SQA Results Day 2013 - Discussion Watch

johnmuir
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well RGU have now officially rejected me! :-( I have got clearing courses looked at and none are exactly what I want to do which is so frustrating. What I wanted to know is should I wait until A Level results are out? Only asking because I thought that maybe if people had failed too, then they wouldn't get their place on the course I was rejected too and I could possibly get a chance to be reconsidered by RGU as the A Level people had been rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
EcosseSchottland
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just joined the forums! I was sitting four Highers in French, German, Modern Studies and English and got all As.
Confused!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Guys, the entry requirements are AABBC or ABBBB or ABBBCC for Computer Science. I managed to get ABC (A in computing, B in Modern Studies and C in English) in my highers this year (5th year) and they allow us to get the requirements over two years. Just from an educated guess, do you guys reckon I'd be able to get a conditional for the course?
MichGaughan97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys picking my subjects for 5th year on Monday and not entirely sure what to pick.

I am looking to do Sports Journalism at University but no Universities specify which subjects are required on their websites.

I was thinking of doing English (H), History (H), Spanish (H), Computing (H) and I am stuck on the last one.

The rest of the subjects I did last year were: Biology. (Got a 2), PE (1), Physics (2) and failed Int2 maths.

I would pick PE but my dad doesn't want me too. What do you think I should pick?

Thanks
ohsnapitsmela
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MichGaughan97)
Hey guys picking my subjects for 5th year on Monday and not entirely sure what to pick.

I am looking to do Sports Journalism at University but no Universities specify which subjects are required on their websites.

I was thinking of doing English (H), History (H), Spanish (H), Computing (H) and I am stuck on the last one.

The rest of the subjects I did last year were: Biology. (Got a 2), PE (1), Physics (2) and failed Int2 maths.

I would pick PE but my dad doesn't want me too. What do you think I should pick?

Thanks
I would advise you to have a go at your int 2 maths again as your fifth option, as unis will probably expect you to have this at least.

Definitely do higher english as a vast majority of unis look for a B pass, especially for courses like journalism.

Your other options sound fine. Good luck with your highers!
Pennyarcade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thanks
Isnt it not wise to pick P.E for sports journalism? Its your highers, not your dads.
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by johnmuir)
Well RGU have now officially rejected me! :-( I have got clearing courses looked at and none are exactly what I want to do which is so frustrating. What I wanted to know is should I wait until A Level results are out? Only asking because I thought that maybe if people had failed too, then they wouldn't get their place on the course I was rejected too and I could possibly get a chance to be reconsidered by RGU as the A Level people had been rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh, I'm sorry to hear that, mate! The longer you wait, the more places will disappear from Clearing as it's first come; first served. Waiting until the 15th probably won't open up much more places at Scottish universities!

(Original post by EcosseSchottland)
Just joined the forums! I was sitting four Highers in French, German, Modern Studies and English and got all As.
Congrats dude.

(Original post by Confused!)
Guys, the entry requirements are AABBC or ABBBB or ABBBCC for Computer Science. I managed to get ABC (A in computing, B in Modern Studies and C in English) in my highers this year (5th year) and they allow us to get the requirements over two years. Just from an educated guess, do you guys reckon I'd be able to get a conditional for the course?
Yeah, your Highers are totally fine for those entry requirements! They won't be the limiting factor. Just have to make up the slack in 6th year!

Thanks
I definitely think you should try to get your int 2 in Maths some time, but remember you've got 2 years to get your Highers. I don't think it matters whether you do int 2 maths in 5th year, then PE in 6th or vice versa.
moddom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is anyone else still waiting on a decision. I called Dundee on Tuesday and they said a few days, really hope to hear today as tracking is then closed till Thursday.
Bonzo10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by moddom)
Is anyone else still waiting on a decision. I called Dundee on Tuesday and they said a few days, really hope to hear today as tracking is then closed till Thursday.
Yeah, I exceeded my conditions but Newcastle still haven't made my offer unconditional!
FizzicsGuy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thanks

Why doesn't your dad want you to do H PE?

I thought it was one of the hardest courses provided by the SQA an I salute anyone who does it. I done H Maths, H PE, H Computing and H Physics this year. PE is underestimated by many people as just practical but the theory was more intense then any of my other classes.

You should do it. :P
katherine96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When will the Physics, Biology and Maths marking schemes be published? I want to mark my papers to see what band I got!
CSM1996
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by katherine96)
When will the Physics, Biology and Maths marking schemes be published? I want to mark my papers to see what band I got!
You can always phone up/visit your school and they will be able to tell you because they have them! If not, you will find out when you go back to school
nECS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you could just phone your school?
TheFOMaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ask your teachers when you go back for them?
katherine96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheFOMaster)
Ask your teachers when you go back for them?
I could... but I am sad and want the satisfaction of marking my own paper!
Ecosse_14
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Bonzo10)
Yeah, I exceeded my conditions but Newcastle still haven't made my offer unconditional!
Have you spoke to them?
TheTerminator420
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I done three social sciences, couple of languages and business ed, with compulsory English maths at SG. I got 6 1s and 2 2s. 2s being in English maths but I want to take them both at higher along with 3 other highers. Totalling 5 highers. Is this a wise choice? I got a 2ku and 3re in maths. I done very little studying. I am looking for 5As with revision
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheTerminator420)
I done three social sciences, couple of languages and business ed, with compulsory English maths at SG. I got 6 1s and 2 2s. 2s being in English maths but I want to take them both at higher along with 3 other highers. Totalling 5 highers. Is this a wise choice? I got a 2ku and 3re in maths. I done very little studying. I am looking for 5As with revision
Yeah, bud. Your subject choices are fine! Just remember to put the work in and you'll be able to get the grades you want.
Adykonvict1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got ABB this year and plan on doing law. I need advice for my S6 options ,i have picked Higher english , physics and advanced higher mods.From advanced higher maths, higher philosophy and rmps , I can only pick 2. Anyone help?
TheFOMaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Adykonvict1)
I got ABB this year and plan on doing law. I need advice for my S6 options ,i have picked Higher english , physics and advanced higher mods.From advanced higher maths, higher philosophy and rmps , I can only pick 2. Anyone help?
Philosophy and RMPS would be more helpful for Law than AH Maths from my understanding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (90)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (181)
40.22%
Nope, not that interesting (179)
39.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise