Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Announcements Posted on
Calling all anime fans! Don't miss the midnight Secret Santa deadline! 04-12-2016
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: What Pokemon Go team did you choose?
    Team Valor (Red)
    33.10%
    Team Mystic (Blue)
    46.67%
    Team Instinct (Yellow)
    20.24%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Caught my first Wartortle today. XD
    Has a crappy CP of only 222 and an IV level of something I can't be bothered to calculate given my team leader's statement about it. Although, has a good move set including ice beam. =D
    Keep seeing it on my nearby list but this is the first time I've seen it and have Radar Go on my phone. XD

Don't know why but Squirtles and I assume Wartortles like to stay down a certain road or behind my local pub. =l
    Haha nice. Tbh there are a few pokemon which are better water types than Blastoise so high CP/IV probably isn't a huge deal?

I may have gotten impatient and now have 9 eggs all being incubated..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Haha nice. Tbh there are a few pokemon which are better water types than Blastoise so high CP/IV probably isn't a huge deal?

I may have gotten impatient and now have 9 eggs all being incubated..
    Who says there's better water pokemon than blastoise, they're only better in stats, my 200 lb turtle with cannons on its back is easily the coolest water pokemon going

ReputationRep:
    I've been fine with 1GB of data!

Having thought about it.. the team of Pokemon I'd like with high CP/good IVs would be:

Dragonite - ideally with dragon breath and dragon claw for the STAB but considering not many super effective any moves would be fine (as 125 candies to evolve and more to power isn't cheap!
    Snorlax - ideally with lick and hyper beam but considering not many super effective any moves would be fine
    Vaporean with water gun and hydropump - Gyarados might be ranked higher but the stats aren't that dissimilar and Vaporeon has a higher CP ceiling. Gyarados doesn't have a base water attack (bite is dark attack)
    Arcanine with fire fang and fire blast but I'd probably settle for a Flareon with fire blast
    Electabuzz or Jolteon with thundershock and thunder - replace with Gyarados with Bite/Hydro Pump
    Macamp with karate chop and cross chop
    Exeggutor with zen headbutt and solarbeam

Lapras - I have with ice moves so I'm happy
    Not a bad team, but I've made a few changes that I think would benefit the team .
    Snorlax - Lick and Hyper Beam are the highest DPS moves available, so I would go with those.
    Gyarados - A very highly ranked Pokemon and having Bite as it's primary move means that it's very efficient at removing Psychic Pokemon, while still being used as a water type. Get rid of Electabuzz/Jolteon due to their poor stature in Pokemon Go.
    Exeggutor - Solarbeam is higher DPS than Psychic and it gives it an effectiveness as a grass type Pokemon, meaning the electric Pokemon aren't needed.

I really hope they bring out TMs or some similar format soon enough. I'm sick of spending 125 candies on Pokemon (or 400 in the case of my 2 Gyaradoses) and them having a terrible moveset at the end. Especially in cases of Dragonite and Venusaur -_-.

ReputationRep:
    Officially quit playing Pokemon GO for a while. Kinda lost my interest now. You could say it's in good timing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
    Officially quit playing Pokemon GO for a while. Kinda lost my interest now. You could say it's in good timing
    I stopped playing it for a couple of weeks around 2 weeks ago, just starting playing again yesterday and I'm enjoying it still .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    Not a bad team, but I've made a few changes that I think would benefit the team .
    Snorlax - Lick and Hyper Beam are the highest DPS moves available, so I would go with those.
    Gyarados - A very highly ranked Pokemon and having Bite as it's primary move means that it's very efficient at removing Psychic Pokemon, while still being used as a water type. Get rid of Electabuzz/Jolteon due to their poor stature in Pokemon Go.
    Exeggutor - Solarbeam is higher DPS than Psychic and it gives it an effectiveness as a grass type Pokemon, meaning the electric Pokemon aren't needed.

I really hope they bring out TMs or some similar format soon enough. I'm sick of spending 125 candies on Pokemon (or 400 in the case of my 2 Gyaradoses) and them having a terrible moveset at the end. Especially in cases of Dragonite and Venusaur -_-.
    On Snorlax - http://www.pokemongodb.net/2016/05/snorlax.html
    This has Body Slam as having a higher DPS? I do think Snorlax with any combination of moves is strong enough really.

I think the fact that pokemon only have one fast move and one charge move really hurts duel-type pokemon. In the normal games, the 4 moves gave you enough scope to take advantage of duel types but with Pokemon Go, I feel like if you are picking a pokemon based on type then you just need to take the full benefit by focusing on one type to give you STAB and type advantage. So if I'm using Gyarados to take out a fire type, what use is bite to me? Especially considering how many speed moves you'd click during a battle.

I think you are better to use Exeggutor as an out and out pyschic type? Although not many fighting or poison types around so perhaps don't need to? Maybe Venusaur is a better option where you can have two grass attacks with vine whip/solar beam to tackle water types? I guess the only reason I was learning more towards the electric types is since they don't have the weakness to ice attacks and a lot of water types do often have ice attacks.

I guess if legendary pokemon are released then Zapdos is the one you really want where thunder shock/thunder will be a brutal combination along with Zapdos' attack stats.

Anyway it's all a bit fanciful since I'll probably never get around to assembling this team

ReputationRep:
    I stopped playing it for a couple of weeks around 2 weeks ago, just starting playing again yesterday and I'm enjoying it still .
    Yeah I might get one of those, you never know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _missjade)
    Anyone else Team Instinct
    Team Instinct For Lyfe!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep I'm Team Instinct too. Been quite good recently as a lot of gyms near me have been taken over by Team Instinct.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, am I the only one who chose Instinct because one of the two following reasons:

1. Was the least popular team and so wanted a challenge.
    2. The copious amounts of water pokemon in gyms will be easy to beat?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, am I the only one who chose Instinct because one of the two following reasons:

1. Was the least popular team and so wanted a challenge.
    2. The copious amounts of water pokemon in gyms will be easy to beat?
    1. Probably just you
    2. Not sure how relevant?

I picked Instinct just because I wanted a Zapdos (in case team was in any way linked to legendary birds).

ReputationRep:
    On Snorlax - http://www.pokemongodb.net/2016/05/snorlax.html
    This has Body Slam as having a higher DPS? I do think Snorlax with any combination of moves is strong enough really.

I think the fact that pokemon only have one fast move and one charge move really hurts duel-type pokemon. In the normal games, the 4 moves gave you enough scope to take advantage of duel types but with Pokemon Go, I feel like if you are picking a pokemon based on type then you just need to take the full benefit by focusing on one type to give you STAB and type advantage. So if I'm using Gyarados to take out a fire type, what use is bite to me? Especially considering how many speed moves you'd click during a battle.

I think you are better to use Exeggutor as an out and out pyschic type? Although not many fighting or poison types around so perhaps don't need to? Maybe Venusaur is a better option where you can have two grass attacks with vine whip/solar beam to tackle water types? I guess the only reason I was learning more towards the electric types is since they don't have the weakness to ice attacks and a lot of water types do often have ice attacks.

I guess if legendary pokemon are released then Zapdos is the one you really want where thunder shock/thunder will be a brutal combination along with Zapdos' attack stats.

Anyway it's all a bit fanciful since I'll probably never get around to assembling this team
    After a bit of research, I've found a few sources all saying different things with regards to DPS. Could be HB/BS/Cross Chop at the top, but other lists I've seen have Blizzard/Solarbeam at the top. Eh, **** knows, I guess.

The issue with electric types is that they suck though. Exeggutor is one of the strongest Pokemon in the game (top 5/10) and it's the only grass Pokemon there, whereas there isn't an electric Pokemon in the top 20 really. This is because most electric Pokemon rely on their speed stat in the main games, and this is essentially redundant in POGO (hence Jolteon's uselessness - it has one of the highest speed stats in the games, making it very useful but here it has nearly no effect).

There's no reason why you won't make this team, I've got all of the Pokemon mentioned in your first post. It just takes a damn long time!

Also caught a 2150CP Exeggutor earlier today and it had Solarbeam as its 2nd move and had 71% IVs, was pretty damn happy .

ReputationRep:
    Same here but I wouldn't mind an aerodactyl too...
    Right now have a load of 2k eggs to hatch and I am planning on walking the long walk tomorrow in Windsor... Hopefully no rain...

So, hoping for a few starters (specifically squirtle and Charmander because I haven't seen a Charmander and all the squirtles I have have really crap IVs...)

Am going back to Bristol on Monday and would like to see what's there. =)
    Want some Gastlies really badly... They seem to run away from me all the time. Hell, I have a better chance of catching an Abra than a Gastly...

Did manage to catch a 605CP Machop yesterday. Has good IVs but not sure if I should evolve it or wait?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Name:  Screenshot_2016-09-06-23-01-18.png
Views: 54
Size:  219.3 KB
    You should visit London some time =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _missjade)
    Anyone else Team Instinct
    Team instinct!!!!!!

Only level 18, rocking a Dragonite though.

ReputationRep:
    After a bit of research, I've found a few sources all saying different things with regards to DPS. Could be HB/BS/Cross Chop at the top, but other lists I've seen have Blizzard/Solarbeam at the top. Eh, **** knows, I guess.

The issue with electric types is that they suck though. Exeggutor is one of the strongest Pokemon in the game (top 5/10) and it's the only grass Pokemon there, whereas there isn't an electric Pokemon in the top 20 really. This is because most electric Pokemon rely on their speed stat in the main games, and this is essentially redundant in POGO (hence Jolteon's uselessness - it has one of the highest speed stats in the games, making it very useful but here it has nearly no effect).

There's no reason why you won't make this team, I've got all of the Pokemon mentioned in your first post. It just takes a damn long time!

Also caught a 2150CP Exeggutor earlier today and it had Solarbeam as its 2nd move and had 71% IVs, was pretty damn happy .
    Yea I guess no one has fully worked out what is the best. I guess you have to factor in the damage it does, the time it takes to do that damage, the charge time etc?

I guess from my view point, I want half of those: Dragonite/Snorlax/Arcanine/Exeggutor as strong pokemon which you put into gyms
    And the others: Electric or grass?/Vaporeon/Lapras/Machamp as those you use in gym battles for type advantage and STAB to take down those which are typically put into gyms.

Maybe I'll go for a Venusaur which is pretty strong and can have both grass attacks.. although you go back to having weakness to certain water types which have ice or psychic moves.. I'll have a think about it

Haha time to wander is the one thing I don't have!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hōseki)
    Name:  Screenshot_2016-09-06-23-01-18.png
Views: 54
Size:  219.3 KB
    You should visit London some time =P
    390 charmander candy and a Charizard! :eek:

I've still yet to see or hatch a single charmander..

ReputationRep:
    390 charmander candy and a Charizard! :eek:

I've still yet to see or hatch a single charmander..
    Same boat, one bulbasaur, no charmanders, and loads of squirtles. Just can't seem to find starter nests. Nearly level 28 :/

It's also really annoying that the starter you pick comes with awful IVs as well.

ReputationRep:
    How many pokemon do people have in their Pokedex now?
    So far, registered 88 and seen 91. =l

Missed a Seaking, Scyther and a Slowbro. =(

ReputationRep:

Caught 103, seen 106 (ekans, porygon, dragonite)

ReputationRep:

Seen 135, caught 135

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.