Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocface)
    Absolutely equal in terms of quality, reputation and job prospects. I would say it's down to where you want to end up afterwards. Highly likely you will be looking at London magic circle companies afterwards, if that's the case I would take the one-off Durham collegiate experience as you will anyway do the London life later. Also the Durham new law building has an amazing feel to it, if you haven't pyhsically been there the open day will swing it.
    Thank you so much for the answer where did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobkata)
    Which one is better for law - Durham or UCL? What do you think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What grades do you have? Well done on getting in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobkata)
    Thank you so much for the answer where did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oxford and Kings - rejected
    QMUL and Exeter - offers
    Bristol - waiting

I will firm Bristol if I get an offer with QMUL as insurance.

I had a bit of a dispute with kings about predicted IB grades, they basically wasted one of my choices which would otherwise have been Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solrac777)
    What grades do you have? Well done on getting in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am a European candidate and my grades are quite different

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    does anyone who sat the LNAT know their result yet? and if so, how did u get access?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitchriding)
    does anyone who sat the LNAT know their result yet? and if so, how did u get access?

thanks
    From reading other posts on here, all of the LNAT results are sent out within the first week of February ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocface)
    Oxford and Kings - rejected
    QMUL and Exeter - offers
    Bristol - waiting

I will firm Bristol if I get an offer with QMUL as insurance.

I had a bit of a dispute with kings about predicted IB grades, they basically wasted one of my choices which would otherwise have been Durham.
    When did you apply and with what GCSEs / A2. Also what was the dispute with KCL? Have offers from QMUL/ Bristol/ Warwick - now waiting for the dream ones: LSE and KCL.

Predicted 38 (HL766) with a decent PS (hopefully) and a decent LNAT (since Bristol gave me an offer)

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for Law with LSE and I got 6A*s 4As and a B (and one of the A*s was taken early!)...so don't be put off by people with straight A*s

(Original post by oli19919)
    For those who have been offered places for law at Oxford-> what were your gcses (and a massive congrats!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cf99)
    Got an offer for Law with LSE and I got 6A*s 4As and a B (and one of the A*s was taken early!)...so don't be put off by people with straight A*s
    Congrats! My GCSEs are like 8A*s and 2As but my predicted is 38 IB points (equivalent of A*AA i think) so I don't really have a really good chance but still really hopeful Maybe the PS will drag me through? They haven't rejected me yet - applied 5th Nov so getting nervous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhishek Dhawan)
    When did you apply and with what GCSEs / A2. Also what was the dispute with KCL? Have offers from QMUL/ Bristol/ Warwick - now waiting for the dream ones: LSE and KCL.

Predicted 38 (HL766) with a decent PS (hopefully) and a decent LNAT (since Bristol gave me an offer)
    I applied mid October. I dont have GCSEs / A2. as I´m following US high school system.

The argument with Kings was that they want predicted IB HL 7,6,6 my arguement was that it is not fair as it depends on which HL subjects. The reality is that only top 2-3% of IB students actually acheive a 7 for my 3 subjects therefore no honest school could realisticly predict one. My prediction was IB 39, HL6,6,6 plus an extra 6 points in another IB subject im doing in parallel. In order to not waste one of my choices I prechecked with them my reasoning and whether I should still apply. They said they would look favourably on my application and be flexible in the application of the HL7,6,6. Result: 2 weeks later rejected on administrative grounds for not meeting the criteria stated in the standard offer. Thank you very much for completely wasting my time and oppotunity somewhere else - not a serious university!.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! My GCSEs are like 8A*s and 2As but my predicted is 38 IB points (equivalent of A*AA i think) so I don't really have a really good chance but still really hopeful Maybe the PS will drag me through? They haven't rejected me yet - applied 5th Nov so getting nervous.
    Where are you waiting to hear from? Yeah i'm sure you'll be fine wherever - i mean I got an offer from Oxford for such a competitive course and without straight a*s so it can be done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cf99)
    Where are you waiting to hear from? Yeah i'm sure you'll be fine wherever - i mean I got an offer from Oxford for such a competitive course and without straight a*s so it can be done
    What were your predicted grades? Waiting on LSE and KCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cf99)
    Well done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    Thank you, I'm not sure if anyone has already responded but: 9A*s, 1A :-)
    Ok thanks a lot, would you say 7-8A*s is good for oxford? Any tips on applying (in year 11 so have long time but still)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What were your predicted grades? Waiting on LSE and KCL
    hi. I heard University of Mumbai in India is good. So why do you eagerly want to go to LSE or KCL? Do you plan to apply for UK citizenship after you graduate and work for a few years in UK? tell me. i'm curious to know.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys i am in year 12 atm and considering law

What makes a strong applicant?? I got an A*,4As and 6Bs at gcse

Doing biology chemistry history and maths at AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)

Im really sorry to say this but I think you should only do law if you realllllly want to because it's as hard as ever to become a lawyer and most of those who are getting jobs go to a very good RG uni like Bristol/warwick or LSE of Oxbridge and to go to one of them you more than likely need better GCSEs (6A*s+) unless you go to an underperforming school. Only do law if you really want to do it as the competition is fierce and without going to a top uni the odds are very much against you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im really sorry to say this but I think you should only do law if you realllllly want to because it's as hard as ever to become a lawyer and most of those who are getting jobs go to a very good RG uni like Bristol/warwick or LSE of Oxbridge and to go to one of them you more than likely need better GCSEs (6A*s+) unless you go to an underperforming school. Only do law if you really want to do it as the competition is fierce and without going to a top uni the odds are very much against you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Competition is fierce in many degrees ,and many unis visited my college I asked them about GCSEs mine are fine :/

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is wrong, I have an offer from UCL for law with 2 A*s at GCSE! Just make sure your ASs and PS are v.good, and perform in your LNAT and you should be good to go with UCL and tbe likes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)

Some unis do look at GCSEs as part of their application but although I can't confirm this I doubt it will matter as much as the rest of your application!! I would suggest aiming to get AAAA or AAAB for as level and keep doing history. Although no law school specifically asks for any subject I do think it would help if you are doing an essay subject for A2, one because some analysis skills of history also apply to law and also because you will be writing a lot of essays at uni so it may be a good idea to practise this through A2 and pick up good techniques, after that just really prove how interested you are in your personal statement. don't just state you did work experience say what you learnt from the experience and how it's made you more interested in studying law, it's also good if you can talk about current issues as it shows you have done some reading into the subject as well
    Good luck I'm sure no matter what you choose to do you will end up doing well and happy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.