What makes you proud to be British? Watch

curtis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DayneD89)
I love this country. But we are like a slightly better version of America. But That Is why I will allways do anything I can to improve it.
Fair play dayne.
Mask Of Sanity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
you need to watch great british menu
Maybe I've seen parts of the contest and haven't made my judgement based entirely upon stereotypical British food.
TheMeister
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Even though I consider myself more Irish, I did feel slightly proud in the quickly-forgotten Olympic triumphs we had - especially when they played the anthems.
CarlaJade
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The countryside, the humour/comedy, lots of things.
level_red
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by TheMeister)
Even though I consider myself more Irish, I did feel slightly proud in the quickly-forgotten Olympic triumphs we had - especially when they played the anthems.
LOL, unless you have 20 generations irish, were born in ireland, lived in ireland you wont ever be considered irish by the irish.

Unless you become famous that is, in which case they will go back to adam & eve to claim you as one of theirs. :rolleyes:
TheMeister
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by level_red)
LOL, unless you have 20 generations irish, were born in ireland, lived in ireland you wont ever be considered irish by the irish.

Unless you become famous that is, in which case they will go back to adam & eve to claim you as one of theirs. :rolleyes:
That's a good point; lets hope I give them the reason to do just that. :yep:
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
Maybe I've seen parts of the contest and haven't made my judgement based entirely upon stereotypical British food.
maybe but i guess youve based on the judgement birtish people have manky teeth speak with a funny accent and alike, not the fact we have some very good chefs so the food isnt that bad, this is the 20th century.
Mask Of Sanity
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
maybe but i guess youve based on the judgement birtish people have manky teeth speak with a funny accent and alike, not the fact we have some very good chefs so the food isnt that bad, this is the 20th century.
Aha. My teeth aren't manky and I don't have a funny accent. Lol.

Nah, I just don't really like traditional English cuisine that much.
That doesn't mean to say all English chefs aren't skilled, because many most certainly are.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
Aha. My teeth aren't manky and I don't have a funny accent. Lol.

Nah, I just don't really like traditional English cuisine that much.
That doesn't mean to say all English chefs aren't skilled, because many most certainly are.
well agree to disagree because i love a fry up and proper chips.
pollystyrene07
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chappy)
We can't say anything, there is some limits. Or do you have your eyes closed?
well of course there has to be SOME limits in order to live in a civilised society! but we are living in one of the few countries in the world where people can generally think and be who they want without having to face drastic consequences. personally i believe that is something to be proud of...
gemgem1990
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
everything.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
We also didn't have laws against murder at one point. Did that make liberating Nazi death camps ironic?
No, that's not analagous to my point at all. I'll explain it to you in logical terms.

If X is a despicable action (such as forcing people to become slaves)
If the British did X, it is ironic to highlight X in a British patriotic song, regardless of when X became illegal.

It seems odd that "Rule Britannia", a British patriotic song, highlights slavery, when this is exactly what Britain has been guilty of.
I think that patriotic songs should keep things like that on the low.
They should highlight only good things about Britain's past, and not bad things.

And as an example, there weren't many Indian people in favour of the British occupation of India. But the British went and did it anyway, against the wishes of the majority. If Britain favours democracy so much, then it is slightly contradictory for them to do something like this. Yet they sing about it loudly and proudly in their song, "Britannia rule the waves". Patriotic songs are there to make the country look good, not bad...
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
No, that's not analagous to my point at all. I'll explain it to you in logical terms.

If X is a despicable action (such as forcing people to become slaves)
If the British did X, it is ironic to highlight X in a British patriotic song, regardless of when X became illegal.

It seems odd that "Rule Britannia", a British patriotic song, highlights slavery, when this is exactly what Britain has been guilty of.
I think that patriotic songs should keep things like that on the low.
They should highlight only good things about Britain's past, and not bad things.
Well, it says Britons shall never be slaves; which is fair enough, albeit factually inaccurate considering what the Japanese did to PoWs during the Second World War. It doesn't say 'no Britons will ever be complicit in slavery'. So far as I understand, it was written before 1740 - when Britain had not yet outlawed the slave trade.

Either way, I'd say that we have a proud history in terms of slavery, being one of the first great empires to abolish it and police its abolition.

And as an example, there weren't many Indian people in favour of the British occupation of India. But the British went and did it anyway, against the wishes of the majority. If Britain favours democracy so much, then it is slightly contradictory for them to do something like this.
I don't think there was a great deal of democracy in the 17th century.

Either way, I don't see how 'democracy' should prevent that. If I disagreed with being ruled by the UK, I could not opt out of it either: yet I still consider myself to live in a representative parliamentary democracy.
Symbea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
National pride is for people who need to look outside of themselves to find satisfaction.
Bagration
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Symbea)
National pride is for people who need to look outside of themselves to find satisfaction.
Well, no its not. Your nationality is part of your personal identity - if you want it to be.
rmyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by level_red)
reminds me of a certain american guy :rolleyes:
Symbea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bagration)
Well, no its not. Your nationality is part of your personal identity - if you want it to be.
But being proud of your country is pointless, it's not my object to be proud of. I am not responsible for its current state.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Either way, I'd say that we have a proud history in terms of slavery, being one of the first great empires to abolish it and police its abolition.
Yes, you might be right about that one.

Although it's not something I'm proud of personally - because I had nothing to do with the abolition of slavery. Why should I be proud of Britain's history?

It was all the work of other people, before my time. Maybe they can be proud of what they've done. But I'm the kind of person who takes pride in my own work, and not other people's work.
Jason Sparks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it a somewhat odd and mysterious thing that we can ever be proud of something, specifically where we assume that thing to be somehow characteristic or prevalent or 'Britishness' i.e., 'english decency' is not something which extends to all english.

However, with that caveat, i would say that my own life and what i make of it is in someway a reflection of what Britain affords to its citizens, and for that i would say the following things make me proud:

-our dedicated teachers and lecturers who take seriously their subjects
- the attention to detail and nuanced considerationthat we generally reserve for eachother (politeness, tact)

... walking down whitehall and downing street i discvered a great sense of pride in our beautiful streets and architecture..
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
Yes, you might be right about that one.

Although it's not something I'm proud of personally - because I had nothing to do with the abolition of slavery. Why should I be proud of Britain's history?

It was all the work of other people, before my time. Maybe they can be proud of what they've done. But I'm the kind of person who takes pride in my own work, and not other people's work.
I didn't say you should - indeed, I made that point myself previously. However in this case, I did say 'a proud history' not 'a history you ought to be proud of' - I personified Britain to some extent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (1)
20%
Pro-humanity (4)
80%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise