UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

Rennie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know what to do. I only actually prepared for 2 days but got:

540, 600, 550 and 530. Total of 2220

Do I have zero chances of getting into medical school? I thought I'd done really well on decision anlaysis but that was my lowest score. I guessed a lot for quantative and that was my highest... and I also guessed a lot for abstract and it was my second highest.
m4n0ran
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jjkkll)
howd you find out ur scroe on the practice tests?
Mark scheme on the website.
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by m4n0ran)
Mark scheme on the website.
It is not a mark scheme as in telling you what score you have in terms of the normal distribution curve. It just tells you a percentage that no one knows what it maps to therefore, you can not predict your UKCAT score with that information.
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rennie)

Do I have zero chances of getting into medical school? I thought I'd done really well on decision anlaysis but that was my lowest score. I guessed a lot for quantative and that was my highest... and I also guessed a lot for abstract and it was my second highest.
Hey, don't worry too much. This just means you're limited in your university selection. If you're an a level student applying for undergrad medicine then it's better because grad medicine usually has higher cut off scores at selected universities. After my UKCAT test I'll help you pick some unis if you like! I have mine next week.. aven't done crap all in time for it tho! How much percent do you rekon you got on em.. did you answer all questions?
m4n0ran
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nas7232)
It is not a mark scheme as in telling you what score you have in terms of the normal distribution curve. It just tells you a percentage that no one knows what it maps to therefore, you can not predict your UKCAT score with that information.
You can if you answer the practise, use the mark scheme to see which questions you got right and calculate the score. If you just use initiative you can work out the score you would have recieved.
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nas7232)
Hey, don't worry too much. This just means you're limited in your university selection. If you're an a level student applying for undergrad medicine then it's better because grad medicine usually has higher cut off scores at selected universities. After my UKCAT test I'll help you pick some unis if you like! I have mine next week.. aven't done crap all in time for it tho! How much percent do you rekon you got on em.. did you answer all questions?
Thanks, okay. I'm doing the IB so I know which want the lowest points but I don't know which of those are big on the UKCAT or not so I would be grateful for any help. Thank you.
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can if you answer the practise, use the mark scheme to see which questions you got right and calculate the score. If you just use initiative you can work out the score you would have recieved.
It doesn't work like that.

There is no figure to know what maps which percentage to each score.
m4n0ran
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Look at past results and map it against them? I did this accurately people, whether you like it or not.
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Thats not too bad, you will just have to be careful about selecting universities like nas7232 said. Also, if you are stronger in other areas like your academic, non academic and personal statement, it should all balance out
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Look at past results and map it against them? I did this accurately people, whether you like it or not.
It still doesn't work like that. Each answer is worth a different mark, so you can only get a very rough estimate from taking a percentage.
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
It still doesn't work like that. Each answer is worth a different mark, so you can only get a very rough estimate from taking a percentage.
So rough that it would render it pretty much wrong
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alex L)
:yep:
FFCrusader
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

That's not too bad, just pick your unis carefully. It's not all about the UKCAT score anyways, you can make up for it in other areas like extra curricular activities and such so don't worry too much about it

When I did it last year I found I was guessing a lot in the abstract....
m4n0ran
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alex L)
Actually my UKCAT score was pretty close to it.
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But given that the practice test wasn't the same as the actual test you sat, that doesn't really prove much, I never get higher than a C/D in my mocks, but always end up with As in the real thing. It means nothing :confused:
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FFCrusader)
That's not too bad, just pick your unis carefully. It's not all about the UKCAT score anyways, you can make up for it in other areas like extra curricular activities and such so don't worry too much about it

When I did it last year I found I was guessing a lot in the abstract....
Thanks

Do any of the unis say what kind of UKCAT score they want?
Liar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought you were at GCSE? How come you have sat the UKCAT this year?

Sorry for being nosey :ninja:
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think he is telling lies to try and prove a point mmmh.
FFCrusader
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks

Do any of the unis say what kind of UKCAT score they want?
Some set a cut off point, so look them up in prospectuses, websites etc
Iscariot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Liar)
Ooo its interesting to see the improvement of someones score after a year as i will be taking the UKCAT again this year. I hope i can improve mine as much as you did. Well done, thats an excellent score
Supposedly Pearson say that your UKCAT score shouldn't change much between years because it's an "aptitude" test, but I think any experience of having previously done the exam is beneficial. Last year I struggled massively on the quantitative section in terms of time, but this year I finished the section with a minute or so to spare because I didn't get bogged down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads