Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by SciFiBoy)
    I should look forward to seeing said bill, but it raises the question of why your leader answered my question as he did (the implication of it, at least from what I could tell, was that your party would not support tax rises?)
    It is possible that the party will decide not to support that. As I said, the bill we are currently working on is in the early stages of development. I would suggest quoting paddy here, as I've shed as much light on this as I can

(Original post by paddy__power)
    X
    Over to you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I should look forward to seeing said bill, but it raises the question of why your leader answered my question as he did (the implication of it, at least from what I could tell, was that your party would not support tax rises?)
    Not supporting X tax rate in X context =/= not supporting tax rises as a policy.

ReputationRep:
    Not supporting X tax rate in X context =/= not supporting tax rises as a policy.
    Where's my reply hombre? I got 2 votes for it including one of your party.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Where's my reply hombre? I got 2 votes for it including one of your party.
    Votes?

Feel free to join a party and draw up a bill :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Votes?

Feel free to join a party and draw up a bill :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    It is possible that the party will decide not to support that. As I said, the bill we are currently working on is in the early stages of development. I would suggest quoting paddy here, as I've shed as much light on this as I can
    Over to you
    hmm, okay then.

it was implied by your suggestion that higher taxes were not something you saw as positive, frankly if you dont think its good to tax the obscene bonuses in the city, then what taxes can you say you support?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    hmm, okay then.

it was implied by your suggestion that higher taxes were not something you saw as positive, frankly if you dont think its good to tax the obscene bonuses in the city, then what taxes can you say you support?
    I just answered this in more detail and my ****ing **** internet cut out.

1) It wasn't implied, that is just your incorrect interpretation.
    2) You asked about a specific rate of tax in a specific context, to translate that to a broad policy on all taxation makes literally no sense.
    3) I didn't say I didn't support taxing them, I said not at that rate.

ReputationRep:
    I just answered this in more detail and my ****ing **** internet cut out.

1) It wasn't implied, that is just your incorrect interpretation.
    2) You asked about a specific rate of tax in a specific context, to translate that to a broad policy on all taxation makes literally no sense.
    3) I didn't say I didn't support taxing them, I said not at that rate.
    okay then, what is it about taxing them at that rate you object to? surely it would be of huge benefit to the tresuary and also popular with the people...

in what way would you suggest such a tax would not be positive? the fact a few obscenley rich people might object? (frankly to quote one of there cohorts, "let them eat cake", the rest of society has been made to suffer under the yoke of there incompetence, it is high time they themselves were made to pay the price)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    okay then, what is it about taxing them at that rate you object to? surely it would be of huge benefit to the tresuary and also popular with the people...

in what way would you suggest such a tax would not be positive? the fact a few obscenley rich people might object? (frankly to quote one of there cohorts, "let them eat cake", the rest of society has been made to suffer under the yoke of there incompetence, it is high time they themselves were made to pay the price)
    Companies would just stop giving monetary bonuses and would do it in shares instead, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Companies would just stop giving monetary bonuses and would do it in shares instead, for example.
    we should also tax shares and stuff then.

They are already taxed in a way... and no they should not be taxed any more.

Speaking for tax, do Labour find the current system of tax satisfactory or should there be change? :holmes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Then they will stop giving bonuses and basic salaries will increase. I also don't think small bonuses that people earn are that bad. The issue is better approached with a higher tax band.

ReputationRep:
    Then they will stop giving bonuses and basic salaries will increase. I also don't think small bonuses that people earn are that bad. The issue is better approached with a higher tax band.
    however we do it, they should definitley be paying much higher taxes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    however we do it, they should definitley be paying much higher taxes
    Everyone earning a lot should - that it is a bonus is irrelevant.

:hello:
    This is a general Labour question but I'd like and answer from you too

Do you all find the current system of tax satisfactory or should there be change? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone earning a lot should - that it is a bonus is irrelevant.
    sure, I just find it mighty annoying that they got £14bn of bonuses whilst people with disabilities are being FORCED off benefits and stuff
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by tehFrance)

Do you all find the current system of tax satisfactory or should there be change? :holmes:
    Note that earlier I stated that we are working on a tax reform bill that will be in the House in the House fairly soon.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tehFrance)

Note Dayne's response

sure, I just find it mighty annoying that they got £14bn of bonuses whilst people with disabilities are being FORCED off benefits and stuff
    Aye, so do I. But slapping a 90% tax rate on bonuses fixes nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Note Dayne's response

Aye, so do I. But slapping a 90% tax rate on bonuses fixes nothing.
    fair enough, I apologize if my posts have been a bit blunt or anything today, im in a very bad mood and do not feel good at all
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    fair enough, I apologize if my posts have been a bit blunt or anything today, im in a very bad mood and do not feel good at all
    I know the feeling, don't worry. A few days ago I was in an atrocious mood and it spilled onto here quite heavily.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.