How many of you are thinking of Oxbridge? Watch

GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lippy Lizzy)
If I only do 3 A Levels and one AS does that hinder my chance of getting in. Apparently it has to be 4???
When they say 4 at AS, they mean 4 for the 1st year of a-levels and drop one - so you have 3 A2 and 1 AS.
Shask
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jon of the North)
I got an Oxford interview and got rejected outright from Durham, Warwick and York. Aim low kids, aim low. (don't really )

God i'm still bitter. :rolleyes:
Really? Howcome? Surely you had AAA to get the interview - but they still rejected you?
rapha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Shask)
Really? Howcome? Surely you had AAA to get the interview - but they still rejected you?
There are other important factors as well such as PS, ECs etc. You cant assume that having AAA will automatically get you into top unis like Durham, Warwick and York. Many of those who apply will have those grades.
rachxl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rapha)
Why do you say that? Your predicted grades look pretty good to me. As long as you do the required subjects for your course and get the required grades you stand a good chance. Besides, grades (specially GCSE grades) are not the only deciding factor. You have more than a whole year to do extracurriculars and other things to make you a 'less boring' applicant. So why not give it a try?

Unless you dont want to go there...
I say it because I know how hard it is to get in there, regardless of GCSE grades. I will try my best to do extra curricular junk though, if not for oxbridge in particular but generally to liven up my CV... I guess I'll have to see when decision time arrives.
m4n0ran
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can't be bothered, I know if I tried I'd be the 90% or so who applied and wouldn't get in.

No need to worry about it, I want to enjoy the university I am going to and not just go to Oxbrige because it's prestigous.
Lucia_d
Report 10 years ago
Do you need work experience for certain courses? Like medicine?
John Locke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lucia_d)
Do you need work experience for certain courses? Like medicine?
For medicine, work experience is one of the most important parts of your application.
Lucia_d
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by John Locke)
For medicine, work experience is one of the most important parts of your application.
Any ideas how I could go about getting experience?
moody28028
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lucia_d)
Any ideas how I could go about getting experience?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568666
Lucia_d
Report 10 years ago
Ah, thanks!
Nyghtshade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
SilentArrow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah but im also thinkin of going to a uni abroad
Jerking My Gerking
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd like to got to St Andrews, Edinburgh or Bristol. Oxbridge wouldn't be the full package.
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nope, wouldn't have a chance of getting it, and that doesn't really bother me! Obviously it would be brilliant and everything but there's no point (for me) in wanting something that won't ever happen.
rapha
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lozz2601)
Nope, wouldn't have a chance of getting it, and that doesn't really bother me! Obviously it would be brilliant and everything but there's no point (for me) in wanting something that won't ever happen.
What?! You think its impossible to get into Oxbridge with 6A* and 5A? Do you think that you are not going to achieve your predicted grades or are you just being sarcastic? :confused:

Trust me, I've heard of people who got in with less than that...
jj11
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
i heard that people got into oxbridge with grades such as 3A*s and 1A*s. I think that you need to performance to the highest standard in the interview, get straight As in A level and AS, do work experience, do extra curiculum activities and do good in any entry exam.

I'm just guessing. That's what i think is the factors which effect getting into oxbridge.
Fiasco
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jj11)
i heard that people got into oxbridge with grades such as 3A*s and 1A*s. I think that you need to performance to the highest standard in the interview, get straight As in A level and AS, do work experience, do extra curiculum activities and do good in any entry exam.

I'm just guessing. That's what i think is the factors which effect getting into oxbridge.
Not unless they're relevant to what you want to study.
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate people who say i'm going to 'oxbridge' it shows you don't give 2 ****s about the university and you're in it for the prestige.
MarcusLL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The only reason im applying there is because of the prestige. I would rather go a London uni than go oxbridge. The course that I wish to apply for is similar to the course offered at the other top uni's.
shabanrauf
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by trance addict)
I hate people who say i'm going to 'oxbridge' it shows you don't give 2 ****s about the university and you're in it for the prestige.

Yes, that is true...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (307)
37.44%
No - but I will (63)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise