Turn on thread page Beta

The Torchwood Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It was not as spectacular as I thought it would be.
    Second episode please!
    Perhaps it will be as good as the first series then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    With able to die (except the one exception), I found it all very undangerous.
    Any damage doesn't seem to heal, either, so you're permanently stuck in any state you find yourself in. The danger is living through being irreparably damaged. I'm sure no one wants to live as someone who has been burnt and exploded, being in constant pain but being unable to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Gwen really can't act. And when Torchwood was a British show it was enjoyable despite the poor acting. Now the American actors are really showing how poor British actors actually are.
    Yeah, quite embarrassing really.

ReputationRep:
    Torchwood isnt the same with just Jack and Gwen. And Jack isnt Jack if he can die
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ten teasers about "Rendition" (Episode 2)
    1. Oswald becomes an internet sensation with his own viral video.

2. "All it does is go bleep!"

3. Oprah Winfrey shows an interest in creepy ol' Oswald.

4. Esther's curiosity lands her in a lot of trouble.

5. "It's either you or the big gay steward."

6. Dr. Juarez has a few neat ideas regarding changes to medical procedure.

7. Lauren Ambrose makes her debut as PR guru Jilly Kitzinger, and she's absolutely brilliant.

8. "Be careful with his coat!"

9. By episode's end, one character is looking at things completely back to front.

10. "This is no miracle."

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure this has already been done but can I express my absolute DISGUST at the Americanisation of Torchwood.

Like seriously. What the hell? I know they've selling it to the US market now but Doctor Who have gone that way and it didn't become a totally US TV show.

Spoiler:
    Show
    So Torchwood have become the US authorities ***** basically, and while the BBC have tried to paint those authorities as idiots there were just constant little digs at the English the whole way through. We have to put up with a whole cast of floundering US-ers who are ultimately saved by Torchwood who have to sit through a bunch of snide sideways remarks about how frustrating the US finds working with the UK.

Ok I know I didn't express my problems particularly well there but I just think I'm offended at how obviously Torchwood has sold out to the US market.

ReputationRep:
    Gwen makes me hard in the pants region.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faustus Fotherby)
    I'm sure this has already been done but can I express my absolute DISGUST at the Americanisation of Torchwood.

Like seriously. What the hell? I know they've selling it to the US market now but Doctor Who have gone that way and it didn't become a totally US TV show.

Spoiler:
    Show
    So Torchwood have become the US authorities ***** basically, and while the BBC have tried to paint those authorities as idiots there were just constant little digs at the English the whole way through. We have to put up with a whole cast of floundering US-ers who are ultimately saved by Torchwood who have to sit through a bunch of snide sideways remarks about how frustrating the US finds working with the UK.

Ok I know I didn't express my problems particularly well there but I just think I'm offended at how obviously Torchwood has sold out to the US market.
    I think it's more deliberate than you think - the jokes and remarks were obviously on purpose, and I think were partly taking the mickey out of how Americans don't know much about Britain ("we have to pay for this bridge" etc) rather than jokes at Britain's expense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amwazicles)
    I think it's more deliberate than you think - the jokes and remarks were obviously on purpose, and I think were partly taking the mickey out of how Americans don't know much about Britain ("we have to pay for this bridge" etc) rather than jokes at Britain's expense.
    I agree but the jokes clearly work both ways and that's what annoys me. The US are made to look like dicks but also the CIA guy is literally just shoving the Torchwood group around as he pleases and it just looks like such a blatant pandering to the US market to know that even if they are being made to look like immature kids that make immature comments at last they're the ones in charge regardless.

Bleugh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faustus Fotherby)
    I agree but the jokes clearly work both ways and that's what annoys me. The US are made to look like dicks but also the CIA guy is literally just shoving the Torchwood group around as he pleases and it just looks like such a blatant pandering to the US market to know that even if they are being made to look like immature kids that make immature comments at last they're the ones in charge regardless.

Bleugh!
    Hmm. I see what you're saying, but in my opinion, I doubt Russell T Davies would have let that happen to Torchwood. Plus, we haven't seen the rest of the series yet, so don't know how it's going to turn out.

ReputationRep:
    Bleeeurgh that could have been any ****ty US sci-fi drama. Massively disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemo14)
    Bleeeurgh that could have been any ****ty US sci-fi drama. Massively disappointing.
    Exactly my point. So annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, it needs more Jack, Gwen and Rhys. Couldn't give two ****s about the Americans atm.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Tbh, it needs more Jack, Gwen and Rhys. Couldn't give two ****s about the Americans atm.
    I agree about needing more of the old, proper Torchwood team, didn't see enough of them in the first episode. Though the Americans do have potential :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    I agree about needing more of the old, proper Torchwood team, didn't see enough of them in the first episode. Though the Americans do have potential :beard:
    They do have potential, but they took the spotlight. It's as if Torchwood are guest stars.

ReputationRep:
    Not as good as Children of Earth. There was no drama, no suspense throughout the whole thing. Even with the realisation that nobody could die, there just wasn't any "danger" or fear...

Plus points: Rex's little Wales/Bridge rant was hilarious! :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit biased towards Rex because I was a Mekhi Phifer fangirl back in the ER days, however I do agree that it's over Americanised. The Severn Bridge line was a nice hark back to when Gwen had to encounter it going the other way.

I'd have liked to have known where in Wales Gwen and Rhys were hiding out. It just said Wales, UK which I think were it not an American production they would have detailed more, like saying it was in Tenby or Rhossili, Wales. Small and nitpicky but I can't help but wonder.

It does seem as though Torchwood have been hired by the CIA, rather than this being a show about the Torchwood per se? - possible potential for a pure American spin-off? Rex and co. go rogue and set up Torchwood 5 somewhere in the USA?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It certainly will take getting used to without the old team I didn't like the way that Jack and Gwen were forced into going over to America... It would have been better if they had offered to help. I mean, it would have been more understandable if the miracle had just been confined to America, but they could have helped from this country too! I was also surprised at how long it took in the ep for Jack to make his first appearance. I think it will certainly be interesting to see how it works with Jack now being mortal. Also, did anyone else think their maths was a bit off for the population? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    It certainly will take getting used to without the old team I didn't like the way that Jack and Gwen were forced into going over to America... It would have been better if they had offered to help. I mean, it would have been more understandable if the miracle had just been confined to America, but they could have helped from this country too! I was also surprised at how long it took in the ep for Jack to make his first appearance. I think it will certainly be interesting to see how it works with Jack now being mortal. Also, did anyone else think their maths was a bit off for the population? :p:
    their maths really confused me it didn't make any sense.

edited because I but there instead of their and people on this website are picky!

ReputationRep:
    There was not enough drama, or suspense in it; it doesn't make me think 'I need to watch the second episode, quick!' It just makes me think 'meh. Maybe some more Jack next week would be nice.' Its totally americanised and I dont think it should be, since its still being called 'orginal British drama'. It clearly isn't, there's just a few British actors/actresses in it who were affiliated with the original series and therefore need to continue their roles. I honestly think that Torchwood is nearing it's mortal BBC end.

I also think the plot is transparent, and we can all guess the moral choices these people are going to have to make in the last episode. Jack being mortal makes him not Jack at all, he's the one the others rely on that will survive anything. (However, we all know he's the Face of Bo, so I guess he'll be ok in the end.)
    Two things I enjoyed about this episode:
    1. Rex and his rant about the bridge
    2. Rhys and his Captain Jack B******s comment at the end.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.