Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    Except their parents could afford to look after them for the previous 11 years of school : why all of a sudden would they need another 30 pounds?
    Probably because all paper and textbooks were provided up until Year 11?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    I can see it can help (ala story there ^^ ) but I still resent having to be purely miserable working a job I HATED to get money, whilst my parents were paying for all you to have EMA.
    Ditto.
    Just because my parents earn over a certain amount of money, it doesn't mean that I see any of it. I've earned my own spending money for the past 6 years, working in part-time jobs since I was 14. I started off on £2.75 an hour

EMA is theoretically a good idea, but I wish they would do something about the people who just fritter the money on alcohol, clothes, dvds etc, as it really isn't fair on the rest of us who have to work and scrape pennies to afford such things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Not everyone can get a weekend job.
    But if you needed the money badly enough to have EMA you could find one :rolleyes:
    I had two part-time jobs at one point when I was in school. On a Saturday I would work 8.45am to 1pm at one and then 4pm til 10pm at the other. It was rough but I got by. Sundays were for sleeeeeeep :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    But if you needed the money badly enough to have EMA you could find one :rolleyes:
    Right, that's why I've been looking for a year and still not found anything.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Right, that's why I've been looking for a year and still not found anything.
    Looking eh.

Why the troubles?

Do you live in the middle of nowhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History Lost in Physics)
    You want an answer to that do you?

My mother divorced my step father when I was 14 - I chose to stay with my step father and as a result my mother got nothing. When I was 16 my step father decided that I should live with my 'real parents' (note; i'd lived with him as my father since I was 2) - and had to move miles away from my school to the middle of nowhere. As my step father had ********* off with all the money my mother and I were very poor; with the job and EMA I saved enough money to last me the two years. I do not have an XBOX 360 or whatever ***** that is and have worked very hard for the past two years (during which i've lost half my family). Whatever you're stupid friend does on his XBOX does not effect my need of government money. And maybe you should consider that for me getting to school involved a £7 bus ticket and a 4 mile walk. Costing more than £30 a week.
    Then move to a closer school. And if you live in an area with no local schools then the goverement should supply transport, not money for transport.

ReputationRep:
    Helps me pay to go to Japan and live there for a year so I can't really complain .

ReputationRep:
    Probably because all paper and textbooks were provided up until Year 11?
    Stationary would not cost more than £10 (and even then you could get along with less), and why would you need to buy your own textbooks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayjay)
    Stationary would not cost more than £10 (and even then you could get along with less), and why would you need to buy your own textbooks
    I had to buy all my own text books in sixth form, why wouldn't you have to?

ReputationRep:
    I had two part-time jobs at one point when I was in school. On a Saturday I would work 8.45am to 1pm at one and then 4pm til 10pm at the other. It was rough but I got by. Sundays were for sleeeeeeep :o:
    You yourself admit it's rough, and it was probably detrimental to your studies. The government's trying to prevent people from having to do this in order to pay for necessities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    You yourself admit it's rough, and it was probably detrimental to your studies. The government's trying to prevent people from having to do this in order to pay for necessities.
    I don't think so. The government is giving people money to pay towards things specific for their education. My part-time job was not for this. My part-time job was for spending money for myself, which is what 70% of people who receive EMA use it for; going out, clothes, cds etc.

My point: fair enough, people should not work themselves to the bone in a part time job to pay for school materials, hence EMA is needed. But EMA should not be given to those who spend it on items for their own leisure when they could earn this money from a part-time job like I did.

And no, 10 hours a week is not that bad, it was only rough because it was lumped all on one day. It could have been a whole lot worse, and as far as I can see it was not detrimental to my studies. I ended up at Exeter and I'm the type who has to work hard to do well, it doesn't come easily. I wouldn't say that having a part-time job affected my studies at all to be honest. I still had plenty of spare time during the week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WithFlyingColours)
    Looking eh.

Why the troubles?

Do you live in the middle of nowhere?
    I think that his attitude is his problem.
    All the neg rep speaks for itself

ReputationRep:
    I think that his attitude is his problem.
    All the neg rep speaks for itself
    I think you may be right!

ReputationRep:
    without EMA i would not be able to get to school each day, let alone have lunch!!!

on £30 a week i still struggle sometimes tbh, depends on what irregular costs i incurr such as school trip payments and stationery etc

the justification behind EMA is that if a person's household income is over £30,018 (i think?) their parents should be giving them £30 a week to cover the costs of continuing their education. E.G. a student receiving £20 a week EMA should also receive £10 a week from their parents, and a student on £10 a week EMA £20 a week from their parents etc.

the unfairness is, by and large, down to the parents/guardians of the student concerned, not the EMA initiative itself.

thats how i see it anyway, of course there are loopholes such as a parent living outside of the students household contributing enough to the student's needs to warrant the non-awarding of EMA, but thats just how the cookie crumbles, overall, EMA is a god-send to many of us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    Then move to a closer school. And if you live in an area with no local schools then the goverement should supply transport, not money for transport.

Thatcher privatised all the public transport long ago............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    Duh, I would have thought that obvious. At 16+ education is a choice, you have to travel further for colleges etc, and you become a lot more independent.
    If its about extra travel then it should only be paid to people changing to a college or different school that's significantly further away.

ReputationRep:
    It's also an incentive.

One can earn more in the short term by going into full time work instead of continuing their education - this is one reason why poorer students often leave school at 16.

The incentive is this: EMA, whilst principally enabling students to physically get to and from their place of education without continuing to burden their parents so much, often provides 'pocket money' enabling students to go out, buy treats for themselves etc, so that they can have the same standard of living as their more financially able peers AND still continue their education. In a way it's health care, if you consider 'triple diagnosis': physical/mental/social.

EMA is intended for mental and social welfare as well as necessity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    if the government/council does supply transport, there is usually a cost to the person using it as well.

ReputationRep:
    if the government/council does supply transport, there is usually a cost to the person using it as well.
    Not where i come from. Anyone more than 2 miles from the school is entitled to a free bus, myself included although i don't use it. If everywhere used that system EMA could be scraped.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should all agree to disagree.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.