Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For Q1, would a toxic sub-culture be a valid reason for profitable businesses having different cultures? I talked about how as a business gets more profitable, employees values may change and seek short term profit (Barclays) and evaluated by saying that this only occurs in some big businesses so it depends on the type on employees they have.

ReputationRep:
    Who did the government question and what did you write?

For the culture question I did the one about culture change, just said that some companies needed to change, such as Nokia, in order for them to survive, and some needed to change but didn't, Kodak, so it's not inevitable that the culture will change because it depends on the leader/management and how resistant to change they are.

Also said that Apple have a culture of secrecy and innovation so which is making them successful and puts them at a competitive advantage and more publicly and stuff when there products are released.

Was I on the right lines? Does it sound right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emgeesify)
    Who did the government question and what did you write?

For the culture question I did the one about culture change, just said that some companies needed to change, such as Nokia, in order for them to survive, and some needed to change but didn't, Kodak, so it's not inevitable that the culture will change because it depends on the leader/management and how resistant to change they are.

Also said that Apple have a culture of secrecy and innovation so which is making them successful and puts them at a competitive advantage and more publicly and stuff when there products are released.

Was I on the right lines? Does it sound right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I spoke about companies abiding the minimum requirements of the law and Starbucks avoiding tax the deficit and why the government should intervene
    edit: on reflection your answer is fine I wrote similar/ the same stuff about apple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_W-x)
    I spoke about companies abiding the minimum requirements of the law and Starbucks avoiding tax the deficit and why the government should intervene
    I wrote about Primark and the thing with them using child labour, the Enron scandal for reasons why the government should regulate businesses more often

And then I used Cadburys their policy of CSR for why the government shouldn't

Made points about how if the government did regulate the activity of businesses then it may help build customer confidence cause they can trust business more because there's less chance of them using child labour

And points against were that for company's like Cadburys it would be a waste of time because they already have a CSR policy

And just generally it would be time consuming and expensive...is this right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about Primark and the thing with them using child labour, the Enron scandal for reasons why the government should regulate businesses more often

Made points about how if the government did regulate the activity of businesses then it may help build customer confidence cause they can trust business more because there's less chance of them using child labour

And points against were that for company's like Cadburys it would be a waste of time because they already have a CSR policy

And just generally it would be time consuming and expensive...is this right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    no idea pal hahah! don't worry about it. it's over theres nothing you can do, enjoy your summer

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who did the government question...

And just generally it would be time consuming and expensive...is this right!!! Help??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I also did this question and wrote about Primark and Enron for negatives But instead of Cadbury used Starbucks as a positive and Apple as another negative
    As long as you made a balanced view and explained why the actions called for more or no more regulation can see analysis and application being good

ReputationRep:
    I did 1 an 4

For q1 used Goggle with their culture, then compared to Gazprom - same culture but different industry and Apple - same industry but opposite culture

For q4 did as ned intervention Banks (Lehman & Barclays), Oil&Gas (Exxon&Gazprom) and that don't need intervntion Coffee Shops (Starbucks&Costa Cofee)

Wrote 10 pages-finished right on the last line of the last page i thought it was a decent exam... very open and 2 broad questions (1&5) on really not syllabus stuff - so some people found them easy)

ReputationRep:
    did 2 & 3

for 2 i said it depends how the business grows, i.e. organic growth would not require a change in culture
    for 3 i think i concluded by saying they can prepare to some extent with swot analysis etc..

for section A how much do i have to refer to the case study? i only mentioned it once but based an argument on it, should that be enough?

ReputationRep:
    For section A question 2 on the factor changing culture, i put culture is changed to restore reputation such as that in Barclays where their profit focus culture had to be changed due to a fall in their reputation.

Is that a valid point??

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone think the grade boundaries are going to be? I need 55-60 UMS for an overall B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moj)
    What does everyone think the grade boundaries are going to be? I need 55-60 UMS for an overall B.
    previous to similar years i reckon, but hoping for lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moj)
    My best guess would be:
    A* 61
    A 55
    B 48
    C 41
    D 35
    E 29

ReputationRep:
    i did 2 and 5, seems like im the only one with this combination lol. i thought it was okay but the section b questions coulda been better and i was running out of time for the section b so my conclusion kinda sucked but I did evaluate in earlier paragraphs.

anywayssss, that was my last exam! everyone in the exam hall was smiling at themselves at the end lol, as i'm sure for many of you it was the last one too! lets forget about exams now and enjoy summer !

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking though surely learning the theory for BUSS4 was pointless? Didn't really need to use any of it.

Any exam went very well I thought I just used the examples I'd remembered and answered 1 and 3, seeing as I haven't done any work for 3 weeks not bad!

Q1 - Did Barclays, Google and John Lewis

Q3 - Did Comet, Nokia, Apple, HMV, Amazon, Tesco

ReputationRep:
    For question three (businesses preparing for a change in the external environment) I said that technology (the internet) affected Jessops badly with smartphones having cameras and cheaper suppliers abroad selling online for less because they don't have the cost of a physical premise. If they planned for this it would have changed the business model and lost a lot of people their jobs. Do you think this is a point for analysis and application?

ReputationRep:
    i did q1 and q3...barely could think of any examples and started twisting some facts...for q3 i started talking about pestle and one paragraph about porters 5 forces e.g. consumer demand. Political, legal: i used monopoly markets, economic: starbucks and expanding overseas when growth slowed down in uk&usa..technological linked that with porter and social with contingecy planning : cadbury and salmonella...hopefully its okay

i thought my q1 was pretty good till i looked here

ReputationRep:
    Q1 and Q4. Ah Q1 was a nice question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futuristicmedic)
    I talked about :

Tesco diversifying into legal advice and mobile phones
    Evaluation point - they will continue to grow as they have an in depth knowledge of the market compared to smaller competitors (talked about the club card being able to identify the loyal customers and demographic)

Apple going into emerging markets
    Evaluation point - dependent on ability to stay in front of competition by innovation

Procter and gamble by acquiring different companies and growing them into multinationals
    Evaluation point - try to avoid diseconomies of scale but should work regardless as no imminent threat
    Then across industry comparison with Facebook and how they can't grow much more due to global monopolisation but they could diversity into mobile phones etc

Conclusion
    Dependent of CEOs attitude to risk as they're are plenty of growth strategys but some will provide more riskier but better results than others

Posted from TSR Mobile

Point 1 - I talked about increasing globalisation, which will mean large companies will be able to expand more easily and transportation costs are reduced. Used IKEA as an example of a firm who have done this.

Point 2- Some firms have tried to grow by entering new markets such as Tesco with Fresh and Easy, however they wernt successful as consumers had different tastes. So some firms may not be able to grow.

Point 3 - Changes in the external environment such as technological advances mean some large firm may face greater competition in next 20 years. This has been the case with Kodak who have decreased in size over the last 20 years.

What do you think of my points???

ReputationRep:
    I did Q 2 and 4

ReputationRep:
    Anyone did question 1:
    I talked about the Google(iteam having innovative,entrepreneurial, consutructive(cooke) culture) role and task too (handY)
    Compared it to Apple ^^pretty the same stufff
    Contrasted it with Vogue- power culture and authority of Wintour
    Evaluation: depends on the leadership of the leader and founder.

Anyonw put somethig like this?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.