Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    If you "adore accurancy" then you must hate "Mr" and wish for it to be reformed, no?
    No. I prefer tradition, in things such as this.

ReputationRep:
    if someone really cared about your marriage status at a job interview they could just easily ask or look at your hand, could they not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    if someone really cared about your marriage status at a job interview they could just easily ask or look at your hand, could they not?
    No they can't ask. It's illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    No they can't ask. It's illegal.
    but they could still easily look at your hand and see your ring?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    but they could still easily look at your hand and see your ring?
    If you don't want them to know you can remove the ring. I will be. Employers make assumptions, particularly about young married women.

ReputationRep:
    The difference is that it doesn't really matter to an employer whether or not the man is married, but if they see a young, married woman they think she's going to start breeding and take loads of time off work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MilitantSheep)
    You know what offends me? The PC brigade going out of their way not to offend me.

This! (I deleted the bit I didn't agree with).

I'm Dr now so it doesn't matter, but I'm not married there for I was Miss. Ms is excellent when corresponding with a female who's marital status you don't know - they usually sign off in a manner which tells you this when they reply and from there I use the correct title.

ReputationRep:
    'Ms' is best. You wouldn't hear a thirty year old unmarried bloke being addressed as 'master', so why call a thirty year unmarried woman 'miss'- this equivolent of a five year old child. To me at least, it smacks of the Victorian era when women were used by men and for men in marriage.

Young women, hell all women, face so much discrimination in the workplace it makes me rage. Angry feminist alert

ReputationRep:
    I'm not bothered, as long as I know they're only trying to be polite. 'Miss' is fine unless I get married !

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be Miss until I get married. Then Its Mrs all the way. Calliung yourself Ms. just looking like your trying to cover something up.

ReputationRep:
    Miss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinklemonade-xo)
    I'd like to be Miss until I get married. Then Its Mrs all the way. Calliung yourself Ms. just looking like your trying to cover something up.
    I don't understand your logic. :confused: So are men 'trying to cover something up' when they call themselves Mr?

The bottom line is that a man's marital status is no bodies business, and yet a woman's marital status defines her. That's plain sexism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    I don't understand your logic. :confused: So are men 'trying to cover something up' when they call themselves Mr?

The bottom line is that a man's marital status is no bodies business, and yet a woman's marital status defines her. That's plain sexism.
    Thats true, never thought of it like that. Yet that doesnt bother me.. you?

ReputationRep:
    Right now, I like Miss. I travel with my dad every now and then, and since obviously we have the same surname it just takes away that awkward assumption that some idiots make that I'm his bit on the side. As if he'd be so lucky!!

I remember when I was younger I insisted on Ms because that's what my mum likes for herself.

I don't know what I'll want to be called when I'm older - suppose it depends on my opinion then and also what my actual marital status is...

ReputationRep:
    I am Miss and proud to be a Miss. I don't like Ms. It sounds like you're hiding from what you are.

ReputationRep:
    Miss
    I'm not married, and have been under the assumption for the past few years that 'Ms' means you've been married before?! :s

ReputationRep:
    I've called myself Ms since I was about 14, and will almost certainly do so for the rest of my life. If men can just use Mr all their lives, I see no reason why women should have to use a title referring to their marital status.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The only time I've called myself Miss is when I worked in a nursery school, and that's because all of the members of staff were either Miss or Mrs, and 3/4 year olds call everybody Miss anyway...

Other than that, I can't think of any reason why I'd ever want to be called anything other than Ms. What's the point?

(Original post by Angela Brown)
    I am Miss and proud to be a Miss. I don't like Ms. It sounds like you're hiding from what you are.
    Which is? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angela Brown)
    Or that you're married and have retained your maiden name for professional reasons (a journalist with a good rep prior to marriage/a researcher who had publications prior to marriage and who is known by their maiden name).

ReputationRep:
    I am a Miss and always will be, even if I do marry one day I dont want to change my name. I dont think that names and titles have the same meaning that they once did. I am sometimes called Mrs Williams, which is my Sons surname, and my partner has once been called by my surname. I think its because people are so careful not to upset anyone they try and cover all the bases and this can upset more people.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2009
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.