Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosslegg)
    I don't know what all the fuss is about, there were some challenging applications but nothing we don't already know. Hoping for at least 90ish
    I agree, it wasn't impossibly difficult, but was nasty in places and I was strapped for time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    I think 112 and 114 will be allowed, as the probability of 35 : 35 is equal to that of 35 : 37.
    Do you remember what the formula was??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyoung)
    Do you remember what the formula was??
    ClCH2COCl I think?

ReputationRep:
    how many marks would that test for acycl chloride be worth...i didnt see the cl so did tollens reagent instead, stupidly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosslegg)
    I don't know what all the fuss is about, there were some challenging applications but nothing we don't already know. Hoping for at least 90ish
    yeah alright mate, how do you think that is going to help anyone who isn't feeling too confident.

ReputationRep:
    Guys even if you feel the paper was fine, even if you feel like you don't care or even if you feel this might not actually do anything, its still worth a try.....

give this and look and signnnnnnn it!!!!!!!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/l...ry-unit-4-2016

and share it with everyone, the more awareness the better!!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with some CHEM5 stuff? I'm having trouble rearranging the equation for ∆G = ∆H - T∆S... I was doing a question where it asks for ∆S and the ∆G, ∆H and temperature given so I'm just wondering how you change the equation and what would it be if it asked for value of ∆H?

ReputationRep:
    That paper was literally ridiculous. The style of it seemed so different to the previous years, that, and the fact that the wording of the questions were so awkward, I had to read the stem of the questions (especially all those one and two markers) so many times before I could actually figure out what they were saying!

And the worst thing was, I was feeling so ready for this exam which is actually so very rare. I had gone through every single thing in the book and looked at so many past papers, I went in thinking that there was only so much that they could do to make CHEM4 harder. *Snorts* Yeah right.

I knew all my mechanisms inside out, I spent so long memorising them and drawing them all out, figuring out which mechanism corresponds with which compounds. I knew my equilibria - one of the few topics that I was actually quite confident on. I had finally figured out how to find the rate determining step. After months of practice, I could work out the PH of buffer without a problem. I knew my nitration equations, I knew my Friedel-Crafts and my acylation reactions. And did any of that come up?

uh.......no.

Waste of a year. Thanks AQA, I appreciate that.

And here I thought that the exam was actually going to be alright.

(I swear to god, Biology on thursday better not be this bad)

ReputationRep:
    For the P and Q question I put ammonia instead of water then put misty fumes of HCl. Is ammonia also right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 26december)
    Can anyone help me with some CHEM5 stuff? I'm having trouble rearranging the equation for ∆G = ∆H - T∆S... I was doing a question where it asks for ∆S and the ∆G, ∆H and temperature given so I'm just wondering how you change the equation and what would it be if it asked for value of ∆H?
    I know what you mean but could you give an example question so it would be easier to explain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owensmith16)
    how many marks would that test for acycl chloride be worth...i didnt see the cl so did tollens reagent instead, stupidly
    It was three marks: One for the reagent, one for observations with each

ReputationRep:
    ∆G+T∆S=∆H
    T∆S= ∆H-∆G
    Then divide ∆H-∆G by T to give you ∆S

ReputationRep:
    What was the C peak number? I put 8 but apparently its wromg

ReputationRep:
    Also for the 3 marker on the percentages, did you have to divide each number by the mr (I think 118) and then multiply by 100 then all the percentage answers added up to 100?

ReputationRep:
    Unofficial MS anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammypancake)
    What was the C peak number? I put 8 but apparently its wromg
    We're pretty certain it's 9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahC-H)
    It was three marks: One for the reagent, one for observations with each
    **** ffs such a daft mistake like

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of sending AQA this, but with examples and that:

This exam was disproportionately difficult. Not because of the application questions or even question 9, which were difficult, but because of the horrible questions worth few marks that took too long, leading to the last half being rushed and allowing NO opportunity to check through, which you (AQA) yourselves advise us to do, then don't allow us to. I noticed immediately it was strange, as the timing recommended was 80 minutes for section A and 25 minutes for section B, which differs from past papers, and was unrealistic. Truly ridiculous AQA - your choice of questioning will have devastating consequences on the futures of many young people, and definitely did not reward hard work or revision, or even merit knowledge of the A level Chemistry specification. The ONLY way to rectify this situation is to lower the grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    That paper was literally ridiculous. The style of it seemed so different to the previous years, that, and the fact that the wording of the questions were so awkward, I had to read the stem of the questions (especially all those one and two markers) so many times before I could actually figure out what they were saying!

And the worst thing was, I was feeling so ready for this exam which is actually so very rare. I had gone through every single thing in the book and looked at so many past papers, I went in thinking that there was only so much that they could do to make CHEM4 harder. *Snorts* Yeah right.

I knew all my mechanisms inside out, I spent so long memorising them and drawing them all out, figuring out which mechanism corresponds with which compounds. I knew my equilibria - one of the few topics that I was actually quite confident on. I had finally figured out how to find the rate determining step. After months of practice, I could work out the PH of buffer without a problem. I knew my nitration equations, I knew my Friedel-Crafts and my acylation reactions. And did any of that come up?

uh.......no.

Waste of a year. Thanks AQA, I appreciate that.

And here I thought that the exam was actually going to be alright.

(I swear to god, Biology on thursday better not be this bad)
    I feel exactly the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyoung)
    ∆G+T∆S=∆H
    T∆S= ∆H-∆G
    Then divide ∆H-∆G by T to give you ∆S

Thanks What if they asked for ∆H though would that be (∆S - ∆G) / T?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.