D&D Religion's "Ask About Sikhism" Thread Watch

Akhoza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 2PointZero)
But you do have rigid beliefs no? and focus isnt on life now is it? As you cant cut your hair nor can you eat meat - thus your making sacrifices no? Thus not living in the now and aiming for something after death?

Also you say life is not a curse but a gift and you wont be liberated after death etc and towards the end you say if you focus your life on God then you will be free and liberate.

You see where my confusion comes in?

Also G Star talks about Salvation after death and you say there is no yearning for salvation - unless you are from different sects etc? Like Christianity has?

That i my other questions do you have within Sikhism different beliefs like Protestants and Catholics and like Sunni and Shia?
thats liberation from the cycle of reincarnation being reborn etc, and yes there are sects but that gets wayyyyyyy complicated and they are really small
MrGuillotine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, the first linky of the thread for moi. On first looks, the article seems quite ridiculous, unless you can clarify.

Its basic argument is that you cut nails because they are "dead" while hair is living? It then differentiates to state there is a dead part and a living part of your nails. How do you make the difference between the nails and hair - both are made of keratin, a non-living structural protein. One is equally as 'dead' as the other.

Seems like a really weak argument.
2PointZero
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Akhoza)
People choose to follow Sikhism on their own accord, many people have converted to Sikhism but Sikhs themselves dont go and around and encourage conversions, people themselves should realise whats truthful and whats not
But arent you meant to help them, if I was a religious man thankfully Im not and i believed what I was following is the truth wouldnt I want to help others follow it?

I just think if you really believed it was the ultimate truth you should at least educate people about it - as this thread is doing - although there should have already been a thread about Sikhism and giving the basic facts etc as there are about other religions. If someone doesnt know about Sikihsm how are they going to realise it on here own accord?
Suave
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BSJ)
i dont know what kind of women you know.....
Believe it or not, females are also capable of growing facial hair, albeit not to the same extent as men. Surely everyone knows this...
Mr Murder
Report 10 years ago
isnt the concept of enlgihtenement in sikhism the same as buddhism as becoming an enlightened being in life and not after death.

Some of the replies are lame you'd prob be better of getting answers from a sikh message board or something.
g_star_raw_1989
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mr Murder)
isnt the concept of enlgihtenement in sikhism the same as buddhism as becoming an enlightened being in life and not after death.

Some of the replies are lame you'd prob be better of getting answers from a sikh message board or something.
Your better off , asking that question at Sikh message board.
2PointZero
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Suave)
Believe it or not, females are also capable of growing facial hair, albeit not to the same extent as men. Surely everyone knows this...
Ye I have seen a fair few Sikh women with facial hair and whats worse is I have seen some Sikhs take the micky aswell as other people naturally.
NathanL
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
flip me this thread is popular.
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mr Murder)

Init though most of us Sikhs are born in the religion and have mixed believes and were students and you know how the punjabi people party , im agnostic myself sort of but still believe in Sikhism to an extent hmm.
USingh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In sikhism the aim is merger with God, you follow Sikhism as a way of life where the only desire is to reach him. to quote Guru Granth Sahib,
"I do not seek power, and I do not seek liberation. My mind is in love with Your Lotus Feet."
Guru Granth Sahib 534

A common metaphor in Gurbani is that of the Soul being the bride, and God the groom (although God is beyond gender in Sikhism).
God is found permeating the creation, but he is manifest in a plane called Sachkhand, as this concept as found in Sikhism is not found in other religions, then these adherents of other faiths cannot get here.
Having said that, they are able to progress spiritually and are certainly not damned to hell for just being non-sikhs,if they do follow their own religions it is considered good as they all do contain love for God.
Because of the concept of reincarnation, you progress spiritually with each birth if you showed infront of God you made the effort to become closer to him.
We do not preach as Sikhism is about the student (sikh) and teacher (guru nanak dev ji) relationship. It is up to the Guru when HE decides he wants to take someone as his Sikh. Its not for other Sikhs to recruit students for the Guru!
CHAMON
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Suave)
I am because if the reason for keeping hair uncut is because it's a "gift from God", then women should apply it just as much as men. As you say, however, I don't see Sikh women with facial hair. Makes me question the policy of keeping hair uncut.
Naturally some women do not have facial hair, Those that do would bleach it, rahter than remove it. I've seen a baptised sikh woman who has facial hair but does not care. her religion is more important to her than sneers of idiots who may stare ans comment.

The turban is worn by men and women (they can be told part)

All prophets are depicted as having long hair jesus buddha mohammed krishna and so on. also the story of samson and delilah? you have hair i have hair the man next door has hair, god intends for it to be there wo why interfere with gods order (after all god made man in his own image they say) this is the image.
g_star_raw_1989
Report 10 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Plle...eature=related

For those, obcessed with the Kirpan.
Suave
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CHAMON)
Naturally some women do not have facial hair, Those that do would bleach it, rahter than remove it. I've seen a baptised sikh woman who has facial hair but does not care. her religion is more important to her than sneers of idiots who may stare ans comment.
Well then that's how it should be; no double standards for men and women.
SolInvictus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NathanL)
flip me this thread is popular.
'tis, innit.
SolInvictus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What is the significance of the greeting Sikhs give one another. I don't know hows it spelt, or what it actually is, but is sounds like Bole soni hal satshrikal.
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SolInvictus)
What is the significance of the greeting Sikhs give one another. I don't know hows it spelt, or what it actually is, but is sounds like Bole soni hal satshrikal.
Sat Sri Akal means God is truth
g_star_raw_1989
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SolInvictus)
I'm unsure.

I just say: Kidda !
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
I'm unsure.

I just say: Kidda !
oh kiddhaaaa liyeh glassy:beer: ...buraahhh lol
g_star_raw_1989
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Akhoza)
oh kiddhaaaa liyeh glassy:beer: ...buraahhh lol
Teek Thaakk Paji

Ap nar das ?

Lol.
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
Teek Thaakk Paji

Ap nar das ?

Lol.
lol mera tha ser dokda mai chullah hon pravah lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (278)
38.03%
No - but I will (53)
7.25%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (347)
47.47%

Watched Threads