St George's
    5.57%
    Other
    25.77%
    I dont know :')
    4.12%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1966)
    Thank you yes he is eligible for foundation Southampton he has rang them they said as long as he satisfied the criteria doesn't matter his A levels are above BBC,He would like Leicester he has 42.5 which just about good enough as they give score for achieved Alevels ,based on last year and year before his score is enough but then again its depends on quality of applicants they get,Liverpool because he just meets their minimum cretria 15 points but website also says they may consider 12 points if you have achieved A levels of AAA.The reason he didn't apply to Southampton A100 because they have high UKCAT he only got 663.yes you are right foundation is quite competitive,He thinks if he gets that it will help him a lot ,He studied at school with very low GCSEs results,In A levels he worked very hard himself researching and using lots of practice,He was the only one to get A* in chemistry and Biology in his school and one other child got A grades in both these subject who got into medicine after first being refused by notttingham pre interview but invited in July for interview ,so some times you need a little bit of luck too.The school was in needs to improve.I wish all applicants good luck don't give up try again .
    This was a great read! You seem like a genuinely lovely parent! Hope all goes well for your son.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    This was a great read! You seem like a genuinely lovely parent! Hope all goes well for your son.
    Thank you very much,really appreciate it .good luck to everyone.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by manlike99)
    Liverpool require a score of 15 out of 18 points and if you get anything above then it doesn't matter - it is a matter of getting 15 points hence 6A*/As, he has achieved A levels so it's actually only 12 points for him
    https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/li...2017,entry.pdf

Just quoting their 2017 admissions document here, it says a minimum score of 15 is required (or 12 for AAA at A2) for consideration, but preference may be given to higher scoring candidates.

This was the same as the year I applied, basically you have to get 15 to be considered, but getting 15 does not guarantee and interview, especially if in the year of application a lot of applicants had much higher scores (they have to decide between people somehow, and this is often how they would go about it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/li...2017,entry.pdf

Just quoting their 2017 admissions document here, it says a minimum score of 15 is required (or 12 for AAA at A2) for consideration, but preference may be given to higher scoring candidates.

This was the same as the year I applied, basically you have to get 15 to be considered, but getting 15 does not guarantee and interview, especially if in the year of application a lot of applicants had much higher scores (they have to decide between people somehow, and this is often how they would go about it).
    Ah I see, fairs, admission tutor lied to me on the phone then
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by manlike99)
    Ah I see, fairs, admission tutor lied to me on the phone then
    It is a pain as its always in the finer print... often can be easily overlooked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CutieTootsie)
    #savage
    The truth hurts

ReputationRep:
    When would it be acceptable for a doctor to lie/withhold information?
    Struggling to think of situations for this 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaykaayy)
    If you had a patient that was being abused by parents or a spouse. For example, the general practice I did my work experience at faked appointments for people who were being abused by their partner. So the abusive partner would think his wife (this is just an example, domestic violence is inflicted on males I'm aware of that - just throwing a disclaimer) had an appointment with the doctor but she would actually be meeting a social worker who would help her arrange a way out. If the doctor was asked by the abusive partner if she (his wife) had an appointment with him/her he would risking the life of his patient by saying no. But generally speaking you can't withhold information about diagnoses etc. from the patient even if they are a child. This would be cruel in the long run as the child would not know what's happening which would perhaps increase the trauma of the whole experience.

ReputationRep:
    Let's say a 15 year old girl got an STI, she doesn't want her parents to know, but since they're her legal guardian, they have a right to know. The girl asks you, the Doctor, not to tell her parents.
    In that case, I think it would be acceptable to withhold information, because you're respecting her right for privacy.

Lots of other stuff with underage pregnancy and whatnot.

Also, if you notice a patient has a benign growth, you may not tell them if you think they would bring themselves to greater harm if they did know out of worry, than if they didn't, something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    Let's say a 15 year old girl got an STI, she doesn't want her parents to know, but since they're her legal guardian, they have a right to know. The girl asks you, the Doctor, not to tell her parents.
    In that case, I think it would be acceptable to withhold information, because you're respecting her right for privacy.

Lots of other stuff with underage pregnancy and whatnot.

Also, if you notice a patient has a benign growth, you may not tell them if you think they would bring themselves to greater harm if they did know out of worry, than if they didn't, something like that.
    Thanks! I was thinking that too but wasn't too sure as of to if the information could be withheld from the parents?
    Is it legal to do so? Since she's under 16 wouldn't the parents have to know? (The same for with pregnancys)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I was thinking that too but wasn't too sure as of to if the information could be withheld from the parents?
    Is it legal to do so? Since she's under 16 wouldn't the parents have to know? (The same for with pregnancys)
    I think it's sort of a grey area, but I remember from a practice MMI I did, it's generally accepted that it's an okay thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    Could anyone please give me some feedback on this bmat essay?
    Thanks! I'm struggling with this section :/

Q3. 2015 When treating an individual patient, a physician must also think of the wider society. Explain the reasoning behind this statement. Argue that a doctor should only consider the individual that he or she is treating at the time. With respect to medical treatment, to what extent can a patient’s interests differ from those of the wider population?

The statement argues that the physician’s decisions of the treatment shouldn’t only be based on the single patient but keeping in mind the society. This could be because a treatment given to an individual patient may have consequences on the wider society.

However, it’s the doctor’s duty to act in the patient’s best interest, ensuring that they receive the best treatment to eventually cure the disease, where possible. Furthermore, A physician needs to treat each case separately with the resources available. Ultimately, it’s the patient’s wish to decide if to receive the treatment or not, but the doctor must provide the patient with all the possible options; It could be only a drug or in the case of a patient suffering from cancer possibly surgery and/or therapies. Additionally, a physician must not cause any harm to a patient therefore a patient’s interest sometimes could differ from the society’s one. For example, in the case where a patient is not fit to receive a vaccine, the doctor can’t give it, although it may benefit the society as it could potentially stop the spreading the infection.

On the other hand, as the statement argues a physician should also think about the society. For instance, thinking about resource allocation a doctor needs to ensure that all the patients have access to all the possible resources. So it shouldn’t be the case that a great number of means are used to treat one patient leaving others without anything. Although doctors should always treat a patient individually acting in their best interest, sometimes they also need to think about everyone else as there is not only one patient.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's sort of a grey area, but I remember from a practice MMI I did, it's generally accepted that it's an okay thing to do.
    Yeah I think you're right gogregg and same thing if an underage girl wants contraception, her parents/authorities don't need to be told unless she's experiencing abuse etc, I learnt that from a patient training day so that might be another good example for you kaykaay!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Yeah I think you're right gogregg and same thing if an underage girl wants contraception, her parents/authorities don't need to be told unless she's experiencing abuse etc, I learnt that from a patient training day so that might be another good example for you kaykaay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought so
    Yeah, the abuse thing rings a bell now that you mention it, thanks!

Spoiler:
    Show

I feel like that came out very wrong...
    Positive intentions, though!

ReputationRep:
    I thought so
    Yeah, the abuse thing rings a bell now that you mention it, thanks!

Spoiler:
    Show

I feel like that came out very wrong...
    Positive intentions, though!

Haha, thank you guys!

ReputationRep:
    lol someone here reported my "#savage" post and it got removed - i just got a message for TSR about it.
    Didn't realise I said something offensive? looool really confused
    Oh dear 😂 it wasn't me although it probably looks like it as the quote was originally directed towards me 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Oh dear 😂 it wasn't me although it probably looks like it as the quote was originally directed towards me 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol no worries. obvs no one agrees with the OP. Though I love scotts, there is no proof they are miles ahead lol

ReputationRep:
    lol someone here reported my "#savage" post and it got removed - i just got a message for TSR about it.
    Didn't realise I said something offensive? looool really confused
    Wait, what?
    Personally, I found your comment dead funny :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the same thing. It actually turns out that if you're 13 or over with a premature pregnancy and you wish to have an abortion, you have the right to request your parents not to find out. In that case it would be obligatory to withhold information unless doing so affects a third party (which is highly unlikely in this case). Any pregnancy under the age of 13 (which does happen surprisingly) has to be forwarded to the parents regardless of the girl's wishes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmaduM)
    I was thinking the same thing. It actually turns out that if you're 13 or over with a premature pregnancy and you wish to have an abortion, you have the right to request your parents not to find out. In that case it would be obligatory to withhold information unless doing so affects a third party (which is highly unlikely in this case). Any pregnancy under the age of 13 (which does happen surprisingly) has to be forwarded to the parents regardless of the girl's wishes
    Yeah I should have clarified under 13 thanks 😘

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.