Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revelry26)
    Thank you!
    I shall try not to panic . Do colleges send out invitations according to their own independent schedules or do all of them coordinate and send out invitationsfor one subject all at once and then move on to the next one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Colleges are very independent when it comes to sending out invites, they all have different schedules and ways of processing applications. I imagine it's the norm for colleges to send out decisions for each subject all at once, however there's no hard and fast rule. If tutors are deliberating over the borderline candidates (whether to interview or not) they may just send out invites to all those they definitely want to interview, and those getting rejected, while they decide on the borderline candidates.

However, there's so many different situations that can be the case it's not worth pondering whether you're rejected or not until you literally get rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by journeyinwards)
    I didn't get any reply from Lincoln yet. Does that mean I'm rejected already?
    Lol, no! Every college has its own schedule, especially for internationals, and people who applied for the same course can hear back weeks apart. I'm sure you'll get an interview invitation soon (if you go back a few pages, you'll read that the rough cut-off for interviews is around 45 this year).
    (Original post by revelry26)
    Congratulations! did you get an email or was it displayed on ucas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, I'm sure you'll hear from your college in the next couple of weeks as well. I got an email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by souktik)
    Lol, no! Every college has its own schedule, especially for internationals, and people who applied for the same course can hear back weeks apart. I'm sure you'll get an interview invitation soon (if you go back a few pages, you'll read that the rough cut-off for interviews is around 45 this year).

Thanks, I'm sure you'll hear from your college in the next couple of weeks as well. I got an email.
    Isn't 45 the avg score of all applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Besides, what is the cut off for interviews this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by journeyinwards)
    Besides, what is the cut off for interviews this year?
    [/URL][/SIZE]
    It's not quite as simple as a "cut off point". We draw a rough line in the sand. Although the MAT test scores are really important, and contribute significantly towards that line, we do also look at (contextualised) GCSE scores, and all the other things we know about someone at this point. The tutors then have the freedom to also invite for interviews people who fall a bit below that rough line, if they can see good reason to.

In some cases, the tutors can decide not to call for interview someone slightly above the line - if, for example, it's clear that they are unable to meet our standard conditional offer. So the idea of a "cut off point" isn't quite right. The rough line in the sand this year is a bit above the average score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
    It's not quite as simple as a "cut off point". We draw a rough line in the sand. Although the MAT test scores are really important, and contribute significantly towards that line, we do also look at (contextualised) GCSE scores, and all the other things we know about someone at this point. The tutors then have the freedom to also invite for interviews people who fall a bit below that rough line, if they can see good reason to.

In some cases, the tutors can decide not to call for interview someone slightly above the line - if, for example, it's clear that they are unable to meet our standard conditional offer. So the idea of a "cut off point" isn't quite right. The rough line in the sand this year is a bit above the average score.
    Makes sense. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Skype interview invitation from St John's! I feel so relieved! :dance:
    Congrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prinz655)
    Congrats
    Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Magdalen CS interview!!!! :O :O :O

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from St Hugh’s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR561)
    Congratulations! It's all so real nowww.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congrats :-)

ReputationRep:
    Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarquin Digby)
    So apparently the average mark was about 45 - much lower this year.
    Yes, sir.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! You're a domestic applicant, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well done to everyone with interviews!

ReputationRep:
    Has Balliol started giving out interview invites for CS/Math?

ReputationRep:
    Interview for Computer Science at Worcester!! I still can't believe it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye25)
    Interview for Computer Science at Worcester!! I still can't believe it
    Congratulations! Interviews for Math, CS, and related courses are trickling in now.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! You're a domestic applicant, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, what have you applied for?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.