Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    Few quotes from series 6 finale making me think that the ending which went "Doctor Who?" isn't as cheesy anymore (In spoilers because it's a bit long)

I wonder what The Fall of the Eleventh is referring to
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Christmas Special? Now we know that Matt Smith is leaving then?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a shame in a way that Matt is leaving, I felt like we were finally starting to see some more depth to his Doctor and emotions other than the silly/funny persona we see so much of. For instance I thought his big speech against the sun god was very well acted, and also when he played the cyber version of the Doctor he portrayed a completely different personality and was quite creepy.

Unfortunately the writing in many of the episodes is quite weak and doesn't really allow the actors to shine. The main problem (IMO) is the writers often try to fit in overly complex stories, which basically results in the episode being rushed and resolved very quickly in the last few minutes, often with the use of 'deus ex machina'. Put simply, the episodes have problems with pacing, and sometimes just don't really make sense.

The other thing that annoys me is the way some of the characters are written, namely the Doctor and Clara. For instance in the Cold War, the way Clara acted made no sense, she wasn't even scared and kept smiling and being all chirpy/jokey. I think this did get better through the series, and to be fair I do like Clara as a companion, but it's as if the writers are trying to fit in all these neat little jokes and quirks, but it kinda gets in the way of the real emotion and story.

Though it probably is about time Matt left, before he gets too typecast or stale, I think there is a real issue with the writing (and perhaps direction) of Doctor Who at the moment. Lots of people just don't watch it anymore, because the stories are much more convoluted and many plot points just go unresolved/unexplained. I often find myself confused or frustrated with the stories, and this isn't necessarily going to change with a new Doctor. It's not that I hate every episode- there were several I quite liked this series- but I do think it's time for Moffat to step aside and let someone else take the reigns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montstar)
    The other thing that annoys me is the way some of the characters are written, namely the Doctor and Clara.
    I agree with you. I like Clara but I do think the writing doesn't show off her acting.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people want this as the Doctor Who theme tune. I think it's pretty cool. What do you guys think?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucDQlnvU5FM

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...BBC-urged.html

From the above article: Only 4.6 million people have tuned in to some episodes, and though the BBC insists the resurrected drama has eight million viewers, even this is well down from the ten million when the show was revived in 2005.
    But a BBC spokesman said: ‘The show has the highest audience share of all dramas on any channel this year and is in the top three most requested shows on iPlayer.’

I actually think that since Moffat took over he's tried to appeal to a much wider audience, bringing in more fans who have never watched the show before. If they haven't seen the pre-MS era then they can't compare the quality and notice the poor writing/plot-lines much. I don't think SM even knows he's being criticised because he's so preoccupied with getting more fans in America. Plus the fact that he's busy with Sherlock and loads of other things. They need to replace Moffat with someone who's going to focus on Doctor Who only and not underestimate what it takes to keep up the show's good reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonrage973)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...BBC-urged.html

From the above article: Only 4.6 million people have tuned in to some episodes, and though the BBC insists the resurrected drama has eight million viewers, even this is well down from the ten million when the show was revived in 2005.
    But a BBC spokesman said: ‘The show has the highest audience share of all dramas on any channel this year and is in the top three most requested shows on iPlayer.’

I actually think that since Moffat took over he's tried to appeal to a much wider audience, bringing in more fans who have never watched the show before. If they haven't seen the pre-MS era then they can't compare the quality and notice the poor writing/plot-lines much. I don't think SM even knows he's being criticised because he's so preoccupied with getting more fans in America. Plus the fact that he's busy with Sherlock and loads of other things. They need to replace Moffat with someone who's going to focus on Doctor Who only and not underestimate what it takes to keep up the show's good reputation.

What that doesn't take into account is they way people watch TV has changed drastically since the first few series. 4.6m is the overnights only. The total reach when including figures gained from the likes of Sky+ and the iPlayer is still above 7.5m, which isn't much difference from the RTD era.

Of course, the discussion as to whether the show has dropped in terms of creativity and quality is a different matter...

EDIT: In fact, looking at the 'Live +7' data, which is the in house data the BBC use to look at the total reach of their programmes within the first 7 days of broadcast Series 1 averages 7.95m, where as Series 7 averages 8.42m (excluding Christmas Specials)

ReputationRep:
    I hope they don't try and do diversity stunt casting, the Doctor should be a white male, and preferably older this time around

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    He would be rather awesome in that part. Didn't the Master get destroyed by the former Timelords or something? Presumably they could fix that with a bit of time manipulation....
    Nah, no explanation given. He should just return like TA-DAAA and get on with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chantilly98)
    I agree with you. I like Clara but I do think the writing doesn't show off her acting.
    This. She is a bloody fantastic actor. The way she acted in the final episode made me tingly inside.

ReputationRep:
    I just read a comment saying to get rid of Moffat.

........I thought I'd never read those words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollymurslove)
    I just read a comment saying to get rid of Moffat.

........I thought I'd never read those words.
    Loads of people have been calling for him to go, with substantial criticism of the most recent 2 series. In particular, there has been a lot of talk about the rapidly falling audience figures which, while still extremely high for a BBC drama, are nowhere near the figures under RTD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Loads of people have been calling for him to go, with substantial criticism of the most recent 2 series. In particular, there has been a lot of talk about the rapidly falling audience figures which, while still extremely high for a BBC drama, are nowhere near the figures under RTD.
    The final viewing figures increased year on year under Moffat, and are higher than the first year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    The final viewing figures increased year on year under Moffat, and are higher than the first year
    Not really. Yes they are generally higher than the first new series, but series 7 had 4 episodes in a row under 7 million, and there's been a gradual decline under Moffat according to the figures on wikipedia...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Not really. Yes they are generally higher than the first new series, but series 7 had 4 episodes in a row under 7 million, and there's been a gradual decline under Moffat according to the figures on wikipedia...
    Hmmmm. I prefer Moffat's stories when he's under RTD, but of the two I prefer Moffat's style of things.

The new exec producer, I hope he'll do some weight throwing and "improve" the series, which even I admit needs doing
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Magical!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if anyone's seen this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...o-orbit-really

They might actually make it as well! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    What would it take to get Jenna Louise Coleman to go out with me.

ReputationRep:
    David Tennant or benedict cumberbatch (sherlock) should defo play the next role of the doctor but unlikely as the role is usually played by someone virtually unknown. Is jenna loise coleman leaving to.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aneesah_May)
    David Tennant or benedict cumberbatch (sherlock) should defo play the next role of the doctor but unlikely as the role is usually played by someone virtually unknown. Is jenna loise coleman leaving to.
    David Tennant already played the Doctor...

/notsureifserious
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Why do so many keep saying they want Tennant to come back? It's not going to happen, no idea why people want him as the next doctor.

Anyway - Brian Blessed or Neil Flynn please.

ReputationRep:
    Brian Blessed would 100% end the show for me. I would never watch it again if he was in it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.