Turn on thread page Beta

What are the popular universities at your school? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizB)
    The London ones, Warwick and oddly enough the seaside ones e.g. Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Southampton. It's like a lot of people went hmmm we've lived in land all our lives...let's go to the beach!

Then there are a couple for De Montfort, Loughborough and Bristol as well.

Also if we get our grades four of us will be going to Oxford but that's a bit of a fluke. It's the highest number my school has gotten into Oxbridge in a long time.
    Southampton doesn't really have a beach...

ReputationRep:
    When I was at school, most people who got their grades went to Strathclyde or Glasgow. I think one went to Cambridge and one Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    At my school it's definitely Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham and Manchester. I think cos we're in Nottingham people want somewhere that's not too far away, plus they're great for nightlife.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say London and Southampton are the two biggies. There's a few for Bristol, Durham and Nottingham every year, plus a few for Scottish unis and around 10 successful Oxbridge applicants. And this is a comprehensive sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_D_B)
    30-40% go to Oxbridge (mostly Oxford) and the rest go to the usual suspects generally. Imperial, LSE, UCL, Durham, Warwick, etc. Not many people at all go to Bristol because everyone at my school seems to get rejected by there. :rolleyes:
    30-40%??? Are you a private school or something?

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff, Swansea... if you dare leave Wales, Warwick or Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    I'd say London and Southampton are the two biggies. There's a few for Bristol, Durham and Nottingham every year, plus a few for Scottish unis and around 10 successful Oxbridge applicants. And this is a comprehensive sixth form.
    Any particular reason why Southampton's so popular? I live in Southampton and it's not exactly spectacular in terms of nightlife etc. I suppose it is quite cheap to live in, and some of the departments are really renowned but so are other unis.

Kent and NTU :\.
    And also Sheffield Hallam.

I'm the only one going to St Andrews, or even indeed a Scottish university.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield, Leeds, and Nottingham.

Oxbrdige, UCL LSE Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    Most of the people from my school (I'd say about 80%) go to either queen's or ulster because they're local!

ReputationRep:
    Either Plymouth or stay at college to do a foundation degree. Most of them have to stay in Plymouth because they have children. I think I'm one of four (out of 14 people) moving away.

ReputationRep:
    leeds, liverpool & manchester
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Manchester unis, Liverpool unis, Leeds unis and Edge Hill :indiff:

everyone mostly wanted to stay local or at the very least stay in the north lol. only me and one other person applied to a southern uni (excl oxbridge)

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff, Bristol, Bath, Exeter, UWE, Plymouth, Southampton. Mainly because they're all relatively close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Either Plymouth or stay at college to do a foundation degree. Most of them have to stay in Plymouth because they have children. I think I'm one of four (out of 14 people) moving away.

huh ? children ?

are these older students or something :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are. I'm one of the youngest there and I'm 20.

ReputationRep:
    Most I know are going local; Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Keele, Birmingham, etc.

But a fair number are going to Bangor and Leeds Met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    Any particular reason why Southampton's so popular? I live in Southampton and it's not exactly spectacular in terms of nightlife etc. I suppose it is quite cheap to live in, and some of the departments are really renowned but so are other unis.
    I think it's because Southampton's so close to London really, my school is in London and all. It's far enough away to have your own life though, I guess, and according to someone I know who's going there, the nightlife is supposed to be pretty good!

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow. Pretty much 75% of my year are going to a university or college in Glasgow this year, the majority to Glasgow University and others to Caledonian and colleges.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.