The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k.anne
BoGS!!! Overwhelming feeling of happiness 😊 although I don't want to celebrate too much until it says offer.

PhD in Latin American Studies

Timeline:
Application fully submitted (including references): 25/01/16
Awaiting consideration by department (status never changed between this and BoGS): 26/01/16
Interview held: 08/02/16
Awaiting decision by BoGS: 12/02/16

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is your degree?
I emailed the graduate secretary in linguistics and she said they will most likely make their decisions this week, i.e. today!! Checking self service every half an hour, let me know already x_x
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by _Sunday_
What is your degree?
I emailed the graduate secretary in linguistics and she said they will most likely make their decisions this week, i.e. today!! Checking self service every half an hour, let me know already x_x

It's for a PhD in Latin American Studies. Haha I was the same exact way. The wait was driving me mad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elenahoyy
Conditional on graduation with 67% for my current undergraduate degree :smile:

Thank you for the response.

I wish you all the luck in your studies.
At BoGS for a Ph.D in Psychology! :biggrin:
Original post by omgwhat
Nope! I don't know if I already said but I got rejected by my second choice college, Christ's.

It's no biggie though, I'm no longer checking CAMSIS as frequently since it will probably be a while yet. Also I no longer mind about the colleges - just getting on with my life really. I had obsessed over this applications process for so long that I'm just a little burnt out now! :biggrin: My priority is just focusing on my work and ensuring I can meet the conditions of my offer.

I think you've got the right idea :biggrin: I suppose it's easy to get carried away by the excitement :lol:

Your offer will come soon - mine took like 2 days as far as I remember. Celebrate! :h:

Funny you should say that because I got my offer today! :woo::dance:

Now it's just a case of finding out what college I'll be going to :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone heard anything from the MPhil in Modern British History?

I applied in early-mid November and am still "under consideration by degree committee". As far as I can tell from the Cambridge website there has only been one meeting for this MPhil since I applied which was the "Modern British History subject group" on the 11th of Feb so I assumed I would have heard either way by this evening but I still haven't. I also can't see any mention of news from anyone else on either this site or gradcafe. As far as I can see there isn't another meeting for this MPhil for the rest of this term.

Does that mean I am unlikely to hear anything until after Easter or does it sometimes take a few days for the degree committee decisions to come through?

I only ask because whether or not I get an offer from Cambridge affects how many other institutions I will apply to and since it is pretty expensive to apply to each course I would rather not waste other people's time and my money by applying to other places unnecessarily.

Many thanks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1626
Original post by historynerd24

I applied in early-mid November and am still "under consideration by degree committee". As far as I can tell from the Cambridge website there has only been one meeting for this MPhil since I applied which was the "Modern British History subject group" on the 11th of Feb so I assumed I would have heard either way by this evening but I still haven't. I also can't see any mention of news from anyone else on either this site or gradcafe. As far as I can see there isn't another meeting for this MPhil for the rest of this term.

I think you have an overoptimistic conception of how university administration works. :biggrin:
Reply 1627
Original post by Indeterminate

Funny you should say that because I got my offer today! :woo::dance:

Now it's just a case of finding out what college I'll be going to :redface:

What were your choices?
Original post by Josb
What were your choices?

Trinity and Churchill. Optimistic, I know! :redface:
Reply 1629
Trinity and Churchill. Optimistic, I know! :redface:

Trinity and Christ's for me. Yolo.
Original post by historynerd24

Does that mean I am unlikely to hear anything until after Easter or does it sometimes take a few days for the degree committee decisions to come through?

I only ask because whether or not I get an offer from Cambridge affects how many other institutions I will apply to and since it is pretty expensive to apply to each course I would rather not waste other people's time and my money by applying to other places unnecessarily.

Many thanks :smile:

I can tell you that MPhil admissions are not discussed at History Subject Group meetings, so it's useless trying to extrapolate when you'll hear based on the calendar of those meetings. I am sure you'll hear soon enough, as the bulk of offers seem to be made in February/March.
Has anyone not applied yet or in the process of applying? I am only just sending off my application for the MPhil in Economic and Social History, as I hadn't originally planned on applying this year.

Will applying this late drastically reduce my chances? I am already a graduate, achieving a high upper second-class honours in history from UCL, so I have the required grades and have a research proposal planned.

On choosing college preferences, would it be best to choose the two colleges you would like most to attend, or have people gone for colleges based on admission statistics. King's and Queens' are my preferred choices, but I understand that these are highly competitive.

Thanks for any help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pierpasolini
Has anyone not applied yet or in the process of applying? I am only just sending off my application for the MPhil in Economic and Social History, as I hadn't originally planned on applying this year.

Will applying this late drastically reduce my chances? I am already a graduate, achieving a high upper second-class honours in history from UCL, so I have the required grades.
It seems as if there is only one deadline for that course (March 31 2016), so you are not late at all with your application. You may however have reduced your chances to attain a scholarship, as many of them have closed for applicants.
Reply 1633
Has anyone had an interview for the MASt in Physics? Mine is on Monday, which is both exciting and scary! What kind of questions do they usually ask?

My application for the PartIII in Maths is "Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies". What does this mean? As I understand it this is the last stop before the offer...but what does the Board of graduate studies do?
Original post by pierpasolini
On choosing college preferences, would it be best to choose the two colleges you would like most to attend, or have people gone for colleges based on admission statistics. King's and Queens' are my preferred choices, but I understand that these are highly competitive.

I think it's best to choose based on which you'd most like to attend. If you don't get it, oh well, but you're guaranteed a spot at a college as a postgraduate student so applying based on admissions seems pretty pointless.
Original post by curie
Has anyone had an interview for the MASt in Physics? Mine is on Monday, which is both exciting and scary! What kind of questions do they usually ask?

My application for the PartIII in Maths is "Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies". What does this mean? As I understand it this is the last stop before the offer...but what does the Board of graduate studies do?

I applied for Part III too :five: BoGS is the final stage before an offer is made (in fact mine updated today). You should expect to receive an official confirmation within a few days! :smile:

What are your college preferences, out of interest? :biggrin:
Reply 1636
I applied for Part III too :five: BoGS is the final stage before an offer is made (in fact mine updated today). You should expect to receive an official confirmation within a few days! :smile:

What are your college preferences, out of interest? :biggrin:

Does this mean I'm in? :biggrin:

Are you at the BoGS stage too or did you already receive your offer?

I've applied to Trinity Hall and Fitz, you?
Original post by curie
Does this mean I'm in? :biggrin:

Are you at the BoGS stage too or did you already receive your offer?

I've applied to Trinity Hall and Fitz, you?

Yeah, I believe it does (it's just a case of dotting the i's and crossing the t's from what I gather) Congrats! :party:

My offer came through today! :woo: But now is when the wait really begins since it can take a while for you to be placed in a college (depends on whether your preferences accept you or not) :redface:

Mine are Trinity College and Churchill. Of course, I know I'm being optimistic, but YOLO :biggrin:
Yeah, I believe it does (it's just a case of dotting the i's and crossing the t's from what I gather) Congrats! :party:

My offer came through today! :woo: But now is when the wait really begins since it can take a while for you to be placed in a college (depends on whether your preferences accept you or not) :redface:

Mine are Trinity College and Churchill. Of course, I know I'm being optimistic, but YOLO :biggrin:

OMG so happy for you bro :smile: You deserve this so much!
Original post by Student403
OMG so happy for you bro :smile: You deserve this so much!

Wow, thank you! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest