Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can we ask each other questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maisie__x)
    What needing to know how many ATP/NAD is made in each bit? Yeah you need to know that as well I think.
    Sorry for all the Qs , but what's the Net ATP and reduced. Nad + FAD produced as my book and revision guide are telling me diffrent things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLegalDealer)
    So Sodium hydrogencarbonate is a source of CO2 when measuring rate of photosynthesis but when measuring rate of respiration it absorbs CO2 ??
    In a respirometer , its soda lime that absorbs CO2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kell123)
    In respiration, its soda lime that absorbs CO2.
    Thanks ! so is soda lime used in repirometers and sodium hydrogencarbonate is used in photosynthometers ?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for all the Qs , but what's the Net ATP and reduced. Nad + FAD produced as my book and revision guide are telling me diffrent things?
    Per molecule of glucose:
    ATP: 2 molecules in glycolysis, 2 molecules during Krebs and in ox phos. 26 molecules which makes 30 molecules altogether, however this is only a theoretical number.
    NADH: 2 molecules in glycolysis, 2 molecules in Link and 6 molecules in Krebs so 10 molecules together
    FADH: 2 molecules in Krebs only

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ! so is soda lime used in repirometers and sodium hydrogencarbonate is used in photosynthometers ?
    i always put NaOH/KOH/NaHCO3 for both since in one mark scheme, i think it said reject soda lime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    It's slightly annoying this. Basically you are lied to at A level. NAD doesn't really accept two hydrogens.

The oxidised form is NAD+ (or just NAD). A molecule loses two hydrogen atoms. NAD then accepts one hydrogen atom (proton + electrons) and one election (which means 1 proton and 2 elections overall) from the molecule. The second electron comes from the second hydrogen atom (H --> H+ + e-). This just leaves a proton. It is charged and isn't bound to NAD.

This is why people often use the notation NADH + H+. NADH is how the molecule looks but doesn't take in to account the second proton that isn't bound. NADH2 tells you there is a second hydrogen but doesn't tell you it is charged and not bound. So using NADH + H+ is the most correct. All are valid though.

Yeah, I thought it was confusing. Thank you!
    By the way, I recognised your name straight away from previous threads.
    You really do not know how much of a difference you have made with your youtube videos - Me and friends actually went through all of your videos together at the beginning of this year because we knew that our teachers would not teach us like you did.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tewas)
    i always put NaOH/KOH/NaHCO3 for both since in one mark scheme, i think it said reject soda lime
    Can I just say NaHCO3 for photosynthometers and KOH for repirometers to play it safe

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say NaHCO3 for photosynthometers and KOH for repirometers to play it safe
    yes that seems like a good idea - might do that too

ReputationRep:
    Glycolysis,links and krebs cycle occurs twice for every glucose molecule? why does this happen again?

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone have any predictions of what might come up in the F214 paper tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Using the CGP book for this, let me get this straight, cell membrane and plasma membrane is interchangeable right? Keeps using cell membranes sometimes than switching to plasma membrane, what is that about?

ReputationRep:
    sorry to be a pain..
    the texbook says (pg60) the inner membrane with its transport proteins can control entry and exit of substances between the cytoplasm and the stroma inside the chloroplasts

does this mean there is cytoplasm in the intermembrane space?

EDIT im so stupid it means the cytoplasm of the cell hahahahhahahahha how am i going to pass

ReputationRep:
    Hey please may someone tell me the difference between a primary pigment and accessory pigment? Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's in the OCR book that isn't mentioned in the CGP book that we might need to know?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have a model answer on how an A.P. is transmitted through a non-myelinated neurone ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flygerianmc)
    Using the CGP book for this, let me get this straight, cell membrane and plasma membrane is interchangeable right? Keeps using cell membranes sometimes than switching to plasma membrane, what is that about?
    don't use cell membrane, use cell surface membrane or plasma membrane - they are the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tewas)
    don't use cell membrane, use cell surface membrane or plasma membrane - they are the same
    Just a had tragic realisation, i think i've been using plasma membrane all this time when talking about respiration and photosynthesis tho :L. Even though they both happen in organelles.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering if someone can clarify this question about neurones to me. http://biogishumerus.com/2013/04/25/...s-past-papers/ Just click the link and click on nerves and hormones, scroll down and it's the pacinian corpuscle question from 2008.

I don't really understand how a change in p.d is caused in the sensory neurone at light and medium pressures? surely the voltage gated sodium ion channels in the sensory neurone membrane don't open until the threshold value is reached? So are there other sodium ion channels that open in response to the generator potentials in the sensory receptor cell membrane? Just one final thing, do receptor cells contain voltage gated sodium ion channels, or do they only contain sodium ion channels that respond to changes in energy level i.e. pressure? The action potential doesn't occur in the receptor cell, right?

The book isn't really that clear on it, neither is the mark scheme :| and I just can't seem to make sense of it.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flygerianmc)
    Just a had tragic realisation, i think i've been using plasma membrane all this time when talking about respiration and photosynthesis tho :L. Even though they both happen in organelles.
    oh yes that is true, so when talking about mitochondria/chloroplasts, use outer membrane and inner membrane not plasma membrane or cell surface membrane

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.