Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jingyao)
    I had initially intended to put Nottingham in my choices as well; however, after reading about the crime rates there, I am somewhat reluctant in choosing it.
    haha, well it is true that Nottingham has the biggest Hooters bar joint in UK, with the largest number of strip clubs as well. but if im not wrong, the campus isnt very near the .. less than respectable.. zone, so dont miss out on notts man. it has a very good law school. i know a classmate of mine, who quit sheffield law after 1 year cause she didnt like the place, and she transferred to notts for her 2nd year.

hmm exeter.. why not Birmingham law?

Furthermore, I am not confident of my LNAT
    >3.88 GPA, i think you will be more than capable of handling a few normal MCQ comprehensions and an essay. dont worry so much about it. LNAT builds up all these tension/hype among us for nothing, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    haha, well it is true that Nottingham has the biggest Hooters bar joint in UK, with the largest number of strip clubs as well. but if im not wrong, the campus isnt very near the .. less than respectable.. zone, so dont miss out on notts man. it has a very good law school. i know a classmate of mine, who quit sheffield law after 1 year cause she didnt like the place, and she transferred to notts for her 2nd year.

hmm exeter.. why not Birmingham law?

i think cuz he wants a safety uni and exeter is more of a safety uni than birmingham [though birmingham isnt exactly taht hard to get into also].

>3.88 GPA, i think you will be more than capable of handling a few normal MCQ comprehensions and an essay. dont worry so much about it. LNAT builds up all these tension/hype among us for nothing, seriously.
    agree. Lnat is overrated..in my last attempt i barely did anything and scored a 21. as long as u dont screw up majorly u will be alright

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I would like to ask what do u guys think of NUS medicine as compared to Oxbridge medicine (in terms of competitiveness, quality, how highly regarded both are, etc etc)?

I was also wondering if there is any global ranking of medical schools, cos I can't seem to find the ranking of NUS medicine globally?

Thank you! Feel free to give yr opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terence)
    Hi everyone, I would like to ask what do u guys think of NUS medicine as compared to Oxbridge medicine (in terms of competitiveness, quality, how highly regarded both are, etc etc)?

I was also wondering if there is any global ranking of medical schools, cos I can't seem to find the ranking of NUS medicine globally?

Go for any of Edinburgh, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial. These are probably the best in the UK.

I don't have a very good view of NUS YLLSOM personally.

ReputationRep:
    I appear to be disrupting the flow of this thread :rolleyes:
    Anyway...I miss Kopitiam While i was an exchange student there lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, thanks so much for your help. I will definitely look at my choices and make some adjustments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terence)

in medicine it doesnt really matter where u come from, as long as its recognised. when ur a doctor, its all about ur competency and PR skills. somemore if u want to work in sg, majority of doctors are from nus. so its good to study there for networking purposes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, thanks so much for your help. I will definitely look at my choices and make some adjustments.
    Hey if need any help, feel free to ask, whether it's through msn or tsr. The whole ucas process can be pretty daunting, at least for me.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Just wanted to check....what are the odds of a Singaporean getting into LSE law? I've heard that not many get in. Is that true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicles)
    Hey guys. Just wanted to check....what are the odds of a Singaporean getting into LSE law? I've heard that not many get in. Is that true?
    from what i heard, it is quite particular in its taste of students it admits. they like will look at your GCSEs (O-levels) and others. but they do take in loads of international students compared to other schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    from what i heard, it is quite particular in its taste of students it admits. they like will look at your GCSEs (O-levels) and others. but they do take in loads of international students compared to other schools.
    O.O What about for IP students. And have you any idea what this "taste of students" is?

The reason I'm wondering is because LSE (for law) does not interview and does not accept LNATs. So what exactly does it go on. Especially since IP students do not have O levels and each school's internal exams are quite different?

ReputationRep:
    O.O What about for IP students. And have you any idea what this "taste of students" is?

The reason I'm wondering is because LSE (for law) does not interview and does not accept LNATs. So what exactly does it go on. Especially since IP students do not have O levels and each school's internal exams are quite different?
    isnt there a IP cert under qualifications in ucas? thats what my brother's school informed them regarding ucas apps from what i know. hes from ri-rj, the raffles programme. maybe i heard from him wrongly..

honestly i dont know what is the 'it' thing LSE is looking for as well. haha, if i knew, i probably would have gotten in as well! haha, my dream school and, it was the only one that rejected me. pffft.

from what i heard, the first round of sieving out will be done with GCSE results (O levels), thus the importance. but for IP students like us, i really have no idea what standards they go by. the three people i know who got into LSE Law, one took O levels and finished off with IB at my school, the other two went to UK to complete their a-levels at winchester and eton.

you should probably try posting your question at the LSE forums if you havent done so. they will probably be of much more help..

ReputationRep:
    quite a gd chance, as long as u have 3 As. rmb, uk unis take in loads of international students because we bring in loads of money to their coffers, and because we have no quotas as we are not subsidised by public money (unlike the local students who pay 1/3 of our fees). but not guaranteed cuz every 3A student will apply to LSE. so ur PS is what differentiates u. sth lse admission is also random. because too many well qualified applicants and too little differentiating factor, what separates you from another may be smething that you write in your PS that captivates taht particular tutor who's assessing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    isnt there a IP cert under qualifications in ucas? thats what my brother's school informed them regarding ucas apps from what i know. hes from ri-rj, the raffles programme. maybe i heard from him wrongly..

honestly i dont know what is the 'it' thing LSE is looking for as well. haha, if i knew, i probably would have gotten in as well! haha, my dream school and, it was the only one that rejected me. pffft.

from what i heard, the first round of sieving out will be done with GCSE results (O levels), thus the importance. but for IP students like us, i really have no idea what standards they go by. the three people i know who got into LSE Law, one took O levels and finished off with IB at my school, the other two went to UK to complete their a-levels at winchester and eton.

you should probably try posting your question at the LSE forums if you havent done so. they will probably be of much more help..
    erm theres a specific IP qualification you can choose under UCAS. our wonderful MOE constantly updates and informs the UK unis of the changes in our educaito nsystem, so rest assured that teh uk peeps are very well acquainted with the varied systems (IB,IP, A levels, diploma etc) and you wont have to worry about being disadvantaged at all.

o levels emphasis is more for local students. for intenrational, the selection process is less stringent but nevertheless still random in that a subjectively good ps will differentiate u.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yonanz)
    erm theres a specific IP qualification you can choose under UCAS.
    ahh thanks for the clarification. dont know whether they had it for my batch though. i didnt bother to check whether IP cert was under any sort of qualification and well, i just provided them with my IB results and that was that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    I don't know about the average standard being better than Cambridge.. but the course is definitely good.
    Im voting for NUS too. OxCam are not the best places for medicine im afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorianhwang)
    But comparatively, Oxbridge have global recognition and are deemed to be the elites compared to NUS. That's just according to global rankings and the general impression of the majority i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorianhwang)
    oxbridge may not be the best places for med, but surely its better than NUS?

i think NUS med's reputation and recognition is overhyped because well, it IS the only med school in Singapore, thus the best grades from singapore JC cohort will make it in and make it look good.

ReputationRep:
    Who else applying for medicine 2011?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.

I've received an unconditional offer from KCL Law and will be starting my academic year in 2011 Anyone else here also doing the same course in the same year?

Also, for you UK Law school applicants, has anyone got an offer from SMU Law but subsequently rejected it to go to the UK? Personally, I'm still at a juncture where I can't fully decide whether to stay in Singapore for SMU or head to London for King's.

Some advise from anyone who can spare any, will be appreciated. Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.