GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread Watch

Fyt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The question after also said that alpha rays cannot be detected at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
iodqwm
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nelizabeth_)
which question was this for? I can't remember any questions about that
wasn't it 135 for the top and 52/42 for the bottom ( i forgot which one)
Hixiy24
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fyt)
The question after also said that alpha rays cannot be detected at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's exactly what I thought. They actually told us it wasn't Alpha
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by nelizabeth_)
which question was this for? I can't remember any questions about that
It was the one underneath the E = mc2 question - it gave you a nuclear equation

(Original post by LouiseDB42)
I said A would detect beta and gamma because they can both penetrate the card or paper, and B would detect gamma since beta can't penetrate foil...we seem to disagree, oh no!? Anyone else?
I said that Gamma is stopped by lead and Beta is stopped by aluminium and lead, so Section A and Section B for beta and Section A for gamma too - because they can pass through the others, but if it can't pass through something and is blocked, you can detect the radiation from that. :confused:

I used that for the second part too with Alpha, since alpha can't penetrate paper/card.
iodqwm
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Where do you find unofficial mark schemes for all these triple science exams?
Fyt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Section a (card) can detect both beta and gamma but not alpha as alpha is stopped by thin paper. Section b (aluminium) can be used to detect only gamma as the aluminium blocks the beta but not the gamma. The thing that tha had to be kept in mind is that the detecting material was behind the different sections so the radiation first needed to pass the sections. This is why the next question said that alpha rays can't be detected. It is because all three materials stop the alpha particles so they are never able to reach the detecting material behind the 3 sections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fyt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hope that helps cus I'm pretty sure that it is right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Swag>education
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I messed up on the p4 section I lost like 6 marks fgs how did you work out the momentum I was so confused and I just talked about everything I could for Amir ad his stupid jump except gpe didnt see how that made him jump further it's just stored kinetic energy isn't it
Swag>education
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Shoutout to my homie krollo for helping me this morning ily
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by iodqwm)
wasn't it 135 for the top and 52/42 for the bottom ( i forgot which one)
I thought it was 132 for top and 40 for bottom? I can't remember if they were my answers to be honest, but I think 40 was one of them and the other ended in a 2?
Amyjonesx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Swag>education)
I messed up on the p4 section I lost like 6 marks fgs how did you work out the momentum I was so confused and I just talked about everything I could for Amir ad his stupid jump except gpe didnt see how that made him jump further it's just stored kinetic energy isn't it
I got 0.4 for the momentum one but i think its wrong
olmyster911
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sulfur)
I thought it was 132 for top and 40 for bottom? I can't remember if they were my answers to be honest, but I think 40 was one of them and the other ended in a 2?
I put 135 over 40

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pandorax
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Guys what did you say for the first two six markers?

I said something about momentum, gravity and chemical energy or something for the first one :s

Then for the second one I said that the wires were smaller so needed less energy/energy more powerful, uh and the ion particles in wires collided with the wires beforehand creating more energy for the filament lamp? DX I kinda guessed those two
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Swag>education)
I think the change in momentum question was 0.4kg?
(0.2x6)-(0.2x4) or simple (0.2x2) = 0.4kg

(Original post by Fyt)
Section a (card) can detect both beta and gamma but not alpha as alpha is stopped by thin paper. Section b (aluminium) can be used to detect only gamma as the aluminium blocks the beta but not the gamma. The thing that tha had to be kept in mind is that the detecting material was behind the different sections so the radiation first needed to pass the sections. This is why the next question said that alpha rays can't be detected. It is because all three materials stop the alpha particles so they are never able to reach the detecting material behind the 3 sections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So saying:

Beta - Section A and B
Gamma - Section A only would be 1/2 do you think?
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by olmyster911)
I put 135 over 40

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I put 132 because the neutron had a 3 in front of it so maybe I did 135-3 = 132. I'm pretty sure 135 will be right then.
ColeNate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How do you guys write so much for each question? I find that there is NEVER enough space, especially on 6 markers.
Krollo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surely the change in momentum was 2 kgm/s? As it is velocity you have to take into account the reversal of direction, don't you? I may be wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by ColeNate)
How do you guys write so much for each question? I find that there is NEVER enough space, especially on 6 markers.
I just wrote over the lines for P4, on the final line for P5 and a couple of lines over/extra paper for P6
ColeNate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sulfur)
I just wrote over the lines for P4, on the final line for P5 and a couple of lines over/extra paper for P6
Ah, fair enough. A good strategy would be to ask for 1 extra sheet of paper before the exam starts as the 6 mark lines don't really accommodate QWC and science.
JazzyT17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did anyone else write a essay on the radioactive waste? Lol I wrote about 2 sides for that but I'm bit worried now as it was only a 6 marker so I shouldn't have wrote that much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (753)
80.36%
Leave (184)
19.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise