Civil Service Fast Stream 2009! Watch

ym17
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I got a message about a position at UK borders Agency! It would be an interesting department for me, and I've said I would provisionally be interested, but does that mean that they won't try and allocate me to any other departments in the meanwhile? I did email and ask Tracey Blower but she seemed to imply that I would have to see if anything happens with UKBA first before I am considered for any oterh departments. Is it worth just saying no thanks then in teh hope of anything better turning up?! I know that's a tad ungrateful but...:confused:
ladyokness
Report 9 years ago
How hard did you find it..Id like to apply next year- any tips??
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ladyokness)
How hard did you find it..Id like to apply next year- any tips??
Hard enough so that for the 2008 competition 96.5% of people didn't get in.

Do some verbal/numerical tests then roll with it.
ladyokness
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Hard enough so that for the 2008 competition 96.5% of people didn't get in.

Do some verbal/numerical tests then roll with it.
hmm will do- any ideas where to look for these tests- like verbal and non-verbal reasoning? The 96.5 pecent is pretty high!!
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hmm will do- any ideas where to look for these tests- like verbal and non-verbal reasoning? The 96.5 pecent is pretty high!!
http://www.shldirect.com/index.html

Oh and this is out:

http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/Asset..._tcm6-7576.pdf

So GFS for the '09 competition 20,084 people applied and 403 people got in, so thats fractions above a 2% success rate.

Strange the top line '09 numbers are out but not the '08 ones...
Aylia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I found this book very handy in helping to get through the initial stages. And then do any online tests you can find - practice really does help.

I also went through the practice e-tray on the civil service site 3/4 times.
Daff0dil
Report 9 years ago
Beware googling for numerical reasoning tests. I found a lot online, which asked questions on tricky maths topics that weren't covered by the FS tests, and they scared me to death! There are a lot of practise tests out there designed for people applying to accountancy firm graduate schemes, which are more difficult than you need. Unless you enjoy a good maths challenge, you might find it best to check any test you find online against the example tests on the FS website to make sure you're not wasting your time practising against the wrong sort of test.
macadamia
Report 9 years ago
Originally Posted by ladyokness

I'd highly recommend getting a GCSE maths revision guide (well, that's what got me through!), and concentrate on the percentages and ratios stuff - i.e. make sure you're really up-to-speed with all the formulas. The actual maths for the FS tests isn't especially hard, as they're looking primarily at your analytical and interpretive skills; your abiltiy to use data quickly and effectively.
KEBE
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Learn how to do cumulative percentages (e.g. 5% interest on £389 over 8 years), they came up a lot on the etray.
ladyokness
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by macadamia)
I'd highly recommend getting a GCSE maths revision guide (well, that's what got me through!), and concentrate on the percentages and ratios stuff - i.e. make sure you're really up-to-speed with all the formulas. The actual maths for the FS tests isn't especially hard, as they're looking primarily at your analytical and interpretive skills; your abiltiy to use data quickly and effectively.
Aha i see, thanks for that

(Original post by KEBE)
cumulative percentages (e.g. 5% interest on £389 over 8 years)
These ones I wasnt too keen on- and when they talked about differnt types of accounts

Thanks to all the comments above- all been incredibly useful and have taken note of all! Thanks
alhambra
Report 9 years ago
I called the Cabinet Office again today, and apparently they have sent my papers to the department today (very convenient, of course). They said any time from a few days to two weeks for the departmental response, depending on how swift they are. My FASC score was 18.6, and they said they'd assigned everyone with that score band at the time of my call (which implies the people with higher scores have also been assigned by now).

Anyone else had any news about assignment?
munchbunch313
Report 9 years ago
Well, it doesn't seem very likely that DIUS will be my assignment as BBC are saying it won't exist anymore!
squeezeevans
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I was wondering what would happen if this was true:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/scien...d-of-dius.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/robert_...ent_in_history

Maybe you will come join me in DCSF or be reallocated to BERR? No idea how it would work really - bizarre situation
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by squeezeevans)
Yeah I was wondering what would happen if this was true:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/scien...d-of-dius.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/robert_...ent_in_history

Maybe you will come join me in DCSF or be reallocated to BERR? No idea how it would work really - bizarre situation
Not that bizarre, it happens a lot. You'd probs get reassigned to DCSF/BERR or just somewhere else entirely. I'm surprised it only cost 7 million to previously rebrand it.
alex_w
Report 9 years ago
I imagine this might cause a slight delay in the allocations process?! I'm still waiting to be allocated under the science & engineering (other) option, and had been told 80% of the positions will be in DIUS. I guess most will now go to DBIS, but I guess it'll take them a while to figure it all out...

A bit frustrating, if so.
Coolsharp
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Anyone else find ing the civil service is losing a bit of its appeal what with cabinet ministers falling left, right and centre. I know that 'Yes, Minister' has clearly shown they're not that essential to the process but still...it can't help a dept. when your minister just quits..can it?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alex_w)
if
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8086233.stm

Its just been merged so just means people going into BERR or DIUS go into BIS.
Prince Rhyus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Coolsharp)
Anyone else find ing the civil service is losing a bit of its appeal what with cabinet ministers falling left, right and centre. I know that 'Yes, Minister' has clearly shown they're not that essential to the process but still...it can't help a dept. when your minister just quits..can it?
But that's what makes it all fun and incredibly exciting

Seriously though, it doesn't help any department when a secretary of state or minister quits unexpectedly. When lots of them do, it's like " :eek3: "

I've been on leave and training this week and the last, and what I am about to come back to on Monday will be significantly different to what I left behind - not least because my own Secretary of State has changed, but those of all bar one of the departments I work with have also changed. Then there is the impact of the local elections.

Interesting and unprecedented times.

Still, it is at times like this when you are glad the country has a functioning civil service. Chamberlain in 1940, Eden in 1956/7, Thatcher in 1990 and Major in 1995 all faced similar crises (and three of the four eventually went) regarding party support. We'll keep things ticking over while Parliament and the Government sorts itself out. The unemployed will still get their benefits, the ill will still have access to hospitals and doctors surgeries and the emergency services will still keep going. After all, during long election campaigns, Parliament doesn't sit - for sometimes weeks at a time, and there are no ministers as such, but the country still keeps running.

And if the worst comes to the worst, there's always Her Majesty and the Privy Council to sort things out.
Prince Rhyus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by munchbunch313)
Well, it doesn't seem very likely that DIUS will be my assignment as BBC are saying it won't exist anymore!
Departments get rebranded all the times and ministers get reshuffled every so often. It all costs time and money to get things up to speed. It was the same under previous administrations. Think of the various guises of health/social security and education/employment as well as environment/housing/local government.

As the business of government has got more complex in recent years as a result of, amongst other things the communications revolution, rebranding will have become more expensive. (20 years ago, departments didn't have widely used publicly available websites.)
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Coolsharp)
As PR says its pretty interesting, as bizarrely quick as had been lead to believe and its odd quite how quickly you adjust. It means I've got some light work to do this weekend though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.81%
Pro-humanity (168)
54.19%

Watched Threads