Maths Uni Chat Watch

SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by v-zero)
We cover all of Analysis, Linear Algebra and Group Theory in first year, as well as Number Theory.
I doubt you can consider this a "misread", more a direct quote.
v-zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SimonM)
I doubt you can consider this a "misread", more a direct quote.
No, it is patently obvious, especially from your use of emboldening, that the intention of the sentence was as a list of fields studied. That you misread it, and are now in denial, is not my fault.
harr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by My Alt)
I do not see why almost all pure mathematicians find group theory boring - It's not a bad subject, but it's certainly the least inspiring of the courses I did in the first term (and I'm talking content only)
Do we?
I meant, and I believe to most it would read as such, that we study each of those subjects. I am not so ignorant as to think it possible to ever study any subject in its entirety, I would have hoped you would realise that, unless you are of a differing opinion.
While it's clear that you don't literally mean "all of", it read at first as if you were saying that you study the subject in its entirety. (Though I'm inclined to the view that Simon can't read since he solved my disjoint balls problem.)
Dadeyemi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Then the problem is that you can't read misread what I wrote.
Oh Snap!
around
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Completely apropos of nothing the chick who does those brown sharpie comics is fit: http://vimeo.com/6808573
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by harr)
Do we?
As a matter of fact I wrote all and then changed it to nearly all after thinking about it, so that no-one could have valid grounds for complaint!

(Original post by around)
Completely apropos of nothing the chick who does those brown sharpie comics is fit: http://vimeo.com/6808573
Hmm, perhaps only a mathmo...

EDIT: No actually I agree with you.
harr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by My Alt)
As a matter of fact I wrote all and then changed it to nearly all after thinking about it, so that no-one could have valid grounds for complaint!
I'm still allowed to complain if I poll the other mathmos I know. :p: Compromise on "all but finitely many"?
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by harr)
I'm still allowed to complain if I poll the other mathmos I know. :p: Compromise on "all but finitely many"?
Most certainly, sir.
around
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by harr)
Do we?While it's clear that you don't literally mean "all of", it read at first as if you were saying that you study the subject in its entirety. (Though I'm inclined to the view that Simon can't read since he solved my disjoint balls problem.)
:teehee:
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by harr)
(Though I'm inclined to the view that Simon can't read since he solved my disjoint balls problem.)
Meh, reading always was overrated. There's a reason I'm doing maths (aside from the women?)
elsa_89
Badges: 1
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by around)
:teehee:
OMG I WAS ABOUT TO DO THAT BUT THOUGHT THIS THREAD WAS TOO MATURE FOR IT. GUESS I WAS WRONG.

Definitely getting rep for that. :teehee:
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Warwick's course covers some group theory in a short untested section of a first year, first term course. Aside from that, you don't get any more in the first year.

The number of arguments our first year algebra system has caused : people only really start to learn group theory in the second year and then they find it quite hard. I'm with Simon: I'd much prefer it if we were taught more group theory in the first year and less linear algebra, which is a very dry subject IMO.
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by IrrationalNumber)
Warwick's course covers some group theory in a short untested section of a first year, first term course. Aside from that, you don't get any more in the first year.

The number of arguments our first year algebra system has caused : people only really start to learn group theory in the second year and then they find it quite hard. I'm with Simon: I'd much prefer it if we were taught more group theory in the first year and less linear algebra, which is a very dry subject IMO.
I get to do some group theory, but its like one question and is probably going to be on permutation of groups.

Whats the point, might aswell get Linear algebra out of the way in the first year. You can't run before you can walk.
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just out of curiosity, has anyone got to the stage where they've sort-of forgotten how to do things, but can still do them? For instance, integrating and differentiating? And will the auto-integrator in my head soon replace a normal bodily function, like breathing? Or possibly social interactive functions? Eugh. I'm doomed.
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by henryt)
Just out of curiosity, has anyone got to the stage where they've sort-of forgotten how to do things, but can still do them? For instance, integrating and differentiating? And will the auto-integrator in my head soon replace a normal bodily function, like breathing? Or possibly social interactive functions? Eugh. I'm doomed.
Haha I'm with you on this, took me 15mins the other day to intagrate 1/1+5y. I just couldn't function properly xD Shall have to learn my c3 again it seems before the exams in jan
Hathlan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Warwick's course covers some group theory in a short untested section of a first year, first term course.
Damn, is it not examinable? Bummer.
Hathlan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SimonM)
Meh, reading always was overrated. There's a reason I'm doing maths (aside from the women?)

p.s. lololol at vzero.
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hathlan)
Damn, is it not examinable? Bummer.
Looking at the past papers it is clear that my memory is faulty. It is examinable.
Hathlan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Looking at the past papers it is clear that my memory is faulty. It is examinable.
I thought so but I didn't want to challenge your towering intellect.
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You never cease to amuse.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise