The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gan
I'm not being racist, but ethnic diversity does correlate positively and strongly with crime and violence.

Surely, then, places that are rural and white would be more desirable to live in?
There's less crime, less pollution and less violence.

Again, NOT racist, just wondering why people are saying they like living in the places that are high in the list.

No need to flame/neg rep, I am just wondering.

Because diversity is good. It is nice to live somewhere where people get on regardless of their background. Plus, it makes life more interesting as you get to meet people who otherwise you wouldn't have. Although that list says Manchester is still 81% white, I don't think I'd want to live somewhere were it is like 90% white as I would find it too strange to walk down the street and for almost everyone to be white. It would just seem odd.
Plus, a lot of the petty crime committed where I live is committed by groups of white teenage lads. So, I don't really understand why an area that is diverse would be have a higher crime rate than anywhere else to be honest.
337th Mid Devon 99.2% Diverse. Very cool, it is very noticable when migrants from London move to my town, they do stand out a lot. It is partly the reason why I want to go to London, I love the diversity there.
Gan
I'm not being racist, but ethnic diversity does correlate positively and strongly with crime and violence.

Surely, then, places that are rural and white would be more desirable to live in?
There's less crime, less pollution and less violence.

Again, NOT racist, just wondering why people are saying they like living in the places that are high in the list.

No need to flame/neg rep, I am just wondering.

As a black individual who lives in a white majority area, i would love to live in a more culturally diverse place. Yes i live in London, but the borough i live in is heavily predominantly white.

I don't think it's fair to say "places that are rural and white would be more desirable." It's not all about crime, pollution and violence. I see you live in Dorset, a predominantly white area i assume? I've got friends that live in places such as devon who have told me it's the norm to use language such as the n-word and many people don't even know it's racist. I think living in a culturally diverse area your more likely to be more open minded
96 Brighton & Hove 94.3 white 1.8 Asian 0.8 Black 0.5 Chinese and other
Reply 144
Well depends on how you look at it. My borough (Windsor and Maidenhead) is 92.4% white, so not that diverse in that way, but its only 76th out of 354 places listed so is kind of diverse that way and if you include the rest of England and the other bits of the UK then I guess my borough would look a bit more diverse.

After all - and I might be wrong- but I'm sure there must be some remote scottish islands that are 100% white.

Not that it really matters anyway - lack of ethnic population doesn't mean your town/area is racist or some sort of nazi stronghold.
Number 24 Enfield. It depends on which area of Enfield you go to though, cause Edmonton is very diverse while other area are majority white.
Reply 146
*Fool'sGold*
About 98% white. Doesn't surprise me. I think there are only one or two mixed race families in my village, of about 5000 people, it really is a very white area.

Be fair to your village you've only got 5000 people so statistically your unlikely to have a massive ethnic population. Also your not going to have a massive immigrant population - I doubt many dream of moving to a small brittish village - they mostly go to cities or places like slough.
Reply 147
gm15
After all - and I might be wrong- but I'm sure there must be some remote scottish islands that are 100% white.

You don't have to go anywhere particularly remote in Scotland to find that.

My village back home is entirely white as far as I know. There once was a black fellow, inevitably a bit of a local novelty, but he went elsewhere.

Scotland had basically none of the 50s and 60s Commonwealth immigration that London and its environs did. It has in more recent times gained quite a few immigrants, but these are almost entirely European and thus white. According to the last census, Scotland's 98% white, 0.16% black, 0.32% Oriental, 1.09% South Asian - of which I imagine the vast majority are concentrated in the cities.
Its 2001 census so it would of probly changed a bit by now.
97% white, I'm not that shocked to be honest. I hardly ever seen any non-white people about (at least, not off-campus).

When I go back home (down south) I definitely notice a difference in the diversity (87% white).
No. 72 Bristol
91.8% White
2.9% S. Asian
2.3% Black
0.6% Chinese & other

However, I live in a village on the outskirts of Bristol, and it is very rare to see anyone who isn't white around here, apart from the family who own the Chinese takeaway.

Edit: More specifically I live in N. Somerset it seems (even though I'm just over the border and count myself as being Bristolian.
98.6% White
0.3% S. Asian
0.1% Black
0.2% Chinese & other.
Reply 151
I live in what is apparently the most ethnically diverse areas of the country, except it's not very diverse, there's only four countries 'supplying' it - England, Bangladesh, Somalia and Pakistan.
Rank 73
Leeds
91.8% White
4.5% Asian
1.4% Black
0.5% Chinese
Reply 153
Tower Hamlets
3rd in the country.
51.4% White
36.6% South Asian
6.5% Black
1.8% Chinese and Other

That doesn't really sum the place up very well, it completely misses that it has white enclaves like millionaires row and the nice parts of Hackney and Bethnal Green and ethnic ghettos like Banglatown and Stepney.
gm15
Be fair to your village you've only got 5000 people so statistically your unlikely to have a massive ethnic population. Also your not going to have a massive immigrant population - I doubt many dream of moving to a small brittish village - they mostly go to cities or places like slough.

Yeah very true. But ethnic diversity doesn't just mean immigrants, I mean I'm sure many of the ethnic families who live in the inner city boroughs of London are second of even third generation, and may not even be immigrants at all.

To be fair though, the whole area round here is very white, but I'm used to it really.
Leicester - 63.9% white.
Reply 156
affinity89
Because diversity is good.
If that's a fact I'm sure there'd be some evidence, wouldn't there?

Not particularly scientific, but can you guess the diversity of the most desirable places to live in the UK?
http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/best&worst/best&worst_best.html
Of course that's multifactorial but to suggest that the majority of people want to live in an ethnically diverse area is simply not true.

The fact of the matter is that most areas with high crime and high deprivation are also mostly areas with high diversity. Make of that what you will.
Renal
If that's a fact I'm sure there'd be some evidence, wouldn't there?

Not particularly scientific, but can you guess the diversity of the most desirable places to live in the UK?
http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/best&worst/best&worst_best.html
Of course that's multifactorial but to suggest that the majority of people want to live in an ethnically diverse area is simply not true.

The fact of the matter is that most areas with high crime and high deprivation are also mostly areas with high diversity. Make of that what you will.

Personally, I would hate to live somewhere that lacked diversity. I think it is key to having an open mind and a breath of experiences. Crime happens. It happens even in the sleepest of villages. People who assume diversity = crime are jumping the gun. As I said, most of the crime caused in my area is caused by bored white teenage boys and usually consists of acts of mindless vandalism, such as setting fire to the fields. It is not caused by diversity or encouraged by it. Hence, I believe diversity is good. Some channel 4 list isn't going to change that.
98.3% white. Also, the village I live in was labelled a 'white ghetto' by someone on the news once. My school was virtually 100% white. There was only 2 non-white people I can remember and they were mixed race.
Reply 159
affinity89
Personally, I would hate to live somewhere that lacked diversity. I think it is key to having an open mind and a breath of experiences. Crime happens. It happens even in the sleepest of villages. People who assume diversity = crime are jumping the gun. As I said, most of the crime caused in my area is caused by bored white teenage boys and usually consists of acts of mindless vandalism, such as setting fire to the fields. It is not caused by diversity or encouraged by it. Hence, I believe diversity is good. Some channel 4 list isn't going to change that.
So we've gone from 'everybody likes diversity' to 'everybody should like diversity'? Fair enough - but who tells you how you should think?

Latest

Trending

Trending