Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The American economy struggled to gain momentum until the Civil War, when it enjoyed a brief period of prosperity. However, then, internal turmoil ruined the Southern economy, making the North reliant on imported agricultural products and raw materials. After a few decades of build-up, the 1920's saw short-lived prosperity that once again ended in a depression. Afterwards, a war-time economy was just that - war-time. A system of credit was established, and the basis of the initial prosperity turned into a service economy, reliant on faith-based investment. Furthermore, regulation of the prosperity since 1950's is still relative; the economy has been subject to quick jumps due to it's inherently unstable nature.
    A couple of centuries clearly implies a long-term view. Over the long-term, America has enjoyed consistently strong growth for a very long time now. You are focusing on specific events that have had a negative impact, "a few decades of build-up" being the crucial factors here. The American economy has grown and America has become more and more powerful over time since its independence.

In particular, "a service economy, reliant on faith-based investment. Furthermore, regulation of the prosperity since 1950's is still relative; the economy has been subject to quick jumps due to it's inherently unstable nature"
    I have no idea what you mean by "faith-based investment", or that "prosperity since 1950's is still relative". The economy clearly has not been subject to quick jumps more than anyone else: it has experienced bust and boom just like any other economy, but its growth figures have been pretty consistent and much less jumpy than most economies in Europe and pretty much every economy elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by couture_kid)
    Becuase some (not all) of them are "brainwashed" by Fox News
    I think people who are taught to dislike their country and be ashamed of themselves are the brainwashed ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I think people who are taught to dislike their country and be ashamed of themselves are the brainwashed ones.
    I'm inclined to agree. People who complain about their problems but choose to do nothing about are worthless. Don't like the US? Be politically active or gtfo. No one likes a crybaby who sits on their hands.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.