Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    No. Im not a MRL. I think we should do our best to cope with inevitable climate change. I just dont think its caused by humans.

ReputationRep:
    What are your Predictions on the results of the next election? on TSR?

Also, what are the Libs Position and some of the following issues:
    -Overcrowding of Prisons
    -Relationships for Trannies/Homosexuals
    -Cannabis
    -Monarchy
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't think now is the time for predictions, as a lot is based on manifestos, and odviously I have only seen one and thats in development.

On overcrowding expect a bill soon. Overcrowding is a major problem which must be addressed, but the prison service has many other problems. Many of which willl be adressed in that bill.
    We believe (as I hope all parties do) In equality.
    Cannabis should be legalized. You wern't around for our attempts to do so at the beggining of this term but we will be trying again, possibly in the next term.
    Personally I am in favour of keeping our monarchy. It brings tourism money into the country which I think would be lost without it.

ReputationRep:
    What's your policy towards immigration?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Podgeykins)
    Speaker, what is the liberal democrats stance on the nationalisation of Northern Rock? Was it successive? What would you have done differenly.
    I fully believe that the nationalisation of Northern Rock was the right thing to do.

Let's face it, the regulatory system has been extremely relaxed during recent years and this allowed banks to engage in extreme fractional reserve banking. When the housing market went into freefall and the Bank of England had to eventually reduce interest rates to try to stimulate spending in the economy as a whole, the banks were unable to get a lot of their loans back. The media helped fuel the public's worst fears and the public then started to panic (though somewhat understandably from their perspective) and withdraw their savings.

The banks, in particular Northern Rock, were really being crushed at this point. To summarise the above paragraph: no money coming in, loads of it going out. If this had been allowed to carry on, Northern Rock would have collapsed eventually, but not before it carried out a series of housing repossessions (and sold these houses for a cash injection to keep it afloat). That would have been disastrous for Britain's hardworking families. The government had to prevent this from happening, and to signal it's (somewhat dubious) confidence in Northern Rock, the bank was nationalised.

Since then, the bank has agreed to lend out £14bn in loans over the next two years. The government had been crying out that the banks weren't lending enough. I was convinced, and I still am, that the way to resume credit flow is to give conditional financial support to banks (the condition being that they do a certain amount of lending)- this is what is happening now with Northern Rock. So yes, I believe that this move will be successful, and no, I wouldn't have done it any differently (though perhaps a bit quicker...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    What do the Lib Dems consider a greater evil, inflation or unemployment?
    It's a difficult question.

If we had an inflation problem, we would suffer the following problems:
    -a devalued currency
    -and consequently an increase in the price of imports (though on the bright side, businesses could afford to export more)
    -interest rates would have to be raised, and this would increase the costs for businesses and also reduce the disposal income of consumers. Both of the latter factors, when combined, could have a disastrous effect on the economy.

If we had an unemployment problem, we would suffer the following problems:
    -reduced tax receipts
    -greater strain on government resources (especially with an increased uptake of the job seeker's allowance, etc.)
    -reduced spending in the economy (which could fuel more unemployment)

However I feel that the unemployment problem would cause less of a headache if we were trying to solve it. As is being done in America right now, the government would be able to stimulate demand by increasing its spending. Inflation would not be a problem here as the reduced demand from the increased unemployment levels would have reduced spending anyway (since overall, people were spending less). So the greater evil for me would be inflation, though I must stress that it is the lesser of two evils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Podgeykins)
    Also, what are the Libs Position and some of the following issues:
    -Overcrowding of Prisons
    -Relationships for Trannies/Homosexuals
    -Cannabis
    -Monarchy
    I'm not as informed as some of my fellow Lib Dem members on prison overcrowding or cannabis, so I won't give a conclusive opinion on those issues.

With regards to the monarchy, I definitely support keeping it. It's often heard nowadays that 'Britain has no identity, etc. etc.'
    Well, the Queen and her predecessors are a symbol of our heritage and this country's history. The image of the Queen is synonymous with the pride that we feel at being British, so we should definitely keep the monarchy.

With regards to relationships for transexuals and homosexuals, they should have equal rights, end of. I firmly believe that anything less than that is tantamount to discrimination against one particular group of society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I don't think now is the time for predictions, as a lot is based on manifestos, and odviously I have only seen one and thats in development.

On overcrowding expect a bill soon. Overcrowding is a major problem which must be addressed, but the prison service has many other problems. Many of which willl be adressed in that bill.
    We believe (as I hope all parties do) In equality.
    Cannabis should be legalized. You wern't around for our attempts to do so at the beggining of this term but we will be trying again, possibly in the next term.
    Personally I am in favour of keeping our monarchy. It brings tourism money into the country which I think would be lost without it.
    So you think tourists come to the country just for the queen?

The tourists would be here anyway, the monarchy doesn't bring tourism money.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The queen does. People dont come just to see the queen, they come to see 'typical britain'. In london the other day i saw tourists taking pictures of each other in an old style phone box. Even if they never visit buckingham palace, to get rid of her is to lose a part of our identity, and our identity is what brings tourist. They certainly dont come for the weather!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that Hebe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hebe001)
    With regards to the monarchy, I definitely support keeping it. It's often heard nowadays that 'Britain has no identity, etc. etc.'
    Well, the Queen and her predecessors are a symbol of our heritage and this country's history. The image of the Queen is synonymous with the pride that we feel at being British, so we should definitely keep the monarchy.
    I think I'm going to be sick. Pride we feel at being British? National Identity? Two deeply flawed concepts.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think pride in your country is a good thing. It draws in tourism and as long as you dont take it to an extream and dont think it makes you better than other cultures there is nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing fatally wrong with a constitutional monarchy, in fact our system has provided considerable stability since 1688, if its not broken why fix it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by davireland)
    There is nothing fatally wrong with a constitutional monarchy, in fact our system has provided considerable stability since 1688, if its not broken why fix it.
    Same could be said of the privatisation of the rail network.

ReputationRep:
    I think pride in your country is a good thing. It draws in tourism and as long as you dont take it to an extream and dont think it makes you better than other cultures there is nothing wrong with it.
    I disagree. I don't think that having pride in your country is meaningful, you feel pride for something that you have had no part in and have only had the chance to witness it through a random event. I am pleased to be British and I genuinely love Britain, but I am not proud of it.

And sadly having pride in your country is scarily close to thinking it better than others.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Its not close. One is an extream of another. I call it pride, you can call it what you want. I dont think we are better than other cultures, but we do have our own culture that should be present in this country

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why cultures are seen as having intrinsic value - all they do is divide people and cause conflict.

And as for the monarchy, I'd say it's one of the most abhorrent things about this country. I don't know how you could justify it, unless of course you disagree with the concept of meritocracy.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Iv explained how we can agree with monarchy. If your going purely on economy it brings in a lot of tourism money i think we would lose without our culture. Its not like tourists have much else to come here for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotsofsnails)
    I don't see why cultures are seen as having intrinsic value - all they do is divide people and cause conflict.
    Exactly. The british "culture" is not only incredibly diverse and regionally specific (compare say the culture in london with the culture in Yorkshire) and so to refer to it as one entity almost meaningless, it is a culture that continually and necessarily changes and has done for millennia. You cannot force a culture on people, whether they be British or an immigrant.

ReputationRep:
    Iv explained how we can agree with monarchy. If your going purely on economy it brings in a lot of tourism money i think we would lose without our culture. Its not like tourists have much else to come here for.
    If we got rid of them, and then expropriated their wealth and property, and then opened up all their homes as tourist attractions, we'd have loads more money than we would have. All their wealth is stolen from the taxpayer anyway so I think it would be justified.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.