Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My name is Ryan Meredith-Pullen.

However, throughout my entire life I've been (variously) called the following:

Mother******

So, suffice it to say that I empathise entirely.
Kater Murr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, they spell the shorter version of my name wrong, but that's my own fault for choosing an awkward spelling.
Skingods
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
mine is clare walsh

and i get

claire walsh
claire welsh
claire walls
clair wales
clar
Roobagnall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How difficult is it to spell Russell?! No one spells it rite, even my mum got it wrong on my birthday card last year!
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get cards and whatever with the name Jaime, when my name is spelt J-a-m-i-e.
RoadWarrior
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My name is 5 letters long, and stil people struggle to say/spell it
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 10 years ago
My name is Mark Tuson - I've been asked if I spell it Marc, or whatever (with a my name written down in front of them), and had Tuson spelled as Tucson, Tusan, etc...

It's often said as Chooson, or Tyooson - but it's Tuson, two-sonne (think of a combination of French and Hebrew).

CatatonicStupor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Rarely is there a wrong spelling...one friend spent years spelling my last name with a double 'th' in it, instead of 'iff' followed by 'ith'...:rolleyes: who the heck has a surname that ends in "-ithiths?" =/

Pronunciation seems to be a problem with my first name though. Plenty of teachers have told me I have a 'girls name' before I correct them and say "There's no A on the end..." - one CDT teacher spent 5 years calling me Alexandria, or Alexandra, and I spent most of that time with my head in my hands. No wonder I wanted to start getting teachers to call me Xander [though, that never happened because only my parents use that...when they're dead angry with me].
Annie72
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Before I got married my maiden name was Hurdman. I was forever having to spell it for people and then they still didnt get it right!!!!!.....Sometimes it was spelt Hirdman but usually it was Herdman!. Then when I got married I thought yay I will never have to spell my surname ever again. How wrong I was, its Glynn....but I have seen it spelt Glyn, Glinn. Its not exactly hard to spell.Thankfully my first name is really easy to spell so its not all bad.
Reverie.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most people manage to spell and pronounce Sam right, thankfully. :p:
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xSplashx)
I like my name. Its different.

I might be from Essex but I'm also Indian so got the Indian/Russian pronounciation. Like the Italians their Na is Nuh (but only some parts of India). And according to one website there isn't an r, so my mistake. Should be nuh-tah-lee.
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't matter, it's just weird for me to imagine it pronounced your way as I'm a Natalie the regular way
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Annie72)
Before I got married my maiden name was Hurdman. I was forever having to spell it for people and then they still didnt get it right!!!!!.....Sometimes it was spelt Hirdman but usually it was Herdman!. Then when I got married I thought yay I will never have to spell my surname ever again. How wrong I was, its Glynn....but I have seen it spelt Glyn, Glinn. Its not exactly hard to spell.Thankfully my first name is really easy to spell so its not all bad.
My maiden surname was Glyn
thebarmaidsmiles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try having a Welsh name.

Lowri. Low as in 'high and low' and ri rhymes with bee.

Get all kinds of misspellings/mispronunciations:
Law-ri (as in 'how')
Laurie
Lowrie
Lowry (that one's ok, makes me sound cultured and arty-like)
Lorrie
Laura
Laurence
Luli

Flgaaahhhhhh.

I've had so many arguments with people who insist I've spelt my name wrong. Seriously.
Hello_Kitty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've had a lifetime of people spelling my name wrong (Natalie). For example:
Natile
Natilie
Nathalie (which granted is one way of spelling it)
Natlie
Natulie

Jeez!
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep. both of my names, all the time. I have absolutely no idea why. I think the worst spelling of my first name was Neenna. And this girl had known me about five years. :rolleyes:
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most people I have to tell my surname mishear my name as having one d in the middle even though there isn't, because in Germany with a d it's much more common. My first name is also spelled wrong very often.
Not very surprisingly english people managed to write and pronounce my first name but my surname is a real problem.
maria0208
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My name's Maria (obv, since it's my user) Over the years, my name has been spelt:

Mariah
Maryah
Mariyah
Mareeah

Kind of wish my name was spelt like one of those, it's far more exotic :P

Then, I've been called Mariah, Marie and Mario??? Wtf?

Even my own aunt writes in my birthday cards 'Happy Birthday Marie' Thanks a lot...
SilverWings
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hanna
Hana

Louisea
Louise
Lousa

They can usually manage my surname, though.
lkjhg5
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My name gets mispronounced so much, I don't bother correcting people anymore...

Nayton
Nayfon
Nayfan
Nayven
Natan
Naton
Naytan
Nitan
Niton
Jason
Ethan
Adrian

Especially when I'm abroad, it's a mission trying to get people to pronouce my name properly..

"my name's nathan"
"naytan"
"no...nathan"
"nay..vvhon"
"nevermind, just call me naytan"
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my surname everyone gets wrong

ski
sky
skye
skeg
ske

its skey pronounced skay. It nots that hard
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed