The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry - C2 & C3 (14th May 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gobygaga
Actually it's not. Teachers are not even allowed access to it until 2 weeks after the exam. This is because in certain situations people may need to sit the exam slightly later

I thought in those cases they put the predicted grade down instead.

And that user really sounds like a troll, except he or she is not. I thought copyright was to do with royalties/profit, and isn't AQA a non-profit charity? I don't know much of British copyright law, but even if I'm wrong about the purpose of copyright, there should be an equivalent of the 1976 Copyright Act, which allows copyrighted material to be distributed without permission from the copyright holders in certain cases if strictly for non-profit, informative and educative purposes?
(edited 8 years ago)
...and by the teacher's logic, discussing exams on TSR should be forbidden too as people are inevitably going to mention the questions when sharing their answers. If somebody needs to take this exam a bit later, they don't need to be a genius to scroll through a discussion thread.

So that's two or three flaws in total in the reasoning of Gobygaga/the teacher, so neil20143 is absolutely right.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Palette
...and by the teacher's logic, discussing exams on TSR should be forbidden too as people are inevitably going to mention the questions when sharing their answers. If somebody needs to take this exam a bit later, they don't need to be a genius to scroll through a discussion thread.

So that's three flaws in total in the reasoning of Gobygaga/the teacher, so neil20143 is absolutely right.

People get put in isolation at our school until they take the exam. Therefore they have no means to communicate and see this thread
People get put in isolation at our school until they take the exam. Therefore they have no means to communicate and see this thread

I thought that means they take the exam on the same day as us? Surely they won't force the student in question to sleep overnight in the school? And surely your point only backs my other point as if they can't see this thread, they can't see any photos of photographed papers either?
Original post by neil20143
A little harsh and untrue. The paper is now allowed as no one is taking the exam now.

(Removed in case somebody takes what I typed too seriously)

Anyway, how well do you think you did in C2 and C3?

and did you put 20 or 14 to the temperature change question?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Palette
YES!!!

FIGHT THE ESTABLISHMENT!

Anyway, how well do you think you did in C2 and C3?

:biggrin: I try!

I think I'll be bang on boundary for an A* in C2 and a little below for C3 :frown: Thank god for my CA! Hopefully my C1 will help me a bit but I'm really unsure what I'll get! C3 really had me in panic!
Original post by Palette
I thought that means they take the exam on the same day as us? Surely they won't force the student in question to sleep overnight in the school? And surely your point only backs my other point as if they can't see this thread, they can't see any photos of photographed papers either?

No you don't understand what I am trying to say. You risk disqualification if you break the aqa rules which can be found on there website. This clearly states that you are not to publish any papers until at least 2 weeks after the exam. I know this because I was ill during the biology exam and had to do it on the Thursday instead. During these days I was in isolation and was not allowed access to my phone even when at home. I was also not allowed to be in contact with anyone who had done the test. I had to literally have someone walk me from my mums car into the school.
No you don't understand what I am trying to say. You risk disqualification if you break the aqa rules which can be found on there website. This clearly states that you are not to publish any papers until at least 2 weeks after the exam. I know this because I was ill during the biology exam and had to do it on the Thursday instead. During these days I was in isolation and was not allowed access to my phone even when at home. I was also not allowed to be in contact with anyone who had done the test. I had to literally have someone walk me from my mums car into the school.

I thought isolation happened if you had two exams that clashed and you had to take one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. I didn't know that sorry.

But one of my earlier points stands, people already mention questions in the paper when they share the answers, and technically you can reconstruct the entire paper from that. So by that logic all online exam discussion should be banned until 2 weeks after the exam.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by neil20143
:biggrin: I try!

I think I'll be bang on boundary for an A* in C2 and a little below for C3 :frown: Thank god for my CA! Hopefully my C1 will help me a bit but I'm really unsure what I'll get! C3 really had me in panic!

C2 was quite easy except for that weird six marker. C3 was very difficult: so many weird questions, the six marker and that strange five marker. I think I got an A* for C2 and A for C3.
Original post by Palette
I thought isolation happened if you had two exams that clashed and you had to take one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. I didn't know that sorry.

But one of my earlier points stands, people already mention questions in the paper when they share the answers, and technically you can reconstruct the entire paper from that. So by that logic all online exam discussion should be banned until 2 weeks after the exam.
it should be but its not
Actually it's not. Teachers are not even allowed access to it until 2 weeks after the exam. This is because in certain situations people may need to sit the exam slightly later

That Chemistry teacher said

"I teach chemistry. I am allowed to see the paper."

In a June 2012 Unit 1 thread just 6 days after the exam.
it should be but its not

...which defeats the point of the rule, and therefore my final point stands.

What's the point of banning publication of papers when students who can remember the questions can mention them in the discussion thread and some person just assembles them together in one post?

Therefore my decision is that if a rule is made useless loopholes and therefore ineffective in its purpose, it should be ignored. Or the loopholes should be closed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Palette
That Chemistry teacher said

"I teach chemistry. I am allowed to see the paper."

In a June 2012 Unit 1 thread just 6 days after the exam.

On the aqa website it says
"Teachers can get past papers earlier, starting 10 days after the exam, from Secure Key Materials."
On the aqa website it says
"Teachers can get past papers earlier, starting 10 days after the exam, from Secure Key Materials."

Thing is he got it less than 10 days after the exam.
Original post by Palette
Thing is he got it less than 10 days after the exam.

Just saying that he should not of been able to as the exam board clearly says that he is not allowed access yet
Just saying that he should not of been able to as the exam board clearly says that he is not allowed access yet

I'm not going to play tu quoque so instead I'll blame AQA for allowing teachers to play a role in distributing exam papers of the subjects they teach (during the exam).

I hope I've shown how AQA's policy is pointless due to the loopholes. I'd tell AQA to either:

Shut loopholes and request sites to ban discussion of exams in online forums until a certain duration of time.

Or, scrap their policy.
Original post by Palette
I'm not going to play tu quoque so instead I'll blame AQA for allowing teachers to play a role in distributing exam papers of the subjects they teach (during the exam).

I hope I've shown how AQA's policy is pointless due to the loopholes. I'd tell AQA to either:

Shut loopholes and request sites to ban discussion of exams in online forums until a certain duration of time.

Or, scrap their policy.

I totally agree. However at our school we don't have teachers that give out papers we have invigilators
I totally agree. However at our school we don't have teachers that give out papers we have invigilators

Same for my school.

I actually enjoyed this discussion/argument. Hopefully the Chemistry teacher will take note.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post55816911 --OFFICIAL P2 & P3 THREAD EXAM ON WEDNESDAY!!
Original post by 11Jason11
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post55816911 --OFFICIAL P2 & P3 THREAD EXAM ON WEDNESDAY!!

That's more than enough advertising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending