Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't argue KCL's reputation because I have not researched the uni enough. I guess you all agree that Durham, whilst being a good uni, does not a good international reputation. In fact most people don't know about it. For certain courses Durham is a great uni, eg: English, but for many courses now there are universities which are outclassing it.

LSE and Imperial are definitly a league about Durham, and in all fairness I think you would agree with me on that. However Durham should be a top 20 university, and possibly even top 10, but with the fiddling in the new ranking systems it hasn't got there.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to add to this that i'm going to LSE and had a hard time choosing between it and Durham. If I got into KCL and Durham I'd choose Durham everytime. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with KCL - both my parents went there back in the day.

Also the rivalry between KCL and UCL goes back years to when both universities were of a very similar standard. Then some smaller, not so good colleges were merged with KCL and bought it down the tables quite a way.

P.S international tables are a load of rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reblet)
    Is your name Edwin? Such an awesome name yet such a ridiculous notion of universities.

Why in your personal opinion is it a "scam"? I'll explain why most people find Durham to be a top ten uni (as do your darling league tables may I point out).
    Durham is one of the oldest educational establishments in England, some say 3rd oldest after Oxbridge. It attracts some of the best lecturers in Britain and the world. It has consistently taught to an excellent standard for decades, almost centuries. It has a very well regarded collegiate structure which, unlike lots of unis, it has kept rather than dissolve into simple "halls of residence". It delivers top class degrees. It attracts some of the highest achieving applicants and has very competitive courses such as English It has some of the highest student sport participation percentages and has many societies which create well-rounded individuals. It has excellent employment prospects.

PLUS it is an aesthetically beautiful place with a World Heritage site. haha.

So why is London any better? It's more expensive, busier, less community driven... But at least it has better international rep! :rolleyes:
    a) UCL is the 3rd Oldest in England. Just because the bigots in the CoE gave Durham the paperwork first doesn't mean it's older.
    b) If it really did attract some of the 'best lecturers in the world' it surely isin't reflected in it's god-awful peer scoring in most if not all league tables
    c) Do you work for Sales by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Edwinnator)
    Sorry, I stand by my assertion that YOU are delusional. To say that Durham is somehow better than KCL is stretching the boundaries of reality.
    Well have fun in London where apparently everyone is 'delusional' as they hold the same belief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Stop trolling or you will receive a warning.
    And now the mod from Durham turns up. Conflict of interest much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de.novo)
    Well have fun in London where apparently everyone is 'delusional' as they hold the same belief.
    These other two people seem sensible; looks like his linking to this thread in the LSE forum hasn't resulted in the cheerleading he wanted.

ReputationRep:
    League tables are your friends so Hark! Durham be 9th yet KCL be 10th...
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/...rsityguide.php
    Notice how the top ten were exactly who I said they were earlier... It's almost as though I (someone who has lived in England all my life and has researched unis very carefully) know more about English unis than you! Shocking!
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/...sub=&x=15&y=13
    Oh nooooo! KCL is 22! THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT! How can Durham be top and KCL be 22?! A conspiracy surely? haha.

League tables don't always go your way hun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de.novo)
    Hey, that's not fair... some of us have some sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic hybrid)
    These other two people seem sensible; looks like his linking to this thread in the LSE forum hasn't resulted in the cheerleading he wanted.
    I just happen to be....slightly less tactful.
    I believe there are a total of....6 Warning Levels? Well, no harm in going up one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reblet)
    League tables are your friends so Hark! Durham be 9th yet KCL be 10th...
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/...rsityguide.php
    Notice how the top ten were exactly who I said they were earlier... It's almost as though I (someone who has lived in England all my life and has researched unis very carefully) know more about English unis than you! Shocking!
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/...sub=&x=15&y=13
    Oh nooooo! KCL is 22! THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT! How can Durham be top and KCL be 22?! A conspiracy surely? haha.

League tables don't always go your way hun
    I am arguing the case for the UoL in general which happens to be older, better, more rounded that Durham. England is not the world, lady. When you do finally decide to leave the island, people will scratch their heads and wonder wherever the hell Durham is....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ally.pants)
    I'd like to add to this that i'm going to LSE and had a hard time choosing between it and Durham. If I got into KCL and Durham I'd choose Durham everytime. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with KCL - both my parents went there back in the day.

Also the rivalry between KCL and UCL goes back years to when both universities were of a very similar standard. Then some smaller, not so good colleges were merged with KCL and bought it down the tables quite a way.

P.S international tables are a load of rubbish
    Ta-da, the view of most applicants. Someone who doesn't think "I must insult all other unis and defend mine to the hilt!" What subject are you doing?

Sorry if I sounded too harsh on KCL, it's sadly not the uni it used to be. It was probs much better in your parents' day.

ReputationRep:
    You really should stop acting in such a stupid fashion... you're going to london yes, as am I, but I know quite a few people who turned down such places to go to Durham. I think it is a far nicer city and has a much better college system. Plus it doesn't have the sort of problems LSE has with international students!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, that's not fair... some of us have some sense!
    I know. It was sarcasm, thus the inverted commas. And as a Londoner, I know that Durham is considered to better, though a lot of people do have the image that it is very traditional. Which it is, to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unsung_hero)
    he means as a Uni not a town.
    I know. I knew that at the time.

This thread is like a mental hospital...bunch of nutters who actually think Durham (what? where?) is somehow justified in asking for 8A*'s when a) they're actually rather obscure b) they're actually rather crap..
    1. Obscure? It's one of the elite unis in this country! It's one of the top history departments therefore they are well within their rights to set high entry requirements.

Its international rep doesn't match its domestic rep and they are seeking to change this. Still, what on earth does its international rep matter? We are talking about entry requirements for domestic students.

Surely a university that set out to copy another is worthy of a good round of justified criticism? Anyone with their feet on the ground (as opposed to Durham-style in the air) would know the only other university in the UK with an international reputation which deserves an 8 A* entry level are the colleges in the UoL....NOT Durham.
    So what? Stop looking at everything from an international perspective. It has no real relevance to entry requirements for domestic candidates.

Sure not all of the UoL colleges? Just UCL, LSE and KCL. Imperial aren't UoL anymore. I would have thought Edinburgh, a few other Russell Groups and possibly Warwick and St Andrews would also be there, ahead of Durham.

Also, how "have they copied" other universities (presumably Oxbridge)?

ReputationRep:
    You really should stop acting in such a stupid fashion... you're going to london yes, as am I, but I know quite a few people who turned down such places to go to Durham. I think it is a far nicer city and has a much better college system. Plus it doesn't have the sort of problems LSE has with international students!!!
    International Students are not a 'problem', they are a subsidy.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Durham is older... it was made a university in 1832 by an act of parliament.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to LSE to study Government but was rejected from the Combined Social Sciences course at Durham. That came after my offer from the LSE so I wasn't too bothered but without wanting to sound snobbish, I was slightly surprised to be rejected considering that LSE is widely regarded as the best Uni in the UK for politics and 2nd or 3rd in the world for social sciences.

BTW Edwin I disagree that KCL is better than Durham, particularly for English where they are ranked top in the UK I believe (I am slightly biased as my dad went to Durham, that's probably why they didn't let me in lol ).

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to LSE to study Government but was rejected from the Combined Social Sciences course at Durham. That came after my offer from the LSE so I wasn't too bothered but without wanting to sound snobbish, I was slightly surprised to be rejected considering that LSE is widely regarded as the best Uni in the UK for politics and 2nd or 3rd in the world for social sciences.

BTW Edwin I disagree that KCL is better than Durham, particularly for English where they are ranked top in the UK I believe (I am slightly biased as my dad went to Durham, that's probably why they didn't let me in lol ).

ReputationRep:
    I am arguing the case for the UoL in general which happens to be older, better, more rounded that Durham. England is not the world, lady. When you do finally decide to leave the island, people will scratch their heads and wonder wherever the hell Durham is....
    UoL is not older. Don't make me give you a lecture on how long teaching has gone on in our NORMAN castle and how the "paperwork" you so despise unfortunately does make us officially the 3rd oldest. Why is it better? Why is it more rounded? You may have thought my explanation a sales pitch but as least I backed my statements up (for reference you will be needing to do this in essays when you go to holy UoL).

England is not the world no. But neither is London sweetie.

As I won't be wanting to leave England straight away, I intend to get my first job here. After you have experience, a degree is merely a tick in the box. I could have five years experience and a degree from Durham or from Brown or from East Anglia and it wouldn't matter hugely. Because guess what? A degree qualifies you for NOTHING. It merely proves your intellectual ability and gets you on the career ladder.

And why do you think the people of this "little island" would be anxious to leave? We attract you and hundreds of foreign nationals here year after year purely because of the opportunities here. Where else would I want to go? America?! France?! China?! Sometimes people actually like being near their friends and family and stay in their homeland that they love. I didn't realise this was a crime.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Durham is older... it was made a university in 1832 by an act of parliament.
    Context, context! UCL was operating way before that but were denied that luxury because they believed in the freedom of conscience...

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.