*wanders off to change profile*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmrbearx)
    Did you make it yourself?
    Bought it in a retro shop :p:
    come to think of it, it was £40. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjbristol)
    i'm aware its possible to form opinions about people not based on appearance. but you said ''first impressions'' which is different to having an educated opinion of someone.
    well, for me it is possible to gain an impression of someone from things other than how they dress...

and if I was to judge someone I wouldnt think along the lines of "oh they're a rah, they're clearly a chav" etc just by clothes...

ReputationRep:
    good for you then tinkerbee, tho i suspect that even for you appearance influences impressions albeit at a subconscious level. I don't base opinions of people on how they look, but i'd be lying if i said it didnt make an impression the very first time i met them, as first impressions leave all else to the imagination so it's hard not to. i do find however that when i go out for a meal with my gf, i always wear my suit when we do this, that people are much more polite and respectful to me, older people come and chat etc yet when i dress normally i find a lot of older people avoid me (think i'm a hoody lol). sadly appearance will always play a part which i why i like to make the effort and buy nice clothes

ReputationRep:
    only a £200 coat im afraid and secondly my £100 boots

ReputationRep:
    the most i've ever spent is £90 on a coat
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I don't like to buy expensive things... My most expensive item of clothing is probably my Miss Sixty jeans. But they're damn comfy. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Most expensive overall: £400 dress which I was supposed to wear for my girlfriend's summer ball at her uni... but that I am now WAY too fat for.

Biggest investment: My very battered, much-loved black Buffalo shoes which cost £79.90 when I bought them for my 16th birthday. I wear them most days.

ReputationRep:
    I feel very poor now...

My most expensive item is my glasses for £125, but I would have been happy with cheaper ones has they had any that suited my face shape! And I've so far got 18months of use out of them, and wear them everday at the minute, so a worthwhile investment if they suit me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbee)
    Yep... not what they look like though

*wanders off to change profile*
    I know, I was only teasing :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    I know, I was only teasing :p:
    :p: Well, it makes life easier
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Personally i think you all need to spend more money on your selves. Last week i bought a pair of boating shoes and a matching yacht, those cost me £6,000,000 - a little overpriced perhaps, but worth it.

My jeans are made from a material made by weaving the hair of alpaca's with that of virgins, they were reduced to £7,000

I think my favourite is my Coat though, it's made from a mix of kangaroo, baby seal and snow tiger fur with a golden eagle collar... Mum bought me that, but i looked on ebay the other day and one exactly the same sold for £50,000

seriously, the most expensive item of clothing i own is probably D&G Jeans... but there's no chance i paid full price for them. The most I tend to spend is £60 for a jacket or coat or on shoes (I don't wear leather so I got my formal shoes from a place that hand makes them from a synthetic alternative) I cant grasp wanting to spend so much on clothes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisss)
    "The highest quality, casual, All-American lifestyle clothing for aspirational men and women." Thats there strapline. I think you can interpret that as what I ve said. And yes I do judge on apperance, its human nature.
    Just about every clothing company, from primark to prada will have a slogan or a strapline or something in their marketing that says almost exactly the same thing as that, its called advertising.

If you're trying to imply that someone who buys less expensive clothes is less shallow or arrogant than someone who does you're not putting across a very convincing argument. Why should it be any of your concern how much someone spends on something?

I mean really, who gives a **** if someone spent £200 on a jacket and you only feel comfortable spending £15?? Having expensive taste does not make someone shallow or arrogant

ReputationRep:
    My Rock and Republic jeans which I got for £99 and they're gorgeous.
    Or if you count my glasses which were ridiculous super super thin lenses ones at £301.

Hehe but wait til after exams and it's a whole different story.....

ReputationRep:
    If accessories count then my most expensive watch is 2 and a half thousand. If not then BOSS jacket which was around 1500 if memory serves. I love shoes - though I'm not entirely sure of much my collection is worth - I have Climacool trainers for tennis which were 120 and maybe around 150 or so on my actual dress shoes, can't remember.

ReputationRep:
    Dinner Suit £60, I've never seen the point in spending too much on clothes. You get what you pay for to a point and beyond that you pay for the name, fine if that interests you, but I'd rather spend money on other things.

ReputationRep:
    Prom dress 72 pounds down from 100... less than some of you! lol

ReputationRep:
    £80 jeans

ReputationRep:
    Im not going to say Im in favour or against designer clothing, but all those saying

"how can you spend xyz on expensive clothes when people are starving"

ever stopped to think how all the high street stores (primark, etc) have introduced an era of very cheap fashionable clothing? It is very well documented in the media (recent BBC 3 series, and a piece in the times a few months ago), the terrible conditions in third world factories used by many of the cheap high street brands.

ReputationRep:
    lol saturday night special that'll shut them up. nice one mate

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.