Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinolisss)
    My arrogant git of a tutor... well he was my tutor last year said to the kids this year that the only way to get non-deferred entry into oxbridge is to make an "open" application, and he said so confidently that, he knew that that was what the "open" application was for.

Reading this thread I am so happy that I applied completely independently (I went to school abroad), because British schools often seem to only convey stereotypes when they don't give you outright fake information. Of course, there must also be people around who were given amazing advice by their teachers etc., but the info I found online (here, on UCAS, the cambridge website and a couple others) using my common sense was extremely accurate regardless of what school I went to. Plus my school didn't set me any earlier deadlines since I sent the CAF by myself (I actually set my English teacher a deadline for the reference..). And since I didn't even dream of my school offering any kind of preparation for interview or PS advice, I didn't miss it or get false expectation of interview.

I also think it did my application good not to know anything about the "reputation" of Oxbridge - of course I knew how prestigious it was, but as at home nobody knew anything about the application process I didn't have to feel any reverse snobbery, and endure stupid rumors/stereotypes and people doubting that I'd get in. I also went for a college I liked without worrying about reputation or popularity for a second.

ReputationRep:
    That there's no point applying beacuse I didn't do a foreign language at GCSE (told to me by the man who said I didn't have to take a language at GCSE)

And from the same person, that I have to pay extra to apply to Cambridge...he's very outdated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain_cherry_tango)
    That there's no point applying beacuse I didn't do a foreign language at GCSE (told to me by the man who said I didn't have to take a language at GCSE)

And from the same person, that I have to pay extra to apply to Cambridge...he's very outdated.
    Until a year ago, both of those were right. So (at least compared to some of the things on here) pretty unmoronic. Just not quite up-to-date.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure i read somewhere in my prospectus they like you to have a foreign language at GCSE...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH123)
    I'm sure i read somewhere in my prospectus they like you to have a foreign language at GCSE...
    They used to have this thing called basic matriculation requirements which you needed to satisfy (or have a damn good reason for not meeting) in order to get a place. They included qualifications in English, a language other than English and a mathematical/science subject. At least one should be at a level greater than GCSE. They scrapped it last year along with CAF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH123)
    Its in the 2009 prospectus for Cambridge, basic matriculation requirement, but I emailed them and they said it was not necessary as of 2009 entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubbles50)
    Its in the 2009 prospectus for Cambridge, basic matriculation requirement, but I emailed them and they said it was not necessary as of 2009 entry.
    I aksed about this too. Apparently the prospectus was all sorted before the descision to scrap the matriculations was made. It does say in the prospectus though that they are being reveiwed and that the website should be checked for details :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrogant Git)
    Until a year ago, both of those were right. So (at least compared to some of the things on here) pretty unmoronic. Just not quite up-to-date.
    Although on the other hand, they foreign language GCSE requirement was always waived, and the extra fee was token (£10 IIRC), although admittedly symbolically off-putting.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thing to leave in the prospectus then, it could have put off alot of people from applying who may have been brilliant students that oxbridge would have loved...

Thankfully i did Spanish at GCSE so it didnt affect me ^^

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thing to leave in the prospectus then, it could have put off alot of people from applying who may have been brilliant students that oxbridge would have loved...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH123)
    ...who didn't have the initiative to check the website?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LH123)

Cambridge, surely? Oxford got rid of matriculation requirements much earlier.
    Anyway, they didn't leave it in the prospectus, it was too late to take it out, presumably because the 2008 prospectus had already been printed. But to be fair, they did what they could to alert people to the changes by making a press release which was picked up by all the national newspapers (as well as the BBC news website, for those people who don't read any papers) and putting the information about the scrapping of matriculation requirements all over their application site. I don't see what more they could have done, really.

ReputationRep:
    But I think those requirements were sort of waived most of the times.

I think having at least two awards in GCSE Science was a requirement until last year. That means either two single awards in for example Physics and Biology or a double award in Co-ordinate science... That was something I never had because our school does nothing else than combined science, a single award between the three sciences but they still accepted my application.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well i missed the big box saying the matriculation requirements were being removed.

Can we just use this as an example of a moronic thing told about cambridge then?

ReputationRep:
    If you are accepted, you are then given a choice of either to stick with Cambridge/Oxford OR go to Hogwarts.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.