The most Dangerous University in Britain! Watch

Poll: Which is the most dangerous University in Britain?
The University of Nottingham (69)
28.28%
The University of Manchester (25)
10.25%
The University of Glasgow (40)
16.39%
Queen Mary, University of London (53)
21.72%
Other (57)
23.36%
This discussion is closed.
she
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RNBen)
I don't mind you calling me that, I can have my own opinions regarding people and if you don't agree with them then that's your choice. I am sure you too find chavs and people like them annoying, it just gives you more of a sense of meaning to judge me for being open regarding my opinions of them.
By saying "people who can't afford to go out are annoying" you aren't just calling chavs bad. You're calling all poor people "bad". Or maybe you think all poor people are chavs.

That's the snobbery in your opinion, or at least how you worded it.
Grapevine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The OP's a ****.
zeb191
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My bro's at Queen Mary, and he had a shooting, two stabbings, and a ton of robbings on his road outside the campus when he was staying there.
abdom0n
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can't believe Nottingham is more ruff than Manchester or London O_o
RNBen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by she)
By saying "people who can't afford to go out are annoying" you aren't just calling chavs bad. You're calling all poor people "bad". Or maybe you think all poor people are chavs.

That's the snobbery in your opinion, or at least how you worded it.
I actually said the people who are 'annoying' (aka those who wish to cause trouble) cannot usually afford to go out, not "the people who can't afford to go out are annoying" as you seem to have chosen to twist it.
she
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RNBen)
I actually said the people who are 'annoying' (aka those who wish to cause trouble) cannot usually afford to go out, not "the people who can't afford to go out are annoying" as you seem to have chosen to twist it.

The way you phrased it does not make it any better.
Absurd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wherever you end up.
RNBen
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by she)
The way you phrased it does not make it any better.
Can't really say I am that bothered, I know what I meant, but clearly I should have elaborated a lot more as it seems to have taken a long time to explain a simple statement.
munn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i don't know if this is a joke or not.
Glasgow Uni is situated in pretty much the safest part of Glasgow, Caley and Strathclyde are both in the city centre which is much much worse, and even then, still not bad at all.
I've walked all across the city centre and west end at pretty much every time of the day and the closest I've ever come to trouble is when I said to my mate "makes ye proud, doesn't it?" when some ned had a union jack draped over his shoulders and he overheard me and thought I had insulted him. And all that amounted to was a "what did you say?"

That said, I'm not daft and avoid the East End and the far far south (pollock, basically) like the plague, which it is of course
moody28028
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd say Nottingham. The only person who I know who went there (well Nottingham Trent, but same city) got stabbed.
necessarily benevolent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wherever the OP turns up. His posts are dead boring.
jessiainscough
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by moody28028)
I'd say Nottingham. The only person who I know who went there (well Nottingham Trent, but same city) got stabbed.
Yeah, but Notts Uni and Trent are in different areas of the city - Trent is much closer to the city centre, and Notts is in a relatively quiet 'nice' area
cactus kid :)
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by River85)
The same can be said for all of the other cities as these have more than one university.

Exactly, Bloomsbury and many other more affluent parts of London are plainer and don't have the same. Heritage and culture isn't just a Neo-classical building or a museum (and even these neo-classical buildings and museums aren't found in Kensington, Bloomsbury etc. alone).

I don't hate London, really Just think Bloomsbury's a bit of an overrated place to live and not really student friendly. But this is only my opinion and Bloomsbury isn't all of London.

Remind me to PM you in the next couple of days. I'm sure you'll look forward to it. Off to the Pink Floyd Soc soon :woo:
Sorry i highlighted Glasgow in particular because people seemed to be saying that the London uni was a dangerous one because of the particular area in London it was in, the point i was making was that other Glasgow unis are there and could arguably be said to be in a more dangerous area. Didn't make that clear before, sorry.
Bill Shakespeare
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I always find these 'fear of crime' things quite stupid.
Personally, I've spent a lot of time in the west end, city centre, east end and south side of Glasgow - during the day and at night. I've never had any problems. I can imagine this being similar for most people in every city in the country.
0404343m
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cactus kid :))
Sorry i highlighted Glasgow in particular because people seemed to be saying that the London uni was a dangerous one because of the particular area in London it was in, the point i was making was that other Glasgow unis are there and could arguably be said to be in a more dangerous area. Didn't make that clear before, sorry.
As much as I love TSR's impression that Glasgow is a drug infested, knife ridden slum of a glorified factory (it gives me no end of amusement the people who are put off because they think they're guaranteed to get stabbed), I have to agree that Glasgow cannot be the most dangerous University in Britain. Since the other two Unis there are in, or closer to, rougher parts of the city (and Caley is planning to kill off its student population by moving its campus to the east end in 2015), then Glasgow can only be, at worst, the third least safe University in Britain.

Interesting fact: Crime stats for Glasgow's West End < Crime stats for Edinburgh University's location. Will TSR take any notice? Methinks not.
IrrationalNumber
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I vote Warwick
Alex D
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Every place has it's rough areas. Trust the bell-end that is the OP to quantify a city's usually incorrect (at least on TSR anyway) reputation to the university that is in said city.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
school of hard knocks obv
Benny_b
Report 9 years ago
Went to visit a mate at Queen Mary the other day, she lives in Bow. I thought it was very nice and east London was great (caught it during some good weather though). Obviously we only went to nice places but aren't all cities like that...avoid the nasty places and you won't get into trouble.
*AllyBaba
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:mad: People calling Manchester Gunchester makes me mad.

It's Salford that gives us a bad name!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.41%
No (376)
72.59%

Watched Threads