Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zef99)
    Both your intelligence and grammar are poor. Go find out for yourself.
    Well allow me to ask the question then: what worthy contributions have black individuals and cultures bestowed upon society? I have been subjected to several Black History Months and I'm still at a loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zef99)
    Both your intelligence and grammar are poor. Go find out for yourself.
    Ehm no? If you make a claim, back it up.

P.S You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    Depends what you mean by contribution. Obviously without slaves America wouldn't be nearly as successful as it is now.
    Don't really see how we could settle this in a way you'd be happy with, i said the contributions were not EQUAL. Considering that currently the black american population is about 12.4% i can't see how you could say it was equal! On a per capita basis, again, not equal.

I'm not saying there are not black achievements, but i think it is clear that america was a country founded and for the most part developed by white people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_...lack_Americans

It is clearly NOTHING about "tipping the scales" or trying to "rewrite history". The reason why it is not evident is because black contribution (As well as other ethnic minority's) have been downplayed, even ignored. Much of modern 'american culture' has its roots in ethnic minorities cultures, and again the success of America was fuelled in a large part by slavery.
    Says who? You can't just make points without attempting to explain them.

Are you seriously suggesting that america is the world richest country due to slavery? I think you need to look at some history and then you would realise that the south has been, and still is, economically less sucessfull than the (slavery free) north. The source of america's wealth is in large part down to the natural resources of the country such as coal, oil, gas and vast amounts of productive farmland. Not to mention its manufacturing and creative industries. Slavery was economically successfull only for a short period of time, in a specific part of the USA.

Yes, there is an agenda to it, I would have thought that was self-evident. It's not propaganda as educating people on history is meant to be factual. Obviously you get the odd afrocentric.
    If its got an agenda, then the history has been spun, therefore it is propaganda.

Black history month is trying to overcorrect for poor recognition of black contrubution, and as such it is posivtive discrimination. Its not a cessation of "downplaying black achievement", it is the glorification of it. There is a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness! I have not read the thread at all so excuse me if I have repeated anyone.

Those of African origin have been oppressed for so long. After the oppressed gained liberation, the oppressor changed their form of oppression. The oppressor now "brain washes" the formely oppressed, through media and such alike, into a state of self-pitty and worthlessness to discourage them from achieving anything of significance.

Thus, events like "Black History Month" are created to enlighten the formely oppressed of African Origin of their potential.

I know I used oppress alot, but I didn't want to use any specific races.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arminius)
    Don't really see how we could settle this in a way you'd be happy with, i said the contributions were not EQUAL. Considering that currently the black american population is about 12.4% i can't see how you could say it was equal! On a per capita basis, again, not equal.
    What are you talking about, contribution is not necessarily proportionate to overall wealth or population.

I'm not saying there are not black achievements, but i think it is clear that america was a country founded and for the most part developed by white people.
    Who ever said it was not founded and developed by white people? That in no way means that it would have been possible without other ethnic minorities, exploited and demonized to achieve it.

Says who? You can't just make points without attempting to explain them.
    Like you did? I did however explain my point:

"The reason why it is not evident is because black contribution (As well as other ethnic minority's) have been downplayed, even ignored. Much of modern 'american culture' has its roots in ethnic minorities cultures, and again the success of America was fuelled in a large part by slavery."

Are you seriously suggesting that america is the world richest country due to slavery? I think you need to look at some history and then you would realise that the south has been, and still is, economically less sucessfull than the (slavery free) north. The source of america's wealth is in large part down to the natural resources of the country such as coal, oil, gas and vast amounts of productive farmland. Not to mention its manufacturing and creative industries. Slavery was economically successfull only for a short period of time, in a specific part of the USA.
    Yes. Without slavery America would not have been in any position to assume the global powerhouse it has become. It is like building a house, without the original foundations.

If its got an agenda, then the history has been spun, therefore it is propaganda.
    Clearly you do not understand the meaning of the word agenda, I suggest you go and look it up in a dictionary - it has nothing to do with history being spun or propaganda.

Perhaps you are thinking of the common phrase "hidden agenda"?

Black history month is trying to overcorrect for poor recognition of black contrubution, and as such it is posivtive discrimination. Its not a cessation of "downplaying black achievement", it is the glorification of it. There is a big difference.
    In your opinion. It's not positive discrimination in my mind my any stretch of the imagination. It is a recognition of success that have been marginalised, ignored and even forgotten. After all, it isn't taught widely in schools - like white history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    Who ever said it was not founded and developed by white people? That in no way means that it would have been possible without other ethnic minorities, exploited and demonized to achieve it.
    There is no point in historic "what ifs?", maybe the white people would have achieved as much without the blacks, maybe less, maybe more? There is no way to know.

QUOTE]Like you did? I did however explain my point:

"The reason why it is not evident is because black contribution (As well as other ethnic minority's) have been downplayed, even ignored. Much of modern 'american culture' has its roots in ethnic minorities cultures, and again the success of America was fuelled in a large part by slavery."[/QUOTE]

You have not explained the last sentence, which was the one i referring too. I have said that most of america's wealth and success is down to the successes in taming the continents natural resources, the expansion west, the industrialisation of the north. I think this refutes your point that slavery is a substantial contributor to the present wealth of the united states.

Yes. Without slavery America would not have been in any position to assume the global powerhouse it has become. It is like building a house, without the original foundations.
    Britain, France, Germany, Japan - none had slavery but were all powerhouses of the 19th and early 20th century world economy. INDUSTRY is the reason these economies, and later America became wealthy. Not slavery. If you were right then all great economies at the time (say 1840) would have been using slaves - but they weren't - they were using local (paid) folk in factories. The relative agriculturalism of the american south (due to slavery) holds it back economically and has done for almost 200 years.

Clearly you do not understand the meaning of the word agenda, I suggest you go and look it up in a dictionary - it has nothing to do with history being spun or propaganda.
    From: http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_18...35/agenda.html

Meaning number 3: "an underlying personal viewpoint or bias"

In my view, Black History Month is history with a black (i.e personal) viewpoint with a pro-black bias. As you have said its all about promoting awareness of black achievement, sounds pro-black to me.

Perhaps you are thinking of the common phrase "hidden agenda"?
    It is an agenda, - its true intention is secret so i guess yes, its a hidden agenda.

In your opinion. It's not positive discrimination in my mind my any stretch of the imagination. It is a recognition of success that have been marginalised, ignored and even forgotten. After all, it isn't taught widely in schools - like white history.
    White history is taught in schools? Only white guilt nowadays:sigh:

I think you'll find there is actually more emphasis on multiculture, immigration, and various minority histories then there is on the origins of whites. Its precisely this sort of over-compensation that makes it positive discrimination.

I have no problem with matters of black history being taught, i merely object to it being given a special place within the curiculum or undue emphasis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolutionary)
    Oh my goodness! I have not read the thread at all so excuse me if I have repeated anyone.

Those of African origin have been oppressed for so long. After the oppressed gained liberation, the oppressor changed their form of oppression. The oppressor now "brain washes" the formely oppressed, through media and such alike, into a state of self-pitty and worthlessness to discourage them from achieving anything of significance.

Thus, events like "Black History Month" are created to enlighten the formely oppressed of African Origin of their potential.

I know I used oppress alot, but I didn't want to use any specific races.
    Right, and do you want to justify why non-black Americans are forced to write praising assignments on the peaceful, loving man in your avatar?

In 2009, if anything, Americans of European origin are the oppressed.

ReputationRep:
    its, obvious the OP is a racist White dude. A Nazi, KKK or National Front sympathizer. There´s no point responding to him any longer. This is my last response, and I urge fellow TRSers to do the same. Dont be fooled by his constantly changing flags. He´s no Tamil, never been to Japan or Africa, and revels purely in hatred. Imagine someone taking on the position of an Anonymous Creep over the internet just to spit his racist venom. I reckoned he´s been burned by a black guy. Just like a White man that lost his girlfriend to an African-American male, last november in the US; and went on a rampage with his car, knocking down any Black fellow in his way: Even ended up knocking down a White man, with much furry, mistaking him for Black, just before he was apprehended by law enforcement officers. Now in jail awaiting trial. Do you need a proof for that??? Just GOOGLE it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    Right, and do you want to justify why non-black Americans are forced to write praising assignments on the peaceful, loving man in your avatar?

Ignorance at its finest.

Men and women like Malcolm X are praised for their courage in representing a minority of no positive future at the time.

I respect your point of view and opinion but if you do not know of a subject, do not speak on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prospective LLB)
    Dont be fooled by his constantly changing flags. He´s no Tamil, never been to Japan or Africa, and revels purely in hatred.
    Honestly I couldn't care if you thought I was a pygmy straight out the Congo jungle. I'm Tamil and damn proud of it buddy. I changed flags from Japanese back to American because people kept neg-repping me for being an ethnic Japanese nationalist, which of course I am not. I take it you're from "Naija" and am offended that I don't fall head over heels over your country.

(Original post by Prospective LLB)
    There´s no point responding to him any longer. This is my last response
    Bye then Mr insignificant 17 posts. What a loss to the world.

I notice you're not able refute any of the facts and figures I posted in my other threads. The fact that you think I'm a white supremacist is laughable. Would a white supremacist start threads claiming the physical superiority of West Africans, the intellectual superiority of Ashkenazi Jews and support the fact that blacks have larger penises?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolutionary)
    Ignorance at its finest.

Men and women like Malcolm X are praised for their courage in representing a minority of no positive future at the time.

I respect your point of view and opinion but if you do not know of a subject, do not speak on it.
    Like most Americans, I know quite a bit about "brother Malcolm". I understand and sympathize with the tragic oppresion diasporic Africans have historically suffered in Amerikkka. I also understand the circumstances under which Malcolm X came to fame. Perhaps instilling racial pride in African-Americans was worthy.

But come on Malcolm X was no MLK. MLK was a hero. Malcolm was just a bigot. I'm not white but I'm quite disgusted at Malcolm X's comments and attitudes towards the "white devils". Don't tell me you defend that sh*t?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    Well it's that time of year again. Just a couple days to go before Americans of all hues start celebrating Black History Month.

In case you're unfamiliar with the concept, Black History Month is a time when American TV schedules are crammed full of informative programs and documentaries dedicated to exploring the cultural richness and history of African-Americans. A usual focus is showcasing the inventions of African-American individuals, usually an umimpressive list of "inventions" like peanut butter and the door stop.

My question for you: why should African-Americans have an entire month dedicated to exploring their history and contributions to world civilization when white Americans, who have certainly contributed just as much, are not granted such a program? Would you support a White History Month to showcase the achievements and contributions of the European-American population?
    I'm sorry, but this is the most pathetic question I've seen all week here on TSR - and that takes some doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    I'm sorry, but this is the most pathetic question I've seen all week here on TSR - and that takes some doing!
    Fantastic. Now what do you have to contribute to the debate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    Like most Americans, I know quite a bit about "brother Malcolm". I understand and sympathize with the tragic oppresion diasporic Africans have historically suffered in Amerikkka. I also understand the circumstances under which Malcolm X came to fame. Perhaps instilling racial pride in African-Americans was worthy.

But come on Malcolm X was no MLK. MLK was a hero. Malcolm was just a bigot. I'm not white but I'm quite disgusted at Malcolm X's comments and attitudes towards the "white devils". Don't tell me you defend that sh*t?
    Until he made his trip to Mecca. He was killed because of his 180 degree change in belief of racial of segregation. No?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    Well it's that time of year again. Just a couple days to go before Americans of all hues start celebrating Black History Month.

In case you're unfamiliar with the concept, Black History Month is a time when American TV schedules are crammed full of informative programs and documentaries dedicated to exploring the cultural richness and history of African-Americans. A usual focus is showcasing the inventions of African-American individuals, usually an umimpressive list of "inventions" like peanut butter and the door stop.

My question for you: why should African-Americans have an entire month dedicated to exploring their history and contributions to world civilization when white Americans, who have certainly contributed just as much, are not granted such a program? Would you support a White History Month to showcase the achievements and contributions of the European-American population?
    I always thought Black history month was extremely racist. How about Chinese people or Indians? (or any other races).
    Black peoppe weren't the most oppressed people on the planet by any means - just one oppressed race along with loads of other oppresed races.
    White history month would be pointless though - the 19th and 20th century is pretty much all dominated by white politics (western that is, ie. Europe America).
    Heck, whats the point of having a history month anyway, if people don't care about their heritage I doubt a month of it would change their views.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahahaha. Do you read the Daily Mail by any chance? Is political correctness going mad? Are all our problems caused by immigrants?

ReputationRep:
    Well mate, this is how I see it.

After they were taken from their homes in chains and put into pits of accommodations and stacked upon on each other like corpses as they were taken to an alien country where they were treated as the sub-human slaves everyone believed them to be, robbing an entire race of potentially their place in history alongside Asians and Caucasians; having a month to take a closer look at those black men and women who overcame it all to make a foot print on the beaches of History is perhaps the only thing we have left to integrate these people into our past as they are now integrated into our present.

Black people are not the only people to have been oppressed, true, but to my knowledge the servitude of an entire group of people based on their skin colour and thus considered sub-human to such an extent, in our western hemisphere has been those of blacks. If this was just about those who were once oppressed but now are not, then it wouldn't be called Black History. How many people know the history of Africa? Compare that to those who know the history of Europe, or the West, or even Asia itself. In fact, ask a common person in public to name one historical reference in regards to Africa and they'll most likely refer to slavery. It was one of the sad facts that we knew before attending the next History class on our timetables in school. To reiterate, I don't believe this concept is just fuelled by e.g. slavery, but the shift of social ethics and standards. Like we celebrate feminism and other civil liberties, there is nothing that resonates more with people, certainly in the West, than the liberation of an entire ethnicity. Women, like you're mother, weren't allowed to vote or do certain things men could at one point. However, any black friend you have now would have been spat on and shunted, not just in a dictatorial regime hell bent on someone to blame, but almost universally.

How did we get from there to where we are now? I think that's what Black History is all about. To me it's really simple and I can't understand why people are trying to complicate just to have a conversation about something.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i dont think i would celebrate white history month
    the fact is that black people have been oppressed and it is still going on today. the whole point of black history month is not to just remeber what happened, but to acknowledge the fact that it happened and to make people more aware of it.

ReputationRep:
    http://video.google.co.uk/videosearc...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

ReputationRep:
    Happy Black History Month, America!

Before someone inevitably posts a list of black "inventions" I thought everyone might like to check this website out: http://www33.brinkster.com/iiiii/inventions/

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.