Most Overrated Band Watch

Itchynscratchy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would like to nominate The View.

Would rather stick pins in my eyes than listen to that pap.
SmilerNuts
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Itchynscratchy)
I would like to nominate The View.

Would rather stick pins in my eyes than listen to that pap.
But are they rated that highly anyway? I think most people realise they're pretty pish.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Nichrome)
Does vector like muse? sorry I don't really read this forum outside of the Rock/Metal thread. Seriously, EVERYONE I know ****ing loves Muse. It just drives me nuts, they're just a regular ok sort of pop-rock band, nothing special.
'Black Holes And Revelations' is, I'll agree, mediocre at best. However, if you're going to dismiss Origin Of Symmetry (i.e. 'Hyper Music'; 'New Born'; 'Darkshines') as insipid you might as well throw in O.K. Computer and The Bends as well.

Incidentally; what do you make of this?
pinkpont
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by spartakist)

Another nomination- all this new indie (Sunshine Underground, Hoosiers, et al). The singers sound exactly the same and the songs are horrifically repetitive and soulless

Couldn't agree with you more there. Why on earth essentially dull and techically limited bands get any recogntion at all? A lot seems to be just singing the same line over and over again (The Hoosiers and Scouting for Girls spring to mind)

Metallica have popped up a few times, and whilst they have undoubtedly written great songs in their own right, it seems unfair that they've become the most successful of the big four thrash metal bands, when Megadeth, for example, are more technically accomplished, and arguably look at bigger issues in their lyrics. Just as an example, compare The Four Horsemen to Mechanix, and you can see that compared to one another, Megadeth are better. That's my opinion anyway.

And on the whole rap issue, I'm surprised no one has brought up Zack de la Rocha and RATM. Now there's a rapper who writes about worthwhile subjects, unlike the generic "guns, girls and cars" themes you can find in so much gangster rap. I think a distinction has to be made between the different rap sub-genres.

In conclusion, most overrated list from me are:

Green Day (how can a band who play three chords get such widespread success? Mad)

MCR/Fallout Boy (essentially dull and cliched music, it has no soul)

Current Indie bands, the Hoosiers, Scouting for Girls and Franz Ferdinand in partiular. Repetetive, moronic and once again, soulless

And probably some more, but I'd be here all day.
FyreFight
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pinkpont)
And on the whole rap issue, I'm surprised no one has brought up Zack de la Rocha and RATM. Now there's a rapper who writes about worthwhile subjects, unlike the generic "guns, girls and cars" themes you can find in so much gangster rap. I think a distinction has to be made between the different rap sub-genres.
Absolutely.
spartakist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pinkpont)

Green Day (how can a band who play three chords get such widespread success? Mad)
I'll have to raise an objection there...songs don't necessarily have to be musically complex to be good...Green Day are the daddies of that particular '3-chord' style, and if you happen to like it (although a lot of people don't, fair enough), they pull it off brilliantly. American Idiot is, imo in the top 3 albums of this decade
Itchynscratchy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SmilerNuts)
But are they rated that highly anyway? I think most people realise they're pretty pish.
they had an album that actually sold copies and appeared on tv. that's perhaps not being highly rated, but its much higher than they deserve.
pinkpont
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by spartakist)
I'll have to raise an objection there...songs don't necessarily have to be musically complex to be good...Green Day are the daddies of that particular '3-chord' style, and if you happen to like it (although a lot of people don't, fair enough), they pull it off brilliantly. American Idiot is, imo in the top 3 albums of this decade
That's a valid opinion, and if you do enjoy their music, then that's fine by me. I just feel that their music is just too simple to be credited so highly, when more accomplished musicians go by without the recognition they deserve
SBP
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by brokenheroes)
Agree with RHCP, never got them.
Will add The Kooks.
I'll second that.

(Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
Ooh ooh ooh LILY *******ING ALLEN
But not that! :p:
SuperSam_Fantastiche
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by shilbill)
But not that! :p:
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nirvana, The Beatles and Led Zepplin easily.
Nichrome
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Link me to something better. (Seriously.)
Being honest here, the only DT album I have heard is 'Images & Words' which probably isn't really a fair representation of the band since I have actually heard some good music from them since then. I'm not really qualified to comment since I'm inherently biased due to my distaste towards big flashy solos and stupidly high power metal vocals and the like :p:
m i l o
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Ordinary Boys!

I don't know who neg repped me but I only said Scouting for Girls were boring to listen to! :confused:
Ashes_to_Ashes
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Seanisonfire)
;no;
Are having a laugh?! :eek: Most people I know only like them to fit and fit into the 'scene' culture.

I'd like to nominate Foo Fighters. One of the plainest and dullest bands around and yet so obscenely popular.
Again :eek: they're great.
Seanisonfire
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jess_17_07)
Are having a laugh?! :eek: Most people I know only like them to fit and fit into the 'scene' culture.

Again :eek: they're great.
I.......disagree.
SBP
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Seanisonfire)
I.......disagree.
I.......have no comment.

More of a house/dance/electro man myself
Who's with me!?
Seanisonfire
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by shilbill)
I.......have no comment.

More of a house/dance/electro man myself
Who's with me!?
I always like a bit of a rave. :yep:
SBP
Report 11 years ago
:gthumb:
Spinal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Babyshambles.

I'm not denying the fact that Pete Doherty has talent...he just doesn't have as much as some people make out.
KwungSun
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Eric Clapton
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
6.99%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.41%
I don't think they'd understand (57)
15.32%
It might lead to more bullying (145)
38.98%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.3%

Watched Threads