Should the death penalty be allowed in the UK? Watch

Shaun1991
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fraternité)
Yes, but this is a democracy and as such your opinion has as much power at the ballot box as mine; so in my opinion it's pretty much my duty to make you see the problems with yours.

I'm not sure how much more I can add, since I haven't perused the whole thread, though.
fair play
sarcastic pratchett fan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Shaun1991)
Well someone like this is not exactly going to be let out into society, so why waste money keeping them in our already overcrowded prisons. I believe in an eye for an eye. If you don't thats your oppinion.
Have you even read the points against this? It costs millions more to execute a person than imprioson them for life.
emmers1990
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, the death penalty should be brought back.

mmm public hangings.
Goddess Fury
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sarcastic pratchett fan)
Have you even read the points against this? It costs millions more to execute a person than imprioson them for life.
Not if you use no-frills rope.
Shaun1991
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not if you just gassed them then burnt the body.
blondy04
Report 10 years ago
No it shouldt be allowed in the uk its in humane!! the law shouldnt be able to control whether or not you keep your life they are not god!!! look at the cases where innocents have been killed! ok its few but imagine if that was someone in yourr family where is the justice in that?? there are other ways to makepeople pay for what they have done in my eyes a life time of serious hard physical labour will have an even bigger effect... just think a life in jail where you are forced to do serious laborious labour entill you feel your body is going to crumble i'd rather be dead!
Gremlins
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Shaun1991)
Not if you just gassed them then burnt the body.
Why don't we store them in camps in Eastern Europe whilst we're at it?
sarcastic pratchett fan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Goddess Fury)
Not if you use no-frills rope.
I'm not talking about the actual method of execution. I'm talking about the cost of checking out the '100% certainty'. I really suggest you read earlier posts.
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not talking about the actual method of execution. I'm talking about the cost of checking out the '100% certainty'. I really suggest you read earlier posts.
Have you read the earlier posts yourself? Go read post no. #70 on page 4 to see who I'd up for the chop.
sarcastic pratchett fan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
Have you read the earlier posts yourself? Go read post no. #70 on page 4 to see who I'd up for the chop.
Read the posts since then:
(Original post by me)
A lot of people have advocated the feath penalty only 'when absolutely sure'. This seems very strange to me. There is no such thing, outside abstract mathematics, as 100% certainty. There have been many cases of miscarriages of justice where it was thought that the persons guilt was 'certain', some of them resulting in hanging. Even confessions have later been discovered to be untrue. If you want to avoid the possibility of miscarriages of justice then you need a system like that of the USA (which is mostly, but not always, sucessful at avoiding such problems) which costs millions more than keeping them in prison for life.

What's more, it seems hypocritical to me that if you have two criminals who comitted identical crimes that criminal A (there were witnesses, he confessed, open and shut case) might be hanged whilst criminal B (jury convicted him becuase there was no reasonable doubt, but it isn't an 'open and shut' case like the other) gets life imprisonment. Surely that is not justice? In fact, it provides a disincentive to confess.

Also, most methods of execution can be inhumane, causing terrible pain to the person. There is one method which causes no pain at the event (although the mental anguish prior to the event is another thing) but it is used nowhere in the world, except in slaughterhouses for livestock. It is the introduction of nitrogen to the respiratory system, causing asphyxia and delirium. The person would literally die laughing. The fact that when the person in charge of administering capital punishment in the USA was asked if this should be introduced, he said no becuase he wanted them 'to suffer' demonstrates how many people who want the death penalty want it as a form of vengeance rather than justice.

It has also been suggested that capital punishment is a deterrent. It is not. Studies have shown that the 'deterrent' side of punishment is most effective for minor crimes - eg, illegal parking. People will specifically not park on the double yellow line to avoid the punishment. However, the 'deterrent' aim, whether it is imprisonment or death, has very little effect on serious crimes - such as murder - (I'm sure this is what people intend the capital punishment for). This is because murders are mostly committed on the spur of the moment - in a fight, etc - when people don't have time to think. The only cases where the punishment may act as a detterence is when the crime is premeditated. However, many premeditated murders ar the result of a mental imbalance; the person will commit he crime whatever the punishment. Other premeditated murders are committed when the perpetrator is convinced they won't be caught - here, once again, punishment will have little deterrent effect. Yes, there are exceptions where a more serious punishment may act as a deterrent for a potential murderer but these are few and do not justify bringing back the death penalty.

The other aims of a punishment, other than deterrence, are rehabilitation of the criminal and the protection of society. Capital punishment will obviously not achieve the former, and life imprisonment will achieve the latter for a fraction of the cost and moral problems.
Please give reasons for why the examples you gave should be executed. Would you insist on death even when you weren't completely sure they were guilty? If so, how can you justify such a possible miscarriage of justice. If not, how can you have two different punishments for the same crime?
Loxley
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The death penalty makes absolutely no sense on any grounds - practically, morally, socially... there is just no reason for it... perhaps that's why nearly every industrialised nation has outlawed it...?
Shaun1991
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gremlins)
Why don't we store them in camps in Eastern Europe whilst we're at it?
Im not talking about innocent jews, i'm talking about homicidal paedophiles, there is a difference.
Selkarn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Damn, not this again.

Yes.

People are starving to death in Africa.. money that is spent on say, some scumbag who murdered loads of children, could be spent on saving hundreds of lives in parts of the world.
Grim_the_Reaper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Selkarn)
Damn, not this again.

Yes.

People are starving to death in Africa.. money that is spent on say, some scumbag who murdered loads of children, could be spent on saving hundreds of lives in parts of the world.
Giving the money to Africa is an even bigger waste than the criminal getting it. How about putting towards hospitals for servicemen, since there are next to none?
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Selkarn)
Damn, not this again.

Yes.

Well, since it's more costly to execute someone, I'd still say that it's a waste..
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.49%
No (450)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.78%

Watched Threads