St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants Watch

Reddish
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by und)
Ah, thanks for the info. After STEP I'm not hopeful about going to Cambridge, but hopefully if I do the rooms will indeed be nice.

Also if the tour guide said that for year 12s, then that means the current year 13s will probably either be staying in the refurbished parts or elsewhere.
What course are you applying for? I wanna apply to engineering and I didn take FM so I might have to do STEP ;( even tho my school offers FM ... I'm such an idiot.

Was STEP really hard? How did u revise and for how long?

Posted from TSR Mobile
und
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Reddish)
What course are you applying for? I wanna apply to engineering and I didn take FM so I might have to do STEP ;( even tho my school offers FM ... I'm such an idiot.

Was STEP really hard? How did u revise and for how long?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got an offer for maths so I had to get 1,1 in STEP II and III.

It seemed like I'd do fine until I was actually sat in the exam hall with the paper in front of me. So yes, it's very hard, particularly when you add in the exam pressure. For engineering most colleges wouldn't ask you for STEP though, right? And even if they do they'll either ask for a lower grade or they'll let you take STEP I, so you should be OK if you do enough practice. I pretty much did nothing but STEP from January onwards personally, and even that might not have been enough as I saw.
Reddish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by und)
I've got an offer for maths so I had to get 1,1 in STEP II and III.

It seemed like I'd do fine until I was actually sat in the exam hall with the paper in front of me. So yes, it's very hard, particularly when you add in the exam pressure. For engineering most colleges wouldn't ask you for STEP though, right? And even if they do they'll either ask for a lower grade or they'll let you take STEP I, so you should be OK if you do enough practice. I pretty much did nothing but STEP from January onwards personally, and even that might not have been enough as I saw.
Oh god that sounds hard ;( and the collee tht I'm applying to wants step especially I I haven't proven my mathematical ability (I haven't takes FM A2!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
rain on dry ground
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Banishingboredom)
The refurbished staircases G/H and from next year F/E are available to freshers in Cripps. Next year staircases A-D are being refurbished so no go there. Cripps rooms cost between £1200-£1350 a term.

You also get the choice of rooms in Chapel Court and North Court, which are usually sets shared with one other person (you have your own room but share a kitchen and bathroom). These cost between £800-£1100. They are nicely furnished and warm, and better value than the Cripps rooms. However your setmate could be a complete ****, or worse a mathmo so choose wisely.

I'd personally advise going for Cripps rooms, and they have just been refurbished, are very nice indeed with awesome communal kitchen areas.
They are also closer to the backs, the gym, the squash courts and music practice rooms etc. On the other hand New Court/ Chapel court are close to the town and the supermarket. There are very few social benefits either way so don't worry about that.

If you're really unlucky and end up at the bottom of the (random) ballot you might have to live in a house outside of college, but this has it positives as well.
So where you live really doesn't matter socially even though most freshers live in Cripps?
rain on dry ground
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can anyone confirm that pillows and duvets aren't provided? I am assuming that that's the case but I don't want to leave mine in the UK just to then discover that I didn't need to Thanks!
Caribbean Pride
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rain on dry ground)
Can anyone confirm that pillows and duvets aren't provided? I am assuming that that's the case but I don't want to leave mine in the UK just to then discover that I didn't need to Thanks!
They are provided...at least in most rooms. Whether or not they are comfortable depends on personal preference. My pillows were quite uncomfortable so I had to buy another one.
rain on dry ground
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you! One more thing I won't have to take with me :woo:
(Original post by Caribbean Pride)
They are provided...at least in most rooms. Whether or not they are comfortable depends on personal preference. My pillows were quite uncomfortable so I had to buy another one.
azns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this a competitive college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Viceroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by azns)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, John's is a very popular college, and admissions are competitive.
und
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by azns)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on the subject and there's also a large element of luck involved, as the quantity and quality of applicants can fluctuate significantly between years.
azns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Viceroy)
Yes, John's is a very popular college, and admissions are competitive.
That's what I thought.
I used to think that the big three were Trinity, John's, and King's - but now it seems as though Trinity, Clare and Pembroke are, while John's seems to be around the middle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
azns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by und)
It depends on the subject and there's also a large element of luck involved, as the quantity and quality of applicants can fluctuate significantly between years.
Which subjects would you say are significantly competitive for John's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
und
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by azns)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no idea. I had the impression that maths would have been quite competitive, but having gone through the admissions process this year for that, it seemed like it was one of the less competitive colleges to get into after receiving an offer, but maybe more competitive before receiving the offer. If that doesn't make sense, maths admissions are determined by your grades in an exam called STEP, which you take after receiving the offer.

You can try looking at the statistics for the last five years on the university website to get a rough idea of the competitiveness in the subject you want to apply for, but like I said this can vary enormously every year.
Reddish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Urgh I really wanna apply to johns but I'm not sure if I'm good enough. Everyone else is saying they got 98 UMS blah blah.
I got
Maths: 98%
Physics: 90.67%
Chemistry: 90.67%
Product: 80% ( :/ )
Critical thinking: D!!!!!! Wtf even?!!

I wanna apply for engineering and I plan on self teaching the A level next year.

Do I have a chance?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reddish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Reddish)
Urgh I really wanna apply to johns but I'm not sure if I'm good enough. Everyone else is saying they got 98 UMS blah blah.
I got
Maths: 98%
Physics: 90.67%
Chemistry: 90.67%
Product: 80% ( :/ )
Critical thinking: D!!!!!! Wtf even?!!

I wanna apply for engineering and I plan on self teaching the A level next year.

Do I have a chance?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
*self teaching the further maths a level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Viceroy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by azns)

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/subjects-st-johns
Banishingboredom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So where you live really doesn't matter socially even though most freshers live in Cripps?
It'll be a 50/50 split between Cripps and other courts this year. Makes very little difference, though obviously it's better if your best friends live near you.
rain on dry ground
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know - so annoying! I had just decided to go for a room not in Cripps and now there are probably only going to be Cripps rooms left by the time it's my turn... Which leads me to my next question (hooray!): there's a price reduction for all Cripps rooms because of the building noise, do you know how much noise has been a problem in Cripps in the last few years with the other renovations? thanks
(Original post by Banishingboredom)
It'll be a 50/50 split between Cripps and other courts this year. Makes very little difference, though obviously it's better if your best friends live near you.
Caribbean Pride
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know - so annoying! I had just decided to go for a room not in Cripps and now there are probably only going to be Cripps rooms left by the time it's my turn... Which leads me to my next question (hooray!): there's a price reduction for all Cripps rooms because of the building noise, do you know how much noise has been a problem in Cripps in the last few years with the other renovations? thanks
The noise shouldn't be too problematic. Last year E & F Cripps were refurbished along with the school of Pythagoras. Keeping your windows closed simply solved the issue. Only difference this year is that the rooms being refurbished are more centralised.
Banishingboredom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't worry about the noise, but bear in mind you'll have to walk through/ by a building site everyday.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (117)
80.69%
Leave (28)
19.31%

Watched Threads