Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Maths Tutor)
You are forgetting that Scotland is ALREADY a member of the EU, although at the moment as part of the UK.

All the laws and treaties for membership are already in place. It's all about the finances now post 2008. All about the finances.

But of course as an independent nation of 5 million, it can't have the same membership rules as the UK with 60 million.

These matters will be discussed and agreed between 19th September 2014 and the actual date of independence, perhaps the date of the next UK election. What's happening on the 18th? You're a bit sure of yourself.

There are many experts who agree with the SNP position. Their names have been given by the First Minister at First Minister's questions on many occassions but the No campaign is quick to put scorn on anyone who goes against their scaremongering. Actually, the SNP's experts on this aren't as expert as they should be. They've given opinions

The EU was eager to get countries like Bulgaria and Romania to become members. Do you seriously believe that they would want to throw out Scotland and make it to re-apply and wait? Who would gain from that?

That was Pre 2008 that those countries were let in. Take a look around at what's going on around Europe at the moment. I bet if they had their time again the EU wouldn't have let many of the current EU members in. I''m not saying we won't get in, I'm just worried about what we'll end up giving up to speed the process up. I'm also what say we'll have in Europe. 5 Million out of 500 Million is quite a small number. And we do have a very big say in what goes on in Europe now.

Are we lowering the age of drinking to 16?
Maths Tutor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Anyway, I knwo Maths Tutor will say I'm Scaremongering. But I'm genereally happy with what we've got at the moment........ok things are crappy at the moment, but they're crappy everywhere so I'm not being hard done by.
Did you not claim that you had aspirations for Scotland?

That doesn't seem much like aspirations to me.

My aspiration is for a fairer and more equitable Scotland, with governments in tune with the aspirations and views of the people of Scotland, instead of rule from Westminster governments completely out of tune with the views of the people of Scotland.

(Don't give me any nonsense about Prime Ministers and Chancellors who were Scots - I am not discussing the ethnicity of those who rule from Westminster.)
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I stopped listening to FMQ after he said he'd got legal advice from the EU.

Incidentally, you've forgotten about the LibDems in Government.

Anyway, I'll let you into a secret. I wasn't a huge fan of it before. It's not very interesting.
Well it wouldn't be for you, would it?

Because week after week, the First Minister exposes the hypocrisy and lies of the leaders of the Scottish branches of the Tories, Labour and Lib-Dems.

Johann Lamont can't even express HER opinion unless and until she has been told by her Westminster bosses what IT is!
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did you not claim that you had aspirations for Scotland?

That doesn't seem much like aspirations to me.

My aspiration is for a fairer and more equitable Scotland, with governments in tune with the aspirations and views of the people of Scotland, instead of rule from Westminster governments completely out of tune with the views of the people of Scotland.

(Don't give me any nonsense about Prime Ministers and Chancellors who were Scots - I am not discussing the ethnicity of those who rule from Westminster.)
Such a dewy eyed outlook on life

University Tuition Fees

It's generally acknowledged that Middle class people tend to go off to University whilst working class people tend to go off to college. (Personally I really think we've lost our way with trying to get everybody to University as I don't think we'd be anywhere near the mess we're in had we had a strong vibrant manufacturing base.Fergus, although being able to afford it get free University education, whilst Mac is now struggling foolow the SNPs recent cuts to college education resulting in Mac finding it difficult to learn the skills that will allow him to succeed.

Conclusion. Mac's taxes are being used to better support Fergus.

Free Prescriptions.Down South.Free prescriptions are available for:-

• are 60 or over
  • are under 16
  • are 16-18 and in full-time education
  • are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx)
  • have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)
  • have a continuing physical disability that prevents you from going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx
  • hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability
  • are an NHS inpatient

You are also entitled to free prescriptions if you or your partner (including civil partners) are named on, or are entitled to, an NHS tax credit exemption certificate or a valid HC2 certificate (full help with health costs), or you receive either:

• Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • Universal Credit

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...tioncosts.aspx

So basically, most people who need free prescriptions get free prescriptions.

Now Fergus, although more than capable of paying for a prescription as he doesn't fit into any of the above categories, gets a free prescription to deal with that rather irratating rash he picked up from a less than safe encounter in a nightclub one night.

Council Tax Freeze.

The council tax freeze just results in a real term cuts in council tax spend as inflation and staff payrises dig into the budget. End result. Both Mac and Fergus will still get their bins emptied, but Mac's working class area which is more reliant on council services such as social housing, social care etc sees less spent on it. Therefore Macs working class area is the one that suffers as it has the heaviest reliance on the diminished services provided.

Conclusion. The more needier of society loose out.

Let us also have a long hard look at the following report relating to child poverty throughout the UK.Amazingly, Scotland is in a better situation than a lot of the area's in the UK although listening to the SNP we are the poorest region in the UK, but Scotland is still far from the best even with a higher spend per capita.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21511583Suprisngly the North West of England, and the Midlands do a better job relating to dealing with Child Poverty than we do with more money to spend on it as they have lower per capita spending than we do, and having more control with a devolved parliament. I guess the question is where does the money go that can impact on that? I think the answer is on the entitlements.

I consider them more as bribes to the electorate and aren't exactly benefitting the most vunerable in society or are sustainable as we've already found out that a seperate Scotland will have to cut public spending even more.

I find it amazing as I see my self more as Fergus than Mac, so I should be jumping for joy with these free entitlments. But alas, I have a social conscious......and I'm not even a labour supporter.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well it wouldn't be for you, would it?

Because week after week, the First Minister exposes the hypocrisy and lies of the leaders of the Scottish branches of the Tories, Labour and Lib-Dems.

Johann Lamont can't even express HER opinion unless and until she has been told by her Westminster bosses what IT is!

He doesn't. He just fails to answer questions. And not being disrepctful to any MSPs, but quite frankly, they're all an shower.
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't care what they've said. I'm happy with the Status quo. I think it's the farest system.
A majority of Scottish voters is in favour of MORE powers. This has been shown regularly by polls.

The 'Bitter Together' anti-Independence Axis is 'promising' 'jam tomorrow'.

Scotland's voters have the right to know what flavour of jam they would get after a No vote - Blue cuts, Red cuts or Yellow cuts?
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

The EU was eager to get countries like Bulgaria and Romania to become members. Do you seriously believe that they would want to throw out Scotland and make it to re-apply and wait? Who would gain from that?
I don't know how Bulgaria or Romania supports your point.

They took a long time to be accepted into the EU, even when the members were "eager".

Exactly, the same will happen with Scotland.

The Germans and French don't give a hoot about Scotland. All they are concerned about is ensuring that all the less powerful countries follow the new fiscal rules with an iron clad fist and that is exactly what they will do with Scotland.
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You've just repeated your post. It still doesn't get away from teh fact that it goes up and down and hovers at a 1/3.

Attachment 204931
Polls certainly go up and down, but you were claiming they were 'stuck' at 30% for the last 30 years - either a falsehood or poor literacy on your part.

But going UP AFTER all those 'FACTS' from the 'Bitter Together' anti-Independence Axis, SHOUTED NON STOP since May 2011, is VERY STRANGE, don't you think?
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Defence
Pensions
Currency
Renewables Investment
State Spending
R&D
Job Creation
Nuclear Decomissioning
Foreign Policy

The Yes Campaign have made a stab at these, but they've been rather vague to say the least.

You seem to forget, the onus is on teh Yes campaign to convince people.
And the No campaign? NOTHING. What is Johann Lamont's view on weapons of mass destruction do you know?

The YES campaign IS convincing people, explained by a very recent increase in support for independence.
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just this one. It's on in the background when I'm doing my studying.

I just generally got unhappy with the Cut and Paste activities of a co ordinated minority of people trying give the impression that they're a majority.

I guess I'm on a one man mission to secure my future as I don't trust the lies that the Nationalists are coming out with.

I also got very concerned with the amount of Navel gazing going on in Scotland at the moment. We're getting too inward looking and it's getting worse......But then again that's what happens in economic downturns. Normal people knuckle down and carry on. The vocal Minority comes out to play though.

If you stop posting sh1te all of the time and use your mind instead of copying and pasting from an SNP website, I won't need to respond all of the time.

You still haven't shown me proof of the banned you tube clip.
In the background while studying? You are spending EVERY MINUTE here. It is the studying which seems to be on the back burner.

How can you call a nation which is aspiring to be INDEPENDENT, a proud member of the world community "Inward looking"???

It is the 'Too small', Too poor', 'Too Stupid' message of the 'Bitter Together' anti-Independence Axis that IS "Inward looking". And more and more Scottish people are seeing right through it.

YOU are the one doing the pasting without thinking, responding to points that are not even addressed to you and making ridiculous comments, while 'struggling to understand' what has been written.

Have you seen the video of the '10 Unionist Myths Exposed'. Post the youtube link here.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A majority of Scottish voters is in favour of MORE powers. This has been shown regularly by polls.

The 'Bitter Together' anti-Independence Axis is 'promising' 'jam tomorrow'.

Scotland's voters have the right to know what flavour of jam they would get after a No vote - Blue cuts, Red cuts or Yellow cuts?

It wasn't in the consultation and the SNP had a mandate fir a vote on seperation.

the onus is on the SNP to argue their point. We can't expect 60 million odd people to sit on the side lines as we pick and choose what extra powers we'd like without involving them. After all we've said they can't be involved in the seperation debate.
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Such a dewy eyed outlook on life

University Tuition Fees

It's generally acknowledged that Middle class people tend to go off to University whilst working class people tend to go off to college. (Personally I really think we've lost our way with trying to get everybody to University as I don't think we'd be anywhere near the mess we're in had we had a strong vibrant manufacturing base.Fergus, although being able to afford it get free University education, whilst Mac is now struggling foolow the SNPs recent cuts to college education resulting in Mac finding it difficult to learn the skills that will allow him to succeed.

Free Prescriptions.Down South.Free prescriptions are available for:-

• are 60 or over
  • are under 16
  • are 16-18 and in full-time education
  • are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx)
  • have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)
  • have a continuing physical disability that prevents you from going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx
  • hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability
  • are an NHS inpatient

You are also entitled to free prescriptions if you or your partner (including civil partners) are named on, or are entitled to, an NHS tax credit exemption certificate or a valid HC2 certificate (full help with health costs), or you receive either:

• Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • Universal Credit

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...tioncosts.aspx

So basically, most people who need free prescriptions get free prescriptions.

Now Fergus, although more than capable of paying for a prescription as he doesn't fit into any of the above categories, gets a free prescription to deal with that rather irratating rash he picked up from a less than safe encounter in a nightclub one night.

Council Tax Freeze.

The council tax freeze just results in a real term cuts in council tax spend as inflation and staff payrises dig into the budget. End result. Both Mac and Fergus will still get their bins emptied, but Mac's working class area which is more reliant on council services such as social housing, social care etc sees less spent on it. Therefore Macs working class area is the one that suffers as it has the heaviest reliance on the diminished services provided.

Conclusion. The more needier of society loose out.

Let us also have a long hard look at the following report relating to child poverty throughout the UK.Amazingly, Scotland is in a better situation than a lot of the area's in the UK although listening to the SNP we are the poorest region in the UK, but Scotland is still far from the best even with a higher spend per capita.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21511583Suprisngly the North West of England, and the Midlands do a better job relating to dealing with Child Poverty than we do with more money to spend on it as they have lower per capita spending than we do, and having more control with a devolved parliament. I guess the question is where does the money go that can impact on that? I think the answer is on the entitlements.

I consider them more as bribes to the electorate and aren't exactly benefitting the most vunerable in society or are sustainable as we've already found out that a seperate Scotland will have to cut public spending even more.

I find it amazing as I see my self more as Fergus than Mac, so I should be jumping for joy with these free entitlments. But alas, I have a social conscious......and I'm not even a labour supporter.
Was that not a 'Cut and Paste' job?
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In the background while studying? You are spending EVERY MINUTE here. It is the studying which seems to be on the back burner.

How can you call a nation which is aspiring to be INDEPENDENT, a proud member of the world community "Inward looking"???

It is the 'Too small', Too poor', 'Too Stupid' message of the 'Bitter Together' anti-Independence Axis that IS "Inward looking". And more and more Scottish people are seeing right through it.

YOU are the one doing the pasting without thinking, responding to points that are not even addressed to you and making ridiculous comments, while 'struggling to understand' what has been written.

Have you seen the video of the '10 Unionist Myths Exposed'. Post the youtube link here.
You and your ilk are inward looking. Once again I'll ask you to refrain from speaking on my, or the majority of scots behalf.

yes, I've seen the you tube video. Nothing new there. They've all pretty much been de bunked by lib more eloquently than I can do it. And you really do need to stop looking at you tube clips as fact. If you search the Internet you'll find YouTube clips from another nationalist party saying how ethnic minorities are really bad...... Because its on YouTube it doesn't make it so
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes, I've seen the you tube video.
Can you PLEASE paste the link to the youtube video you have seen here?
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Was that not a 'Cut and Paste' job?

An original piece of work from two weeks ago but I think it portrays our fairer society. It doesn't show how are fairer society also negatively impacts on the people from the north if England, Wales and Northern Ireland by us being selfish.
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'll let you get on with your studying now.

But PLEASE paste the link to the '10 Unionist Myths Exposed' youtube video YOU have seen here.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can you PLEASE paste the link to the youtube video you have seen here?

Theres no need. Somebody posted it on page 76.

you know. The not so banned banned YouTube clip that isn't banned but elements of society like to make out its banned to promote victim hood.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And the No campaign? NOTHING. What is Johann Lamont's view on weapons of mass destruction do you know?

The YES campaign IS convincing people, explained by a very recent increase in support for independence.

Actually what I'd listed was what the better together has already covered and the SNP haven't.

Theres been a slight upturn in polling. Last week there was a downturn in polling. Separation has hovered at 30% fir twenty odd years
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You also have myopia in the real sense - you can't notice the difference between 'Midlander' and 'MatureStudent36'.

So pay a visit to the optician as well.
To be fair answering questions isn't your forte. Responding wildly in upper case would be that.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Funny really if you watch FMQs Salmond takes a very aggressive stance when discussing anything independence related but a much softer tone on anything non independence related. It's almost as though it's his personal agenda to break the union.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads