Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Generally, I believe you have to be on the scheme two years before you are eligible to apply for promotion. It may be spelt out in your contract. The advice I've got is promotions are possible before the end of four years, if managers think it contributes to your development, or if you have considerable previous experience. I'm not a generalist, so my scheme has different rules. Best bet is to go on the Facebook page today, and ask any questions there. https://www.facebook.com/faststream

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know, roughly, when we will be told where we will be located? I am in the Finance Stream, have sent my checking documents all away and they have sent out reference requests so just waiting on the all clear now!

Thanks

Ailie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ailss)
    Does anyone know, roughly, when we will be told where we will be located? I am in the Finance Stream, have sent my checking documents all away and they have sent out reference requests so just waiting on the all clear now!

Thanks

Ailie
    I'm also waiting. I have a feeling that it depends on when the department you're placed with contacts you, as a friend of mine who passed his FSAC at around the same time as me has already received confirmation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyNoGod)
    I'm also waiting. I have a feeling that it depends on when the department you're placed with contacts you, as a friend of mine who passed his FSAC at around the same time as me has already received confirmation.

Ahh okay... hoping it's not too long, but have a feeling it will be. Just hoping we are not waiting months as the thought of having to move away is a bit scary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ailss)
    Ahh okay... hoping it's not too long, but have a feeling it will be. Just hoping we are not waiting months as the thought of having to move away is a bit scary!
    I've been waiting since I found out I passed on 2nd December so I asked the fast stream team this yesterday and got the following response.
    "
    You should hear about your placement within a Department in the next couple of weeks and then you will be given a contact number for someone within the Department that you will be able to speak to re your contract etc. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankers1088)
    I've been waiting since I found out I passed on 2nd December so I asked the fast stream team this yesterday and got the following response.
    "
    You should hear about your placement within a Department in the next couple of weeks and then you will be given a contact number for someone within the Department that you will be able to speak to re your contract etc. "

Thanks! Where did you see this?

ReputationRep:
    Another lurker here!

I applied for the Houses of Parliament stream and have been invited to the FSAC on the 19th Jan (getting close!)

I know this question has been asked numerous times but is it true that there little scope to prepare for the exercises other than the interview?

Also, has anybody made it to the final selection board in a previous year? What was it like? - I know this is premature but I am really curious.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copycats&Acrobats)
    My orentation thing is on the 30th Jan and my assessment day is on the 5th Feb. But I'm not sure if that means yours will be the same as by the looks of things there are several. you should hear about the date soon though as I got mine within a couple of days from the orientation info.
    See you on the 30th then! My assessment day is all the way in March though-found out recently.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

I have my FSAC in a couple of days, and I was wondering if anyone with experience of the assessment centres could tell me whether the interviews tend to focus more or less exclusively on you and your competencies, or whether there's likely to be discussion about the stream you've applied for - e.g. asking opinions about foreign policy if applying for the FCO. Just trying to figure out what to focus on in the run-up.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sara101)
    Another lurker here!

I applied for the Houses of Parliament stream and have been invited to the FSAC on the 19th Jan (getting close!)

I know this question has been asked numerous times but is it true that there little scope to prepare for the exercises other than the interview?

Also, has anybody made it to the final selection board in a previous year? What was it like? - I know this is premature but I am really curious.

Thanks!
    I didnt feel that there was anything I could have really done to prepare for the FSAC tasks other than reading the FSAC booklet provided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poudlardaise)
    Hey there!

I have my FSAC in a couple of days, and I was wondering if anyone with experience of the assessment centres could tell me whether the interviews tend to focus more or less exclusively on you and your competencies, or whether there's likely to be discussion about the stream you've applied for - e.g. asking opinions about foreign policy if applying for the FCO. Just trying to figure out what to focus on in the run-up.

Thanks
    The interviewer (or at least mine) didnt know anything about my background or what stream I had applied for so I doubt you will get any complex questions regarding your stream. Having said that I was asked some very general civil service questions so its probably best to keep update on relevant news stories etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizman)
    The interviewer (or at least mine) didnt know anything about my background or what stream I had applied for so I doubt you will get any complex questions regarding your stream. Having said that I was asked some very general civil service questions so its probably best to keep update on relevant news stories etc
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ailss)
    Thanks! Where did you see this?
    I contacted the FS team through the application website.

ReputationRep:
    This has probably already been asked, so I'm sorry, but the fast stream are asking me to send them a copy of my degree certificate/transcript, however I haven't finished my degree yet. What do I do in this situation?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Unfortunately I only discovered this thread after I did my FSAC (on the 8th Dec) but I've been having a little browse since then. I've been amber banded and the wait is killing me! I was just wondering if anyone knows when the pass mark review actually is? "Early January" is a bit vague for my liking haha.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeisred)
    This has probably already been asked, so I'm sorry, but the fast stream are asking me to send them a copy of my degree certificate/transcript, however I haven't finished my degree yet. What do I do in this situation?

Thanks!
    Tell them what you just told us?

ReputationRep:
    Oh goodness. AC on the 9th. Getting way too close now.

What's the success rate of this, does anyone know, approximately?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankers1088)
    "

Looks like I was mistaken; received an email earlier today notifying me that I've been assigned to ONS :-) I should be hearing from them shortly. Hopefully you'll both get an email shortly.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robboadam31)
    Oh goodness. AC on the 9th. Getting way too close now.

What's the success rate of this, does anyone know, approximately?
    They haven't released a breakdown of how many get rejected at the different stages for a while--but in 2009 it looks like roughly 40% of FSAC attendants passed. (That's for the generalist scheme. The other schemes had more favourable success rates.)

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nal-tables.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I was mistaken; received an email earlier today notifying me that I've been assigned to ONS :-) I should be hearing from them shortly. Hopefully you'll both get an email shortly.
    Ooh I'm jealous! That was my 2nd preference, so I'm hoping this delay means I've got my first preference!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.