Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumStuff)
    I used V = u + at to work out the Velocity at t=3. Then used pythagoras to work out speed.

Does that sound okay?
    Mhm. I That's what my expanation is. That very equation. where u is the velocity at t=0 and at is the change in velocity/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Does it matter if you worked out M before d?
    nah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamessmith15)
    can someone explain to me how i got root 5 over 2 twice for 7a instead of 2.5i and 2.5j and how many method marks would i have got.
    Also i got 0.2 for the impulse question as forgot to change signs form 3.5 to -3.5. How many would i loose here, I'm thinking min 2 or max 3
    Here is the method, see where you think you went wrong:

F1 = - i + 2j,
    F2 = k(i + j) [Note it was in the direction of i + j, not equal to it]
    Resultant F = m(i + 3j) [Again direction of i + 3j]

Resultant F = F1 + F2
    = - i + 2j + k(i + j)
    = (k-1)i + (k+2)j

k-1 = m --- equation 1
    k+2 = 3m --- equation 2.
    equation 1 x 3 => 3k - 3 = 3m.
    3k - 3 = k + 2
    2k = 5
    k = 2.5

F2 = k(i + j) = 2.5(i + j) = 2.5i + 2.5j

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kapisz)
    can someone show q7 a working out?

and if u got d=1.6 and M=66 due to using wrong distance but working correct how many marks would i get?
    Yeah i'll do it on paper and send it

ReputationRep:
    Wow, for the first question I got 640i+640j, then crossed it out , for the moments one I got 180kg and 3.5 as the distance , For the pulley one I all of it, but I put the direction as a bearing of 045 degrees , The collisions one I found the acceleration, but must've substituted it back in wrong! All of the other questions I got right (I think), but just two quick questions:

1. How many marks would I get for the collisions if I found the acceleration correctly (1.225) but subbed in wrong
    2. Does anyone know what 53 - 55 marks would be as a grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txnilxnur)
    Your acceleration is wrong.. its
    (-0.4*g*1/8) divided by 0.4 which gave a=-1.225
    Thank god you got the same acceleration as me

ReputationRep:
    Alright, time to leave this thread haha! Best just to forget about it now and focus on the other exams; what happens will happen Good luck everyone, let's smash C3 and C4!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economistician)
    Anyone mind giving their opinion on a quick question...

For 7b.) With the vector of velocity (3i - 22j) and acceleration of (3i + 9j) i think it was.

I done it right and got 13, but then i stupidly crossed it out and found the magnitude of the velocity (√493) and magnitude of the acceleration (3√10). And so after 3 seconds of acceleration, i got √493 + 9√10 = 50.7 ms-1.

Do you think i will get 0 marks? I'm thinking yes...
    Also, does anyone know how many marks 7b was worth?

Any replies are appreciated
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    what was the answer to 5, i got mew = 0.93? but i think its wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    That's savage. I hate this type of stuff. I'd rather have an accurate answer than a rounded one.
    correction, you can only be penalised once for this throughout the whole paper so don't fret

note I was told this by a friend so might not be right :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economistician)
    Anyone?
    i also got that answer

ReputationRep:
    guys does anyone remember the details of question 6 and 7 so i can upload model answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buziel)
    Wow, for the first question I got 640i+640j, then crossed it out , for the moments one I got 180kg and 3.5 as the distance , For the pulley one I all of it, but I put the direction as a bearing of 045 degrees , The collisions one I found the acceleration, but must've substituted it back in wrong! All of the other questions I got right (I think), but just two quick questions:

1. How many marks would I get for the collisions if I found the acceleration correctly (1.225) but subbed in wrong
    2. Does anyone know what 53 - 55 marks would be as a grade?
    Aww sorry to hear about a few silly mistakes, I'd imagine 53-55 marks is high B territory if the grade boundaries are similar to previous years. From memory the impulse questions was 7 marks so getting the acceleration should give you 4 ish and perhaps if the correct method was used could end up getting 5 overall, sadly this is just speculation based on nothing but past mark schemes. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    if u got d=1.6 and M=66 due to using wrong distance but working correct how many marks would i get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDevil1997)
    Will I get the mark for saying the direction of the force on the pully is Southwest??
    Don't know if any one has responded to you, but I am not sure what they meant, because I agree with you but I just wrote towards the table...I am sure they will give us the mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    guys does anyone remember the details of question 6 and 7 so i can upload model answers?
    Yup, question six was the moments: mass of non uniform rod 30kg, two supports ST, AS = 0.5, TB = 2, whole length is 6m.

If mass of Mkg is placed at B, it is on the point of tipping about S
    If mass of Mkg is placed at A, it is on the point of tipping about T.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kapisz)
    can someone show q7 a working out?

and if u got d=1.6 and M=66 due to using wrong distance but working correct how many marks would i get?
    I put AS = d but I meant A to centre of mass = d

Here you go. This is how I did it.

ReputationRep:
    why do they put vectors at q1 scares the hell out of me

ReputationRep:
    Although you may get marks for expressing your answer for the direction of the force in Q7 as a bearing, the concept makes no sense.

The diagram concerns a vertical plane. The force is diagonally downwards. All compass directions including bearings are horizontal. So don't mock your friends because they didn't give a bearing, they are the sensible ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoeAlison97)
    correction, you can only be penalised once for this throughout the whole paper so don't fret

note I was told this by a friend so might not be right :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Your questions are marked separately, so noone sees the whole paper. It may be decided that the 3 or 2 s.f. rule is only applied on one particular question, or it may not, in which case you'll lose one per question.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.