Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaguarfan_1)
    American Football is definatly tough. I play it, lol! i also come from a rugby background and rugby is also tough. the reason in american football there are pads is not cos their wimps but people are tackled above the waist height and you don't even have to be on the ball to be tackled. my position in American football is offensive lineman and this requires you to hit someone hard every single play, and you're not even allowed to touch the ball in the game under normal circumstances. on my helmet there is a sticker inside saying 'No helmet can protect you from serious brain and/or neck injuries including paralysis or death'

rugby and american football are just as tough imo, from experiance
    lol, that's what it says inside my hockey helmet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unikq)
    lol, that's what it says inside my hockey helmet
    I think that's a standard warning, mine tells the same... and additionally I shall not butt, ram, spear or strike another player with it

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say proper downhill or freeride mountain biking, muscling a 40-50lb bike with 7-8 inches of boing at either end down the side of a mountain, while being fully padded up and having to haul it down/over 10ft+ drops and 15-20ft gap jumps ain't easy when your taking a constant battering at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    Swimming leaves me absolutely exhausted.

Cricket. Poor catching techniques and the inability to duck a bouncer will leave you dead...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
    Cricket. Poor catching techniques and the inability to duck a bouncer will leave you dead...
    Re: The Most Physical Sport?
    Cricket...
    CRICKET?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    I have been thinking of this question and I wondered which sport it is in terms of the work you hve to put in? I was thinking boxing but I am not so sure?
    I would say Boxing/Muay Thai (aka Thai Boxing) even though I practise both of them (so no bias there!).

Gymnastics seems quite tough especially all that time they spend training just to perfect a routine and the slightest of slip-ups can be costly in competetion.

I hear Water Polo is quite demanding. Having played Volleyball I can say that is quite physically demanding with all the jumping around etc.

But I think Boxing takes the biscuit.

Oh can't forget Rowing either; the stats bellowed out on the Boat Race adverts spring to mind about how much wait they lose in water, lactic acid bulid-up etc.

Bodybuilding (if it is considered a sport) is quite demanding in all the hours put in the gym and how little the athletes eat in the days and hours leading up to a competetion/show etc.

So those are my opinions.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion it has to be a good old game of Rugby Union or sevens.

ReputationRep:
    hockey. END OF DISCUSSION

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ac1975)
    hockey. END OF DISCUSSION
    that's what i've been saying...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unikq)
    that's what i've been saying...
    totally, i've lost teeth playing hockey!

ReputationRep:
    American Football is up there I guess...I play for a team and it's just pure adrenaline and very physical. I myself weigh 200 pounds and I did the 40 yard dash at something like 4.8 or 7 I think. Its not as physically demanding as rugby or football(soccer) are in terms or continous running etc, how ever every play of the game is all out and some of the hits do take a heap of your energy out of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    HOCKY!?!?!,lol you joker.....................

Olympic Triathalon now thats a beast, also mma and kickboxing, there quite hard,,

ReputationRep:
    also football, thats not tough either, i play that twice a week for my county and athough its wiked fun its not tough, mma is hard, was so shocked my frstlesson how much it killed me lol, tats when i realizedow easy football really was

ReputationRep:
    Wow I started this thread almost 2 years ago and it's still going :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multi_Eventer)
    HOCKY!?!?!,lol you joker.....................

Olympic Triathalon now thats a beast, also mma and kickboxing, there quite hard,,
    :woo: :eek:
    you did not just say that. also, it's spelt hockey. and also, are you thinking of field hockey? if so, yeh... "lol you joker.....................".
    we're talking about the real steel hockey, played on ice, full contact, started out on ponds of UK, now a canadian national sport.
    triathalon IS indeed a beast...
    but puhlease,.. mma?! kickboxing?! hahahahaha lol you joker :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was also thinking boxing, but now I'm not too sure. Because if you can do a Ricky Hatton, and only train in spells, then I'm not so sure it's the hardest sport there is.

Surely there must be sports that you have to train all year round for? I'd probably say something like Decathlon, because you need to train for so many different aspects.

ReputationRep:
    Id say boxing. If youre going to take and give punches for 12 rounds, aswell as trying to maintain your speed and strength, Id say that would take a lot of physical and mental toughness.

I think the proof of this is shown by the fact that matches have come down to 12 rounds from 15 a while back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan Grant)
    Id say boxing. If youre going to take and give punches for 12 rounds, aswell as trying to maintain your speed and strength, Id say that would take a lot of physical and mental toughness.

I think the proof of this is shown by the fact that matches have come down to 12 rounds from 15 a while back.
    "Boxing is for people who can't fight on skates" :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hockey is tougher than American Football, no question. I'm not sure about boxing, but I assume it's no cakewalk.

American football is tougher than rugby. I've played rugby to a higher standard than I've played American football, and even I can tell you that. You only have to look at the injuries some of these guys get (and not be stupid enough to say LOL AMERCUN ****!1) as proof. As I am sure someone else has mentioned, the pads were brought in to the game because it would have been banned due to a ridiculously high number of deaths one year.

It is not the same as rugby. In rugby you grab a guy by the legs and wait for him to fall over. In American football, you throw your body in to someones path to knock them down on impact. HUGE difference.

I notice reading back a couple of pages someone laughs at a defensive tackle for not showing athleticism. A SF player died on the field a couple of years back because of the physicality in the trenches.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.