Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trader07)
    I don´t know about that, but I took the test a few weeks ago and it was the hardest one
    Have you done Nomura?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospectre)
    So I went down the rabbit hole and found this thread, what's it about? (I get that it's about investment banking but are you guys applying for jobs, summer placements etc. or have I missed the mark?)
    Its about determining whether you're the right fit for oxford/cambridge by looking at your year 6 SAT's and GCSE grades

ReputationRep:
    I don´t know about that, but I took the test a few weeks ago and it was the hardest one
    I thought it was really easy the first 10/18 questions. But then it became harder and harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jker)
    Have you done Nomura?
    Yes it was also hard compared to the pretty easy online test from the other BBs

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the Barclays interview didn't work for me either, did any of you email them about it?

ReputationRep:
    Would you guys say that markets is a more competitive area than asset management when applying for a spring week? Or are they both similar in terms of competitiveness to get in. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJA98)
    Would you guys say that markets is a more competitive area than asset management when applying for a spring week? Or are they both similar in terms of competitiveness to get in. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But surely if everyone thought a particular division is easier and all switched to that division, then it's not going to be easier any more
    So it doesn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if submitting cover letters as .docx i.e. from using a mac is okay? Just thought about the fact that all my documents for all my applications have been through my mac..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BGUK19)
    Anyone know if submitting cover letters as .docx i.e. from using a mac is okay? Just thought about the fact that all my documents for all my applications have been through my mac..
    Maybe I´m missing something, but normally you submit it as .pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loolipoop)
    But surely if everyone thought a particular division is easier and all switched to that division, then it's not going to be easier any more
    So it doesn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope because technology/ops (mid/back office) are relatively much easier to get into than front office roles when applying as a graduate or even a summer internship and they have always been like that and will probably continue to.
    Having said that, I was unsure if the same trend applied to spring weeks because from what I have heard everyone is together regardless of their chosen dept. which only matters at the end of the week when you have an opportunity to get a summer fast track. (But you could just change your dept. during the week and so now I might as well apply for a less competitive dept. and then say I want to go onto markets) if any one knows please let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJA98)
    Nope because technology/ops (mid/back office) are relatively much easier to get into than front office roles when applying as a graduate or even a summer internship and they have always been like that and will probably continue to.
    Having said that, I was unsure if the same trend applied to spring weeks because from what I have heard everyone is together regardless of their chosen dept. which only matters at the end of the week when you have an opportunity to get a summer fast track. (But you could just change your dept. during the week and so now I might as well apply for a less competitive dept. and then say I want to go onto markets) if any one knows please let me know
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't think it works like that.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I´m missing something, but normally you submit it as .pdf
    Well it says you can submit it as a .doc, .txt, .pdf etc and i just submitted it as a word file, which is normally .doc on a windows pc but on a mac its changed for some reason to a .docx

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone here who's done the tests for the likes of Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse, completed all the questions
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BGUK19)
    Well it says you can submit it as a .doc, .txt, .pdf etc and i just submitted it as a word file, which is normally .doc on a windows pc but on a mac its changed for some reason to a .docx
    I also have a Mac and I changed it into a .pdf and would recommend you to do so as well..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What are you guys doing in the summer as a freshman?

ReputationRep:
    What are you guys doing in the summer as a freshman?
    Freshman? Thats a US term

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospectre)
    So I went down the rabbit hole and found this thread, what's it about? (I get that it's about investment banking but are you guys applying for jobs, summer placements etc. or have I missed the mark?)
    it's about spring week internship placements, where you spend a week at an investment bank and see the various areas, with a potential fast track to a summer internship.

i was in your exact same position whilst i was in year 13.. and now i'm in my final year at uni with an full-time grad offer in banking. if it interests you, i'd definately encourage further research and submitting an application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJA98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    they are both very competitive, the difference not having enough weight as a factor to consider when applying. apply to the one you're most interested, where you believe your skill set to be more suited.

ReputationRep:
    This is an odd question, but I sent off my Barclays application and didn't realize that I was going to be required to do an online interview within 5 days. I'm really busy still applying for others banks and practicing numerical testing.

Any idea what happens if you wait longer than five days, you reckon the link would expire and I can just ask for a new one, or is that overly risky?

ReputationRep:
    Also, can anyone confirm how long you get after applying to complete online testing for the following banks:

Credit Suisse
    BAML
    UBS
    CitiBank

I've finished my applications but don't want to send them off yet as I'm worried they'll only give me 48 hours to practise for the tests.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.