Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    People like Olivia Colman and Colin Morgan are being mentioned to succeed Matt. If there is one rule... it should be that any actor/actress that has had a role, however small/brief, be ruled out.
    I do love Colin though. The two would NOT work together and I don't think COleman would suit the part IMO

ReputationRep:
    I wish someone like Anthony Stewart Head would do it, he can do comedy and he can be dark like in school reunion.

Don't want another young one as the Doctor needs some authority to himself so a person in their late 30's is good to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Jean Brodie)
    But I only realised how good a Doctor he is during the Series 8 finale
    How have you seen a finale that is a whole series away? We just finished series 7!

(Original post by Jarred)
    It's weird thinking that he'll have been in for about the same amount of time as Tennant had. It seemed like Tennant was in the role forever, whereas Matt's era has flown by. Old age I guess.

Just annoyed that he's going in a Christmas special. Christmas specials are rarely as good as proper episodes, I'd have liked to see him go in a finale. In Christmas specials they seem to often try to cater for the lowest common denominator, it's like the "casuals" in the gaming world. I don't want this to be a casual romp, I hope they give Matt a proper dramatic send off.
    Actually I think I would prefer him to go in an epic episode somewhere in the middle of series. If kept quiet it would be a huge shock for the audience!

ReputationRep:
    Have a feeling that Damien Molony might be the next doctor!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    Few quotes from series 6 finale making me think that the ending which went "Doctor Who?" isn't as cheesy anymore (In spoilers because it's a bit long)

Spoiler:
    Show
    The Doctor: What’s so dangerous about my future?

Dorium: On the Fields of Trensimore, on the Fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never ever be answered.

The Doctor: “Silence will fall when the question is asked.”

Dorium: “Silence must fall” would be a better translation. The Silence are determined that the questions will never be answered, that the Doctor will never reach Trensimore.

The Doctor: I don’t understand, what’s it got to do with me?

Dorium: The first question — the oldest question in the universe — hidden in plain sight. Would you like to know what it is?

The Doctor: Yes.

Dorium: Are you sure? [skulls turn] Very very sure?

The Doctor: Of course.

Dorium: Then I shall tell you. But on your own head be it.

Churchill: But what was the question? Why did it mean your death?

The Doctor: Suppose there was a man who knew a secret. A terrible, dangerous secret that must never be told. How would you erase that secret from the world—destroy it forever—before it can be spoken?

Churchill: If I had to, I’d destroy the man.

The Doctor: “And Silence would fall.” All those times I heard those words, I never realized it was my silence. My death. The Doctor will fall.

Dorium: So many secrets, Doctor. I’ll help you keep them of course.

The Doctor: Well you’re not exactly going anywhere are you?

Dorium: But you’re a fool nonetheless. It’s all still waiting for you. The Fields of Trensimore. The Fall of the Eleventh. And the question.

The Doctor: Goodbye Dorium.

Dorium: The first question! The question that must never be answered! Hidden in plain sight! The question you’ve been running from all your life! “Doctor Who.” “Doctor Who.” “Doctor Who”!

I wonder what The Fall of the Eleventh is referring to
    Wow some of that makes so much more sense now than it did then! I guess the Fall of the Eleventh is his death or downfall, or the realisation he made at the end of the last episode. We've seen Trenzalore in the last episode and I think the question was asked when they were trying to find out his name, but there was no mention of the Silence.

But the most interesting bit for me is this:
    The Doctor: Suppose there was a man who knew a secret. A terrible, dangerous secret that must never be told. How would you erase that secret from the world—destroy it forever—before it can be spoken?

Churchill: If I had to, I’d destroy the man.

The Doctor: “And Silence would fall.” All those times I heard those words, I never realized it was my silence. My death. The Doctor will fall.
    Perhaps the terrible, dangerous secret is about John Hurt's character, who we know did something terrible, but until now he has been forgotten. Now that the Doctor has found John Hurt's 'Doctor', the name of the Doctor will be tarnished by the atrocities, the Doctor will fall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    How have you seen a finale that is a whole series away? We just finished series 7!
    I can't believe I actually have to point out that it was a typo. Could you not guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Jean Brodie)
    I can't believe I actually have to point out that it was a typo. Could you not guess?
    Well I'm sure there are some fans out there who consider what we just watched as Series 8 considering the long split. Just making sure you weren't one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine there was a Doctor Who and Sherlock fusion. I would so love that?? What kind of story plot would lead to that?

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I'm thinking of Richard Ayoade (Moss in the IT Crowd) to play the next Doctor. I think it's time to have an awkward Doctor, which will be interesting to see. Also, I would quite like an older actor to play him as I've kind of had enough of the Doctor acting childish, and I haven't had an experience of an elder Doctor. However, Moffat would probably want to either keep the same type of Doctor, or go completely out the way and have a senile female Doctor, just so he'd be remembered forever.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not as big a doctor who fan as some people on here, but I'm weirdly disappointed that Matt Smith is leaving as The Doctor. I think it's that I weirdly have something in common with being born in Northampton and being a Blackburn Rovers fan, just like Matt Smith. Whoever is taking over is going to have a big shoes to fill. I heard Rupert Grint will be next, but as good as an actor as he is, I somehow doubt that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Actually I think the whole 'young male Doctor and young attractive female companion who falls in love with him' thing has been done to death.

My hope for the companion role would be having two or more separate companions (not a couple like amy and rory), at least one of whom isn't human.
    I completely agree with this. I was really hoping that when the Ponds left, the new companion would change things up a bit. But hopefully the new Doctor will change the format instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HK786)
    WHY DOES HE HAVE TO LEAVE?!?!?!?!?! He was on part with David Tennant if not better. I just hope they don't give the role to a black actor just to satisfy those retards that say the show is Racist. And that goes for a women being cast too. I'm not racist,I just think the doctor should remain white and male, it suits the role better. Even if someone from my ethinicity was cast I would be against aswell it since it just wouldnt be right for the show. More importantly, the next doctor should not be cast on colour or gender but who is the best actor for the role.
    So you're saying that it would be impossible for a woman and/or a non-white person to be 'the best actor for the role'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brocklehurst95)
    I'm not as big a doctor who fan as some people on here, but I'm weirdly disappointed that Matt Smith is leaving as The Doctor. I think it's that I weirdly have something in common with being born in Northampton and being a Blackburn Rovers fan, just like Matt Smith. Whoever is taking over is going to have a big shoes to fill. I heard Rupert Grint will be next, but as good as an actor as he is, I somehow doubt that.
    Rupert Grint has been suggested by bloggers and the media, among many other actors, but the role hasn't been cast yet :p:

There's almost no point in speculating really since the previous patterns suggest someone who's only had a few roles before. It's fun guessing though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Key Phone)
    So you're saying that it would be impossible for a woman and/or a non-white person to be 'the best actor for the role'?
    No, he's saying that the decision should be made purely on who is right for the role, and he doesn't think anyone other than a white male would be right for the role. He's saying that the decision to cast a non-white actor, for example, should be taken only if it's the right thing for the part, and not just to face up to critics who have accused the show of racism. Which I think is fair enough really!

edit - I mean it's fair enough to cast purely on what's right for the show and not to make a point, I don't think it's fair enough to say that only a white male could do the part. I don't see how skin colour or ethnicity affects the part in any way tbh. Gender does though...

ReputationRep:
    Rupert Grint has been suggested by bloggers and the media, among many other actors, but the role hasn't been cast yet :p:

There's almost no point in speculating really since the previous patterns suggest someone who's only had a few roles before. It's fun guessing though
    It's going to be interesting to see who will be next! I always found the new doctors to be strange at first (remember that Amy Pond fish fingers episode?) because they weren't like the old doctors but grew to like them over the series

ReputationRep:
    No, he's saying that the decision should be made purely on who is right for the role, and he doesn't think anyone other than a white male would be right for the role. He's saying that the decision to cast a non-white actor, for example, should be taken only if it's the right thing for the part, and not just to face up to critics who have accused the show of racism. Which I think is fair enough really!

edit - I mean it's fair enough to cast purely on what's right for the show and not to make a point, I don't think it's fair enough to say that only a white male could do the part. I don't see how skin colour or ethnicity affects the part in any way tbh. Gender does though...
    Earth is a planet. Gallifrey is a planet. Earth has different ethnicities. I'd expect Gallifrey to be the same. I'm Asian and I don't see a problem with it, it'd be weird if he changed gender seeing as there are also Time Ladies (Romana and Rani).

ReputationRep:
    http://www.tickld.com/t/125114

Oh Tickld :')
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Iepnauy)
    http://www.tickld.com/t/125114

Oh Tickld :')
    :teehee: I'm not sure I could cope with it, hilarious as it could be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The order i have them in is 4, 2, 1 3, 7, 5, 6

Was half tempted to put 7 above 3 but the multi-part stories won the day.

For episodes the ones that stand out are (in no particular order)...

Nightmare in Silver
    Asylum of the Daleks
    Snowman
    Pandorica
    Byzantium
    The Doctors Wife
    End of time (all parts)
    End of series 4 (all parts, standout for turn left)
    Fires of Pompeii
    The Master returns (all parts)
    The girl in the Fireplace
    Army of Ghosts
    End of Series 1

Best multi-parter was the end of series 4, best individual episode was the girl in the fireplace.
    Yeah I'd go with that to be honest! Series 4 if we're including the specials was by far the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    Earth is a planet. Gallifrey is a planet. Earth has different ethnicities. I'd expect Gallifrey to be the same. I'm Asian and I don't see a problem with it, it'd be weird if he changed gender seeing as there are also Time Ladies (Romana and Rani).
    Yes... if you read my post I'm one of those arguing that it doesn't matter what skin colour or ethnicity he is. He completely changes everything about his body and appearance, so obviously his next form could have different coloured skin. It makes precisely no difference...

We know that Timelords can change gender - there was a discussion about it in The Doctor's Wife where the Corsair was mentioned, and it was said that he had been both male and female in different regenerations. So it's only logical that the Doctor could be female too. I don't think it would suit the role, but it's theoretically possible within the confines of the show.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.