Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    you sound pretty bitter right about now.

ReputationRep:
    The Sun. It's the most-read paper in the country, so it's corrupting a lot of minds. As do most newspapers, actually.

ReputationRep:
    The Conservative party; religion; The Sun (and all other tabloids); The Daily [homophobic, racist, sexist and generally reactionary] Mail; X-Men; etc.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    liverpool fc and steven gerrard
    they reli make my blud boil :rant:
    dnt get me started on rafa benitez

ReputationRep:
    I don't like how all the indie kids like all the same bands. It's all Friendly Fires, Los Campesinos, Beirut, Animal Collective, or anything straight outta a Brooklyn loft-apartment. It's boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Los Campesinos!, The Long Blondes ( ), The Cribs, Pull In Emergency, The Rakes, Friendly Fires, Late Of the Pier...

A lot of these have been hijacked by Radio 1, but they're all amazing.
    This annoys me - why does your music = "real" music?

And also, what's wrong with Radio 1 playing those songs? Surely if you like the bands so much you'd be pleased they were getting more airtime?

ReputationRep:
    eastenders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dorito)
    Kings of Leon.

Some people actually think they are a new band.

And most of the people who like them have never heard their earlier stuff.
    WHY does it matter if people haven't heard their earlier stuff, or think they are a new band?

Surely if you are a fan of them, you'd be happy they were growing in popularity and becoming successfull?

I'm so fed up of this whole "this band was really good but then it went and got all successful on me - how dare they" attitude.

ReputationRep:
    For me, it's this whole indie/MUSIC IS MY LIFE/skinnies and converses/festivals/"good times" stage we are going through. I can't wait for it to leave, the sooner people join my bandwagon and hate it the better.

Oh and Facebook. And films about cars. And I wish everyone hated Robert Pattinson, because then he would be forced to marry me :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Prep - I did it LONG before everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    if everyone didn't like the same things i don't like
    then that would mean everyone liked the same things i like
    and it's more fun sitting enjoying something whilst thinking to yourself "damn that guy's an idiot for liking that"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    This annoys me - why does your music = "real" music?

And also, what's wrong with Radio 1 playing those songs? Surely if you like the bands so much you'd be pleased they were getting more airtime?
    1) My music is real because the bands aren't it just for the money - they really believe in what they're doing. It means so much more when you know the band really appreciates you buying their record.

2) When they get big, they play big venues, which is rubbish. The intimate gigs can make you leave thinking "Wow - life is amazing."

3) Bands on major labels are compromised with what they put out. The label only want things that will sell, so if the mainstream won't like it, they won't put it out. Indie labels are less concerned, so the most exciting music is put out on them.

4) People who don't love music 'like' your band, and it makes me really angry. They'll say something like "Oh, I like that song." when it means so much more than that.

5) I can't say I like indie anymore, because I appear like one of them. I don't care about being individual or whatever, but people assume by indie, I mean the mainstream stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rwalling1)
    only 12 year olds? I wouldn't be so sure! :mad: I know sooooo many 16/17 year olds who are obesses with HSM/Hannah Montana/Jonas Brothers etc and it does my head in!
    Lmao mee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    WHY does it matter if people haven't heard their earlier stuff, or think they are a new band?

Surely if you are a fan of them, you'd be happy they were growing in popularity and becoming successfull?

I'm so fed up of this whole "this band was really good but then it went and got all successful on me - how dare they" attitude.

Normally i'd agree with you, but with it being kol it does annoy me too. I adored their newest album when it was first out, I thought all the songs were brilliant, but since their radio 1 coverage I totally hate sex on fire, use somebody and revelry now. I mean sex on fire was played in a club I was in on saturday, where all the chavs go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    im the opposite, i find something that i really like (whether its music, film, literally anything) but i can't find people who i can share my interests with
    Exactly, I find a really amazing book, song or film and then ask someone if they have seen it and they always say no. So I hold the people who do like the same stuff close and the rest of the time I just play music really loud and hope people may hear it and grow to like it...:p:

ReputationRep:
    Fahrenheit (Please why not use °C like the rest of the world), people not using the metric system and Christianity. I have a total hatred for that religion, I have my reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    Hiphop/R&B/Gangsta Rap/Anything else like that.

Pretty much that whole genre.
    I hate this /\ above when people write off 3 whole sub genres of music. but then again, hate is a strong word for me to have used and I suspect it is for Meagz aswell... just out of intrest, seeing as you HATE alll Hiphop/R&B/Gangsta Rap what kind of music do you like? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    1) My music is real because the bands aren't it just for the money - they really believe in what they're doing. It means so much more when you know the band really appreciates you buying their record.

2) When they get big, they play big venues, which is rubbish. The intimate gigs can make you leave thinking "Wow - life is amazing."

3) Bands on major labels are compromised with what they put out. The label only want things that will sell, so if the mainstream won't like it, they won't put it out. Indie labels are less concerned, so the most exciting music is put out on them.

4) People who don't love music 'like' your band, and it makes me really angry. They'll say something like "Oh, I like that song." when it means so much more than that.

5) I can't say I like indie anymore, because I appear like one of them. I don't care about being individual or whatever, but people assume by indie, I mean the mainstream stuff.
    You do know you aren't superior to everybody else, right?

People who are like this really annoy me. They think that because they like different music, it makes them better and more interesting than everybody else.
    Personally, I think that if you're a real fan of a band, you'd want them to be as successful as possible - so they can achieve their dream, rather than wanting them to hold back for selfish reasons. And if they're that good, surely you'd want other people to know about them so they can experience their music too.

And I'm sorry, I don't see how any fan of music can say that seeing a fave band playing at any gig is rubbish. Get over yourself much? You aren't deep, and just because people "like" a song that you do to, it doesn't make their appreciation of it any less valid.

Everybody says this, but - surely you can say you like what you like. If people are as unique as they'd like to think with their music tastes, and that everybody else doesn't "get" it - surely it doesn't matter to them what "the mainstream" think? Besides, most people I know who are like this automatically think that everybody else knows nothing about music anyway (e.g. you saying people only "like" a song), so why does it matter to them what people think? That seems to me like it's conforming just as much as you say bands do when they become big.

I apologise if this comes across as harsh, and (for the most part) it isn't directed at you, but at all the people who are like this because it really, really, grates after a while.

ReputationRep:
    Those horrible dead baby jokes and all this hype about Robert Pattinson. He really isn't that good looking

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.