Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randlemcmurphy)
    Use the product rule with u=-2x and v=y
    Thanks, always get a bit confused whether the y should be minus or not, basic, I know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRaspberry)
    How would you implicitly differentiate -2xy a bit confused because of the minus, thanks!
    you would use the product rule with u=-2x and v=y, so du/dx = -2, dv/dy=1(dy/dx) so you get -2y + (-2x dy/dx) so if you rearragne, dy/dx = 2y/-2x if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBowcat)
    What is the hardest c4 paper that you guys have come across?
    June 14!! the last 2 questions total up to 30 marks!! and theres 8 questions. last question is 15 mark vectors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dante991)
    To confirm: C4 tomorrow is definitely in the afternoon?
    yeah it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccisha)
    you would use the product rule with u=-2x and v=y, so du/dx = -2, dv/dy=1(dy/dx) so you get -2y + (-2x dy/dx) so if you rearragne, dy/dx = 2y/-2x if that makes sense?
    Thanks, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    how was your STEP?
    Pretty decent actually my full solutions were perfect but not enough for an S grade. Oh well I'll settle with a 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRaspberry)
    Thanks, much appreciated!
    anytime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Pretty decent actually my full solutions were perfect but not enough for an S grade. Oh well I'll settle with a 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice
    1 is good enough.

ReputationRep:
    whats the hardest c4 paper? want to do one more to finish revision

ReputationRep:
    How do you choose a suitable value of x for binomial expansion? I don't understand how you know what x value to substitute in the expansion..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beastblue)
    whats the hardest c4 paper? want to do one more to finish revision
    Try the Edexcel Gold Level 4 paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomuser1)
    Draw it. Basically find AX, and find the general vector from X to a point on line2 (line2 general vector minus X). Find when this vector magnitude is equal to the AX magnitude you found. This should give you 2 parameter values, which you sub in to get b1 and b2.
    Oh okay, I'll try that thanks ^.^

ReputationRep:
    Can someone confirm that the Gold papers are the hardest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bustamove)
    ah I hate having exams on consecutive days.... even worse when you have 2 hard exams on the same day....

I made a mistake before my C3 exam, I had economics unit 3 and C3 on consecutive days and I just focused too much on econ rather than C3 (I'm applying for economics and it would be awks to get a bad grade in it)...
    At the time, I was really good at C3 but I couldnt do a economics unit 3 paper at the time and I had 2 days before the exam... so I panicked and just focused on that...

I focused too much on econ 3 and got a little out of touch with C3 in the end... I ended up making soo many silly mistakes... May have blown my chances for an A*, I probably just got borderline A which is not good enough.
    I hope this doesn't happen to you tomorrow...it may be even harder for you since you have 2 exams in the same day... I hear history is pretty hard O.o
    Oh thats a shame - at least the majority found C3 difficult although I haven't looked at model answers myself so hopefully boundaries will be a little lower. I hope so to, although the exam is GCSE history, so shouldn't be too difficult
    The worst is that history finishes and C4 starts at such an awkward time - too little time gap to come home, relax etc then go back up so I'll just be sitting in school for like 2hrs doing nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    Can someone confirm that the Gold papers are the hardest?
    yes, they are
    Spoiler:
    Show
    or maybe the platinum papers are

ReputationRep:
    Are gold papers just edexcel papers but jumbled up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Nice
    1 is good enough.
    Yes it is. Even though this one doesnt count at all 😂. Good confidence boost going into the mighty step II and III exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Bustamove)
    ummm....https://5a302d29ff432793ce79475dd3db...%20Edexcel.pdf

question 3...

I can't paste it on here sorry...

I watched exams solutions and his method is to divide 9x^2 +20x -10 by (x+2)(3x-1) and then what ever value he got as a remainder, he used that for partial fractions...

I'm just wondering, instead of doing that, could I do:
    step 1) 9x^2 +20x -10/(x+2)(3x-1) = A + B/(x+2) + C/(3x-1) ?
    and then
    step 2) 9x^2 +20x -10 = A(x+2)(3x-1) + B(3x-1) + C(X+2) ?

Sorry, it looks really messy, I hope this makes sense... I don't know if this method works, but I don't really like the dividing method and I'm just wondering if this works... if it wasn't a improper fraction, usually the letter "A" wouldn't be on it's own like the first step that I've put down.
    It should work, and in your example it does. (It took ages to find A, as it was the last one I was able to find using your method to give me A=3, and then comparing that with the method they would do also gives the first number being 3, so I guess the rest of it works fine as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Yes it is. Even though this one doesnt count at all 😂. Good confidence boost going into the mighty step II and III exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    good luck
    (hope there is no Hitler video for STEP)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    Oh thats a shame - at least the majority found C3 difficult although I haven't looked at model answers myself so hopefully boundaries will be a little lower. I hope so to, although the exam is GCSE history, so shouldn't be too difficult
    The worst is that history finishes and C4 starts at such an awkward time - too little time gap to come home, relax etc then go back up so I'll just be sitting in school for like 2hrs doing nothing
    Ah, fair enough.. I don't think GCSE is that hard compared to A-levels, but then again I didn't take history GCSE so I can't really comment on it's difficulty XD
    Not sure about the majority of people... doesn't seem to be the case here, especially on the C3 TSR thread XD

just gonna pray to edexcel Gods to lower the boundaries enough for me to get an A in...

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.