Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I received the supplementary application form this morning. There are two sections on the form which I would appreciate peoples' ideas and suggestions on.

Choice of course: what aspects of Law at Cambridge attracted you to apply here?

and

General: is there anything else not already on your application that you would like us to know?

What did you guys write on it on these sections? I don't want to leave them half or totally empty!!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    I received the supplementary application form this morning. There are two sections on the form which I would appreciate peoples' ideas and suggestions on.

Choice of course: what aspects of Law at Cambridge attracted you to apply here?

and

General: is there anything else not already on your application that you would like us to know?

What did you guys write on it on these sections? I don't want to leave them half or totally empty!!

Thanks!
    For the first one, I wrote, "see Cambridge additional personal statement " hehehe, well, because I wrote an additional personal statement on that one which summarised everything. I'm a bit unsure now if that was the right thing to do.

The second box I left empty because they pretty much know everything now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    For the first one, I wrote, "see Cambridge additional personal statement "
    What did you write in the additional personal statement bit, though?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else fed up of people thinking if they get some good results OXbridge will be dying to have them, and if they slacked in GCSEs but are doing well at A-Level everything will be OK?

Yes these people may get in IF they do well in interview.

The thing to remember is that even though Oxbridge may not have the highest app. to places ratio, nearly everyone applying has the grades, extra curricular stuff ................... and that most applicants look remarkably similar on paper.

Many people get rejected that on paper look excellent, these people may also be perfectly capable of the demands of an Oxbridge course.

I applied to Cam. last year for Engineering, my GCSE, AS level and predicted A2 level were of a decent standard for Oxbridge, I had plenty of extra curric., work experience, CREST Gold Award, my feedback was good saying that I had performed very well in interview and in the test but they doubted my commitment to the subject, which I later found out was due to a comment in my reference about being highly suited to a career in geology!?! I had never considered this and applied to 6 engineering courses but because Cambridge had such high quality applicants they have to differentiate some how and it may come down to something as simple as that. They are not going to waste an offer if they think you might not take it.

Sorry about the rant, just getting slightly pissed off with some of the comments on this thread and wanted to tell my story.

Also out of interest the weighting of 'scoring' for places was done as follows for my college and subject:
    UCAS/Cambridge form 25%
    Personal Interview 25%
    Academic Interview 25%
    Test 25%

ReputationRep:
    This merged thread is annoying - it's too long to read the whole thing, and since Oxford and Cambridge are two seperate places, what's relevant to someone applying to one isn't of any use to someone applying to the other. Are people allowed to make new, more specific threads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lurker)
    This merged thread is annoying - it's too long to read the whole thing, and since Oxford and Cambridge are two seperate places, what's relevant to someone applying to one isn't of any use to someone applying to the other. Are people allowed to make new, more specific threads?
    the two are lumped together into 'oxbridge' because theyre very similar. advice for cambridge is relevant to oxford and vice versa. but you can start a new thread if you want to talk about something specific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    the two are lumped together into 'oxbridge' because theyre very similar. advice for cambridge is relevant to oxford and vice versa. but you can start a new thread if you want to talk about something specific.
    What I was referring to was that someone applying to Oxford won't necessarily want to read through all the posts about Girton or something. Thanks for answering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lurker)
    What I was referring to was that someone applying to Oxford won't necessarily want to read through all the posts about Girton or something. Thanks for answering.
    no problem i read nearly all the posts on here. if you have a question try posting it on this thread and see if it gets an answer, otherwise do try starting a new thread. thats just to try and keep the oxbridge stuff limited.

Edders - I sent you a private message about this. Please check.

I agree, I unfortunately don't like the merged format. It would be fine if it was up to us to move the conversation one way or the other, but when something posted as a separate topic in the "Main" forum gets moved here, it gets completely mixed with everything else, and any previous conversations are not finished.

I say keep the thread, but please stop moving other posts into here. They won't be seen by many people, so therefore we won't get the responses we would like. And there is also the huge factor of overlapping topics. If you have topic x and topic y, both with replies over the same two-day period, they'll be put in here in date order and will be completely mixed up.

Edders, if you really want to seperate the Oxbridge posts - which may be a good idea - create a sub-forum. It just does not work in a single thread, unless the conversation is left to flow by itself. Things being moved into it make it incredibly hard to read and to get sufficient responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samantha **)
    Edders - I sent you a private message about this. Please check.

I agree, I unfortunately don't like the merged format. It would be fine if it was up to us to move the conversation one way or the other, but when something posted as a separate topic in the "Main" forum gets moved here, it gets completely mixed with everything else, and any previous conversations are not finished.

I say keep the thread, but please stop moving other posts into here. They won't be seen by many people, so therefore we won't get the responses we would like. And there is also the huge factor of overlapping topics. If you have topic x and topic y, both with replies over the same two-day period, they'll be put in here in date order and will be completely mixed up.

Edders, if you really want to seperate the Oxbridge posts - which may be a good idea - create a sub-forum. It just does not work in a single thread, unless the conversation is left to flow by itself. Things being moved into it make it incredibly hard to read and to get sufficient responses.

Sam, there were sub-forums. And there was a huge uproar when they were created as many hated them. So d removed them. People won't like that suggestion. Just thought I'd let you know.

ReputationRep:
    ok ok stop pestering me. mods cant create subforums, you should PM the site admind 'd' about that.

(Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Sam, there were sub-forums. And there was a huge uproar when they were created as many hated them. So d removed them. People won't like that suggestion. Just thought I'd let you know.
    Yes, I am aware of that.

I'm just saying that I think the Main forum should either be completely main, with no attempted divisions, or there should be sub-forums. I think the current stickies are very useful, as they require the users to just post one type of message. But attempting to "hide" a sub-forum in a single thread is really incredibly difficult to read through. Topics are getting lost in the Oxbridge post. The users don't like sub-forums, so I feel it must be a complete main forum.

ReputationRep:
    well i could guess on the basis of his forum posts ( :rolleyes: ) and the competition for his course/college.

i think my chance would be about... 70%. because im 1) much more confident than i was last year 2) i have my alevels 3) ive got an impressive gap year thing lined up 4) ive done plenty of reading since last year so im generally more knowledgable.

the evil 30% would be down to 1) physics & philosophy is quite a niche course with few places (2 at exeter i think). so if few people apply im doing well, if lots then im in trouble 2) my maths skills arent very sharp compared to those who have done further maths 3) my written work isnt as relevant as it could be (both are history essays rather than philosophy essays)
    Every applicant has good A'levels. Most wouldn't dream of applying without reading first. All have extra curric things. Cambridge say the chances of these 'average' applicants getting in is about 30%. So no-one should be really disappointed if they don't make it.

Edders - we're not pestering you, just making suggestions! You said to PM you if I had a complaint, so I did. I didn't know you weren't the highest person in the forums and so my suggestions weren't suitable for you. I will PM this 'd' person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samantha **)
    Yes, I am aware of that.

I'm just saying that I think the Main forum should either be completely main, with no attempted divisions, or there should be sub-forums. I think the current stickies are very useful, as they require the users to just post one type of message. But attempting to "hide" a sub-forum in a single thread is really incredibly difficult to read through. Topics are getting lost in the Oxbridge post. The users don't like sub-forums, so I feel it must be a complete main forum.

What I don't like is when the mods 'sticky' and 'un-sticky' the main topics. Also if a mod is going to move a post s/he should post in that thread saying so, a sortof 5-minute warning. How's that? Oh, and how do you become a mod?

In fact, I've just realised - I don't need to PM 'd', because creating sub-forums is not what the people here want. I contacted you because as a moderator, you have been moving topics into the Oxbridge discussion, and that is what I am questioning. Please don't tell us we're "pestering" you - we are only commenting on how to improve the site. We're not at all angry, so don't you be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    Every applicant has good A'levels. Most wouldn't dream of applying without reading first. All have extra curric things. Cambridge say the chances of these 'average' applicants getting in is about 30%. So no-one should be really disappointed if they don't make it.
    they have good alevel predictions: i actually have good alevels results . bit of a difference. plus ive done an extra year's reading compared to the people applying this year
    but i dont expect to be offered a place, i just hope that it will be likely to happen

ReputationRep:
    they have good alevel predictions: i actually have good alevels results . bit of a difference. plus ive done an extra year's reading compared to the people applying this year
    but i dont expect to be offered a place, i just hope that it will be likely to happen

please don't think 'it's likely to happen'. this is no comment about you because I don't know you but in my experience it's often down to chance. The post A' level thing IMO is a good thing (it worked for me) but no one should assume it's likely to happen - there have been some surprises in the past. I think they should encourage post A level applicants more - they usually have more experience and more maturity. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    please don't think 'it's likely to happen'. this is no comment about you because I don't know you but in my experience it's often down to chance. The post A' level thing IMO is a good thing (it worked for me) but no one should assume it's likely to happen - there have been some surprises in the past. I think they should encourage post A level applicants more - they usually have more experience and more maturity. Good luck!
    thanks
    seriously im not arrogant and expecting an offer no matter how my interview goes. i know im going to have to pull out all the stops for my interview

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    seriously im not arrogant and expecting an offer no matter how my interview goes. i know im going to have to pull out all the stops for my interview
    You've got thae grades, which is half the battle, and you know that you are pretty much guaranteed a place at a top uni, even if it isn't Oxford. Just give your interview your all and in the future we will be seeing
    edders BSc (Oxon)

Or MSc (Oxon) or whatever course you are doing.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.