Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashazd)
    Hey there, I just met my offer for Brasenose Maths and if anyone has any questions about the interview process or anything at all then please feel free to send me a message!
    I sent you a visitor message a couple of weeks back; if you could, can you get back to me on that please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    I sent you a visitor message a couple of weeks back; if you could, can you get back to me on that please?
    what's a 'visitors message' hahaha? I haven't seen anything and can't figure out where to look for it! But if you can help me figure out I'd be happy to help haha
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    Would be nice to see Classics (1A)...

The distributions are all pretty similar. Many very strong GCSE profiles but some have lower numbers of A*s than you probably expected - this reflects the impact of very good admissions test performances, the consideration given to contextual information, or a combination of both.

Anyway, for Classics (applied to Brasenose, interviewed any college, with a GCSE profile of at least one GCSE);

10A* 10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 11A* 11A* 11A*-1A 12A* 12A* 12A*-1A 1A*-12A 1A*-3A-2B-1C-1E 1A*-5A-2B-1C 2A*-1A-5B 2A*-2A-4B-1C 2A*-2A-6B-1C 3A*-3A 3A*-7A 4A*-6A-1B 4A*-7A 5A*-3A-3B 5A*-4A 5A*-5A-1B 5A*-7A-1B 6A*-3A-1B 6A*-4A 6A*-4A 6A*-5A 6A*-6A 7A*-2A-1B 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 8A*-1A-1B 8A*-5A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-2A 9A*-2A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivoryfall)
    BrasenoseAdm looking at all the requests for GCSE profiles, it might be quicker for you to just put out each every subject since it seems like everyone is going to ask for their own subject anyway! :,) x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashazd)
    Hey there, I just met my offer for Brasenose Maths and if anyone has any questions about the interview process or anything at all then please feel free to send me a message!
    Congratulations on meeting your offer! See you in a few weeks' time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Congratulations on meeting your offer! See you in a few weeks' time.
    I look forward to it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecconomist)
    It's not that I significantly prefer Econ... I worded that a bit wrong I think. I have read 'Images of Organisation' and one of my father's old management books which concerns the historical evolution of business strategy and I did find it interesting and found it might complement my interest in micro too.

However, being realistic, with a 7% acceptance rate onto the course at Oxford, I don't want to compromise my chances of LSE, UCL etc. which are also very competitive (and it would be a shame because yes I do want to convey my interest in management).

My UMS for Cambridge would be okay for an autopool (>93%) but I performed relatively poorly in my Maths modules and being a highly quantitative course, I thought that a) this would be detrimental to my chances of an offer and b) maybe such a course isn't for me.

Do Oxford put more weight on grades and the TSA for shortlisting though?
    Why not apply to LSE Management?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A12R34)
    Why not apply to LSE Management?
    No. I still want some quantitative element, I am happy with my choices thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I would love to do biological sciences and I was just wondering if I'm being realistic with these grades (sorry I know there are so many of these but I don't have anyone else to turn to for advice)
    Biology A
    Chemistry B
    Geography A
    Mathematics B

GCSE were 4A* 5A
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    The distributions are all pretty similar. Many very strong GCSE profiles but some have lower numbers of A*s than you probably expected - this reflects the impact of very good admissions test performances, the consideration given to contextual information, or a combination of both.

Anyway, for Classics (applied to Brasenose, interviewed any college, with a GCSE profile of at least one GCSE);

10A* 10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 11A* 11A* 11A*-1A 12A* 12A* 12A*-1A 1A*-12A 1A*-3A-2B-1C-1E 1A*-5A-2B-1C 2A*-1A-5B 2A*-2A-4B-1C 2A*-2A-6B-1C 3A*-3A 3A*-7A 4A*-6A-1B 4A*-7A 5A*-3A-3B 5A*-4A 5A*-5A-1B 5A*-7A-1B 6A*-3A-1B 6A*-4A 6A*-4A 6A*-5A 6A*-6A 7A*-2A-1B 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 8A*-1A-1B 8A*-5A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-2A 9A*-2A
    With these GCSE profiles, are AQA level 1/2 certificates and iGCSEs counted as part of these grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentSG)
    Hey guys I would love to do biological sciences and I was just wondering if I'm being realistic with these grades (sorry I know there are so many of these but I don't have anyone else to turn to for advice)
    Biology A
    Chemistry B
    Geography A
    Mathematics B

GCSE were 4A* 5A
    Thank you
    You'd have to get A*AA at A level to get into Oxford Biology. If you think you can do that, then apply and see what happens If you think that will be hard, other universities would probably be better suited to you.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    When i got my CIE AS results i achieved A's in english language and AICT (i'm the only one who got a grades in these subjects from my school) and B's in math and chemistry
    The B in math is depressing because I really love math and used to think that if there's a subject I would get an A in, it would definitely be math and I missed the A grade by 2 marks. This B in math is not because i didn't work hard enough or practised enough past papers but because i tend to make lots of silly mistakes during the exam, which brings me to my next point.
    I have to achieve at least A*AA in order to get into oxford , i know about TSA for psychology and all but for now i wanna know which sub to drop for a2
    I emailed oxford asking for consequences if i drop chem and they said that admission tutors would prefer it if i have an A/A* in a science/math subject
    Now the obvious choice would be to drop chemistry but i'm afraid i won't be able to achieve an A in math due to my silliest mistakes - also, everyone is discouraging me from doing four a2s as i am also doing an internship and eng a2 on my own (not offered at my school)
    any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by googolplexity)
    With these GCSE profiles, are AQA level 1/2 certificates and iGCSEs counted as part of these grades?
    We think iGCSEs are counted. AQA 1/2s are listed separately and are not included in the totals.

ReputationRep:
    We think iGCSEs are counted. AQA 1/2s are listed separately and are not included in the totals.
    Okay thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, only just started thinking about Oxford (previously thinking about Cambridge but average UMS was just under the cut off point at 84.3% when it needs to be 85% ) I got AAAAC (A's in maths Fmaths physics and chemistry C in history which I hope to have remarked as the C was one mark off a B) at GCSE I got 7 A* 5 A's and one B . I am currently thinking about either maths or computer science is Oxford realisticly possible? Is there anyone who got an interview or an offer tell me about what they look for in these courses and what they did as far as extra reading etc ? Any help would be appreciated thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 6A*s, 5A, Distinction(forced to do OCR ICT)
    A-Levels: A - History, A - Fine Art, B - Law (got 90% in every mock/test since November x), getting remarked..), D - Chemistry (lol, was predicted an A, and got 1 mark off C. Getting remark). I will do the EPQ. :afraid::nopity:
    Course: LAWWWWWWWWWWW.
    College: Lincoln or Corpus Christi. :confused:

But to be honest, it doesn't matter if Oxford does not accept me, since I've done the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School, and so I can go there. :cool:

Good luck, people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecconomist)
    No. I still want some quantitative element, I am happy with my choices thank you.
    LSE Management does contain quantitative elements, second and third year you can pick loads of quantitative modules if you wanted as well.

Also means you can talk about both Economics and Management in your PS; this is what I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A12R34)
    LSE Management does contain quantitative elements, second and third year you can pick loads of quantitative modules if you wanted as well.

Also means you can talk about both Economics and Management in your PS; this is what I did.
    I have seriously considered it before but I think it is too risky to do pure management, effectively a subject I've never studied before but only read about and I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. Nethertheless people do it, really enjoy it and a management degree from LSE must open so many doors!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olax98)
    GCSE grades: 6A*s, 5A, Distinction(forced to do OCR ICT)
    A-Levels: A - History, A - Fine Art, B - Law (got 90% in every mock/test since November x), getting remarked..), D - Chemistry (lol, was predicted an A, and got 1 mark off C. Getting remark). I will do the EPQ. :afraid::nopity:
    Course: LAWWWWWWWWWWW.
    College: Lincoln or Corpus Christi. :confused:

But to be honest, it doesn't matter if Oxford does not accept me, since I've done the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School, and so I can go there. :cool:

Good luck, people!
    Are you saying Durham and Bristol will offer you a place of your choice because you have done their summer schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathscot)
    Hi, only just started thinking about Oxford (previously thinking about Cambridge but average UMS was just under the cut off point at 84.3% when it needs to be 85% ) I got AAAAC (A's in maths Fmaths physics and chemistry C in history which I hope to have remarked as the C was one mark off a B) at GCSE I got 7 A* 5 A's and one B . I am currently thinking about either maths or computer science is Oxford realisticly possible? Is there anyone who got an interview or an offer tell me about what they look for in these courses and what they did as far as extra reading etc ? Any help would be appreciated thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm glad to hear you're thinking about applying to us.

There's lots of information on our admissions page <http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/>. (And Maths have a similar page.) Feel free to come back with more specific questions.

Your grades are fairly typical of successful candidates. But the most important things are the MAT and interviews.

Gavin

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.