I am uncomfortable with Islam is because unlike Christianity which considers the people of earth the children of God, muslims see themselves as slaves of God. They do not believe in what we call the good news-the fact that we are Lord's children and the Son of God died for the sake of our salvation. It seems to me that muslims do not benefit from a close relationship of love for God as for their father, they see him as something superior and unaccessible, Someone who should be feared rather than loved with all your heart.

The second thing is purely cultural-that is the fact there does not appear to be such a thing as Islamic theology, as a Christian would understand it. The leading Islamic scholars interpret the Holy Book very literally without much room for debate and theological analysis.

In generally, I am very sceptical about revelations-and if our muslim brothers and sisters would remember, Mohammed did several strictly prohibited things by giving himself authority from the revelations-(how old was Aisha when they Mohammed married her-12); he married his son's widow which was strictly not allowed, and he robbed caravans to recruit merecenaries to go and attack Mecca. As sure as I am that Mohammed was a wise man, I have problems with seeing him as a Prophet of God. Compared to Christ who preached love and abstained from marriage, anything material and died for others, Mohammed's image is somewhat different.

At the end of the day Muslims, Christians and the Jews believe in one God, and we are all brothers and sisters, but as someone quite rightly said here-Quran is very much like Bible and Tora. There are theories that Mohammed just took bits from each book when he was trying to come to God and convert the pagans, but to me it just seems that he made a mistake or two.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, I will be very happy to-theology is my great interest. Especially muslims, feel free to email me or send me a private message!

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 neg reps for this thread :| edit: and one postive, cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s43)
    What is the fastest growing religion in the world?

Also tell me why it is the fastest growing Religion. Also tell me why it is the fastest growing Religion.

I know Islam is the fastest growing religion. I am asking you on what you think is the fatest growing religion and why.
    Falun Gong is the fastest growing religion in the world because people are converting to it at a faster rate than any other religion.

It has amassed over 100 million converts in just 10 years.

Muslims do procreate fast but this is the nature of all poor and uneducated people. Additionally, the claim that Islam is the 'world's fastest growing religion' also significantly fails to embrace the little detail that there are more Muslims leaving Islam than any other major religion losing its followers.

ReputationRep:
    Kaballah! That's not a choice though! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    ISLAM IS DEFINITELY THE WORLD'S FASTEST GROWING RELIGION.

Anyone who denies the above is simply ignorant. And the pure reason is that ppl are realising the meaning which it holds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adil Bhai)

Anyone who denies the above is simply ignorant. And the pure reason is that ppl are realising the meaning which it holds.
    or just foolish, you decide for yourself

ReputationRep:

Here are some facts about the world's fastest growing religion, Falun Gong:

Founded in 1992.
    Number of practitioners in China in 1999: 70 to 100 million
    These numbers are based upon Chinese government statistics openly acknowledged prior to the crackdown in July, 1999 as a result of a survey conducted by the Chinese government in that latter part of 1998. Other sources picked up the numbers that were widely circulated at the time (see news excerpts below). After crackdown in July 1999, however, the Chinese regime began spreading a much lower number -- 1 or 2 million -- in an apparent attempt to downplay Falun Gong's presence in Chinese society.

4/27/99, The New York Times
    In Beijing: A Roar of Silent Protestors, by Seth Faison
    "...the Government's estimate of 70 million adherents represents a large group in a nation of 1.2 billion"

4/27/99, The New York Times
    Notoriety Now for Movement's Leader, by Joseph Kahn
    "Despite that elusiveness, or maybe because of it, Mr. Li has become a guru of a movement that even by Chinese Government estimates has more members that the Communist Party. Beijing puts the tally of his followers at 70 million. Practitioners say they do not dispute those numbers, but they say they have no way of knowing for sure, in part because they have no central membership lists."

4/26/99, The Associated Press
    Growing group poses a dilemma for China, by Renee Schoof
    "But with more members than the Communist Party -- at least 70 million, according to the State Sports Administration -- Falun is also a formidable social network..."
    http://www.faluninfo.net/DisplayAnArticle.asp?ID=6517
    You could argue that Islam is converting a higher percentage of people based on the number of current Muslims. So, they may be increasing by 15% per year but still be converting thousands a year less than Christianity, for example. Following that logic, Islam may have a higher percentage growth rate than some other religions but it's not the fastest growing religion - Falun Gong is.

Anyone who denies the above is simply ignorant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spk)
    The world's fastest growing religion, Falun Gong.
    Falun Gong??????? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Falun Gong.......LOL Joker

Sounds more like a chinese take away

ReputationRep:
    Falun Gong.......LOL Joker

Sounds more like a chinese take away
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s43)
    Also tell me why it is the fastest growing Religion.

I know Islam is the fastest growing religion. I am asking you on what you think is the fatest growing religion and why.
    Atheism I'd hope. Surely if it isn't that implies that the human race is becoming less intelligent as it evolves? That's scary to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Atheism I'd hope. Surely if it isn't that implies that the human race is becoming less intelligent as it evolves? That's scary to say the least.
    yes, but atheism isn't a religion because it's not based on myths or psychosis.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I appear to have wondered into the "who can make the most daring comment" pissing contest

ReputationRep:
    I appear to have wondered into the "who can make the most daring comment" pissing contest

Please feel free to join in.

MB

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.