Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TritonSails)
    They haven't released a breakdown of how many get rejected at the different stages for a while--but in 2009 it looks like roughly 40% of FSAC attendants passed. (That's for the generalist scheme. The other schemes had more favourable success rates.)

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nal-tables.pdf

God. I'm going for FCO so chances are that'll be even less favourable tbh.

Hopefully I either pass the D&T one, or they feel sorry for me and bung me anywhere they have space haha.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robboadam31)
    God. I'm going for FCO so chances are that'll be even less favourable tbh.

Hopefully I either pass the D&T one, or they feel sorry for me and bung me anywhere they have space haha.
    Your chances of getting at least a place in central departments are the same as all the other GFS people though so it's not too bad. 40% is better than I had expected really! Though I don't know if that has changed since '09... Mine's on the 12th so I'm also feeling the heat now.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.

I have my Fast Stream Assessment Centre coming up and I have a question relating to the Commercial Fast Stream placements that I hope someone on here might be able to assist with considering some of you lucky offer holders are already choosing location preferences.

The locations listed for the Commercial Fast Stream are London, Liverpool, Newport, Norwich and Leeds. Now, I would love to stay in London, specifically because I've lived here my whole life and this is where all my closest family and friends are.

Now I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but if I managed to get an offer, how much are our preferences taken into account when we are located?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyNoGod)
    Looks like I was mistaken; received an email earlier today notifying me that I've been assigned to ONS :-) I should be hearing from them shortly. Hopefully you'll both get an email shortly.
    I take it all your checks/disclosure etc have been approved then? How long after this was approved did you get the email ??

ReputationRep:
    Evening all,

I'll be at the FSAC tomorrow! I'm currently sat in what can only be described as a prison cell in a hotel in Victoria at the moment (I should have certainly checked TripAdvisor beforehand...)

Anybody else be there tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ailss)
    I take it all your checks/disclosure etc have been approved then? How long after this was approved did you get the email ??
    I noticed that the last of the checks were completed today (barring uni certificate as I'm in my final year), so maybe that's related? Not sure.

ReputationRep:
    I noticed that the last of the checks were completed today (barring uni certificate as I'm in my final year), so maybe that's related? Not sure.
    I don't think it is related at all. All of my security checks were completed on 22nd December and I've still not heard anything from a department. More waiting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nori85)
    Hey all.

I have my Fast Stream Assessment Centre coming up and I have a question relating to the Commercial Fast Stream placements that I hope someone on here might be able to assist with considering some of you lucky offer holders are already choosing location preferences.

The locations listed for the Commercial Fast Stream are London, Liverpool, Newport, Norwich and Leeds. Now, I would love to stay in London, specifically because I've lived here my whole life and this is where all my closest family and friends are.

Now I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but if I managed to get an offer, how much are our preferences taken into account when we are located?
    I'm not sure how it works in the Commercial Fast Stream. I have been accepted for the Social Research stream and we had to put our top 2 location preferences when we applied.
    From reading this thread since the start I get the impression there is not much flexibility in what you are offered, unless you have a real reason not to relocate (e.g. childcare or dependents).

ReputationRep:
    Hi All, do we have to do anymore of the online tests on the day of the FSAC? I had to practise my maths a lot before taking them the first time so was wondering whether to pick it up again before the big day? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plum876)
    Hi All, do we have to do anymore of the online tests on the day of the FSAC? I had to practise my maths a lot before taking them the first time so was wondering whether to pick it up again before the big day? Thanks
    Not again, no. What a relief aye! But math ability might be assessed in a more practical manner in other tasks.

best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saada-Doro)
    Not again, no. What a relief aye! But math ability might be assessed in a more practical manner in other tasks.

best of luck!
    Thanks so much! You too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankers1088)
    I'm not sure how it works in the Commercial Fast Stream. I have been accepted for the Social Research stream and we had to put our top 2 location preferences when we applied.
    From reading this thread since the start I get the impression there is not much flexibility in what you are offered, unless you have a real reason not to relocate (e.g. childcare or dependents).
    Correct. The main factor taken into account is caring responsibilities for children, or family members with disabilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizman)
    I didnt feel that there was anything I could have really done to prepare for the FSAC tasks other than reading the FSAC booklet provided.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone receive their detailed FSAC feedback yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, could somebody please advise re: the nature of the 'presentation' for the leadership exercise? I realise there's a 10 minute or so presentation, followed by questions from your assessor. Is the presentation actually done formally standing up? Or do you just sit down opposite them, as I suppose you would when normally explaining the nature of some project to a single member of staff. For some reason whether I'm standing up or sitting down face-to-face makes a substantial difference to me Same question I suppose for the second half where you're taking questions, in case that's different.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatristicFields)
    Hello, could somebody please advise re: the nature of the 'presentation' for the leadership exercise? I realise there's a 10 minute or so presentation, followed by questions from your assessor. Is the presentation actually done formally standing up? Or do you just sit down opposite them, as I suppose you would when normally explaining the nature of some project to a single member of staff. For some reason whether I'm standing up or sitting down face-to-face makes a substantial difference to me Same question I suppose for the second half where you're taking questions, in case that's different.

Thanks!
    I did mine sitting down, treating it like a face-to-face meeting. Pretty sure everyone I've spoken to treated it in the same way, where you're briefing your line manager on your progress to date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatristicFields)

Thanks!
    Yeah it's seated, it's effectively just a chat but you are the one briefing the other person so you take control of that ten minutes and run it how you like. They are assessing how well you organise the information you're presenting as well as the content, but it's not a formal presentation.

ReputationRep:
    I did mine sitting down, treating it like a face-to-face meeting. Pretty sure everyone I've spoken to treated it in the same way, where you're briefing your line manager on your progress to date.
    Please can you confirm the total duration of the leadership exercise. Do we get 30 minutes for reading and preparing, 10 minutes for the actual presentation and then another 20 minutes for answers/questions? or only 30 minutes for the complete activity?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone receive their detailed FSAC feedback yet?
    not yet, I imagine we would get those by the beginning of next week because they said early January and there isnt much of that left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hq1)
    Please can you confirm the total duration of the leadership exercise. Do we get 30 minutes for reading and preparing, 10 minutes for the actual presentation and then another 20 minutes for answers/questions? or only 30 minutes for the complete activity?
    You have 30 minutes in a seperate room to read the scenario documents and prepare (you're allowed to take these and any notes you make in with you), 10 minutes to present (which you must time yourself), and 20 minutes of questions and answers. After the exercise you have around 10 minutes to fill in your exercise self evaluation form.

Hope that helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.