Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone, first time poster, long time reader!

Just wanted to say; Good luck to everyone for this years application cycle! I'm so glad for the ball to be finally rolling!

I've received one reference back, just waiting for my Academic reference now and I can pay and send! Exciting stuff!

I'm applying for a Primary PGCE, anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    ^^I'm applying for Primary too. Just sorting my references. Who have you used as yours? Where are you applying? :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    ^^I'm applying for Primary too. Just sorting my references. Who have you used as yours? Where are you applying? :-)
    An academic tutor as my first referee, then one of my previous summer camp employers from America. Funnily enough he did his first and with the time difference it worked out about 8 am there, was rather surprised as i thought that would be last to come in!

How about you? Where are you applying ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_disney)
    An academic tutor as my first referee, then one of my previous summer camp employers from America. Funnily enough he did his first and with the time difference it worked out about 8 am there, was rather surprised as i thought that would be last to come in!

How about you? Where are you applying ?
    I have asked my personal tutor from uni and my manager from work. I wanted a reference from my school experience but timing meant that was a little difficult. Going to speak to a class teacher Monday though and see what she says -sending my application Monday evening.

I am applying to Derby, Nottingham Trent and Leicester. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    I have asked my personal tutor from uni and my manager from work. I wanted a reference from my school experience but timing meant that was a little difficult. Going to speak to a class teacher Monday though and see what she says -sending my application Monday evening.

I am applying to Derby, Nottingham Trent and Leicester. You?
    Sounds ace, Best of luck, and I'm applying to: Brighton, Chichester and Sussex

fingers crossed! :pingu:

ReputationRep:
    How long are you guys giving your references until you nudge them along a bit? I don't want to seem inpatient, but since some courses may close in two weeks, I want to send it off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    How long are you guys giving your references until you nudge them along a bit? I don't want to seem inpatient, but since some courses may close in two weeks, I want to send it off!
    I was wondering the same, I sent a nice email to mine yesterday when I submitted it just confirming I had done so, and any probs to let me know, just a matter of waiting i guess :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_disney)
    I was wondering the same, I sent a nice email to mine yesterday when I submitted it just confirming I had done so, and any probs to let me know, just a matter of waiting i guess :/
    That's exactly what I did. I think if we were allowed to just get the teacher to do it and not the head, mine would have gone by now. I'm just waiting on him, he seems a bit slow and forgetful . May give them a nudge if it gets towards late next week.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly what I did. I think if we were allowed to just get the teacher to do it and not the head, mine would have gone by now. I'm just waiting on him, he seems a bit slow and forgetful . May give them a nudge if it gets towards late next week.
    I've already emailed mine once today I'm going to have to rebook my skills tests if she doesn't do it by Sunday...

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm filling in my application and am up to the school and work experience section. How much detail are we meant to put in this? I've listed out all my experience in the format

"from X date to X date I worked at Y school with this age of pupils, the duration of my placement was Z days"

but I have loads of space left! Are we meant to put details about how we found the placements, the work we did on them etc? Because I thought that's what the personal statement was for and this one was literally just for listing the dates of placements...

Also should I be including placements I've been accepted onto but haven't completed yet? For example "in early 2014 I will be completing a placement of X days at Y primary school?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    I've already emailed mine once today I'm going to have to rebook my skills tests if she doesn't do it by Sunday...
    What did you say? Just explained about the skills test?

ReputationRep:
    How do you know if you referees complete their references? Do you get an email?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How can I send something on the start date when I have no school experience?

I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    What did you say? Just explained about the skills test?
    Yeh. I mean, I did ask her two weeks ago for the reference, and said it would be sent to her on the 21st. So I just politely asked her if she could complete it by Sunday so I could take my tests on Monday. No reply! I know she's really busy, and I said that I understand... but IM IMPATIENT!!!!

(Original post by steph_cook92)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeh, you get one email when they agree to do the reference, and one when they do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry_007)

I'm confused.
    What do you mean by 'send something on the start date'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_cook92)
    Yeah you get 2 emails, one saying they've accepted being the reference request. Then you will get a second saying they have submitted it

Frustrating right? I'm waiting for my academic reference now, the other one was done within a couple of hours!

ReputationRep:
    Copied and pasted over my personal statement and it was so many lines over! UGH. I've basically had to delete two whole paragraphs I think it still reads okay but I'm sad that I had to get rid of a lot of my hard work to make it fit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry_007)

I'm confused.
    You don't. Or you put the dates of when you are going to start. It's not just for school experience, it's for employment (paid and voluntuary) as well.

ReputationRep:
    I meant the PGCE application. I want to get it in early but I haven't t got the time to do some experience now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fen2k)
    You don't. Or you put the dates of when you are going to start. It's not just for school experience, it's for employment (paid and voluntuary) as well.
    Oh okay. So I just write something like this for my personal statement:

''I will begin my school experience post-January''.

The end.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.