St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaykaayy)
    Thanks! I was thinking that too but wasn't too sure as of to if the information could be withheld from the parents?
    Is it legal to do so? Since she's under 16 wouldn't the parents have to know? (The same for with pregnancys)
    Apparently, if an Under 16 explicitly asks you not to tell their parents, you can't say anything. All you can do is try and convince them that's it's best for the parents to know.
    Patient Confidentiality gets real sticky sometimes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to everyone doing the BMAT today!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    Good luck to everyone doing the BMAT today!
    You too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CutieTootsie)
    You too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not actualy doing the BMAT, but thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moodicrus)
    GCSE
    6 A*s Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, French, Music.
    6 As Biology, History, Economics, English Lang, English Lit, RE.

AS
    Biology A ( Edexcel Salters-Nuffield)
    Chemistry A (OCR B)
    Economics A (AQA)
    Maths A (UMS: 98/97/86 in C1/C2/M1) (OCR MEI)
    EPQ A* (on Precision Medicine/ Oncogenomics) (Edexcel)

Predicted Grades
    Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Mathematics - A*

Work Experience
    1 year Volunteer at King's
    1 week with a cardiothoracic surgeon
    1 week GP
    1 week Anaesthetics
    1 day Paediatrics, Psychiatry, Obstetrics, MaxFacS

Universities
    Cambridge (Clare College) - Pending
    Bristol - Pending
    Imperial - Pending
    Newcastle - Pending
    Birmingham (Biomedical Sciences) - Unconditional!!

Wider reading
    DNA: The Secret of Life
    Oncogenomics: Molecular Approaches to Cancer
    The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer
    The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine

UKCAT
    Verbal Reasoning: 640
    Quantitative Reasoning: 770
    Abstract Reasoning: 800
    Situational Judgement: Band 1
    Average: 737

Discuss anything related to applying to study Medicine at University, and good luck!
    omg well done for the unconditional !!!!good luck

ReputationRep:
    when will we find out the ukcat cut off scores for univerisities? our ukcat scores should be sent to our universities by now or in two-three days right? Has anyone heard anything apart from confirmation emails?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    when will we find out the ukcat cut off scores for univerisities? our ukcat scores should be sent to our universities by now or in two-three days right? Has anyone heard anything apart from confirmation emails?
    The unis found out yesterday.
    How long you're going to wait depends on the unis you've applied to, their selection procedures, and luck.
    Last year, the earliest interviews went out about a week or two after UKCAT scores were released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    The unis found out yesterday.
    How long you're going to wait depends on the unis you've applied to, their selection procedures, and luck.
    Last year, the earliest interviews went out about a week or two after UKCAT scores were released.
    are you sure it was yesterday, because on the website it says first week of Nov, so it can be any day this week right??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    are you sure it was yesterday, because on the website it says first week of Nov, so it can be any day this week right??
    I saw a post of someone who rang up Manchester for some reason yesterday and they told them they had got the results that day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    I saw a post of someone who rang up Manchester for some reason yesterday and they told them they had got the results that day.
    OMG!!!!! Can't wait to hear back from them. Where did you apply? Did you do the BMAT today haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    OMG!!!!! Can't wait to hear back from them. Where did you apply? Did you do the BMAT today haha
    I know it's exciting!
    I applied to Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham and Oxford, what about you ? So yeah I did the BMAT... I have no idea how it went, I had to guess a lot of questions, and I'm generally rubbish at S2 so that probably went badly. I have good GCSEs though and that's half of Oxford's scoring so I'm hoping that'll make up for it Did you do it?

ReputationRep:
    can people see their predicted grades on ucas track?

ReputationRep:
    how many lectures are there in a day for newcastle med students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    I can't see mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaykaayy)
    Thanks! I was thinking that too but wasn't too sure as of to if the information could be withheld from the parents?
    Is it legal to do so? Since she's under 16 wouldn't the parents have to know? (The same for with pregnancys)
    I don't think it is illegal to withhold the details of the situation from the parents. I think even those who are underage would still have the full rights of confidentiality. But to check you could look on the gmc website or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    Nope they're written within the reference section which we can't access.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by emma.sx)
    I don't think it is illegal to withhold the details of the situation from the parents. I think even those who are underage would still have the full rights of confidentiality. But to check you could look on the gmc website or something
    Gillick competency and the Fraser guidelines (although specific to contraception), a very important issue which often comes up at medical school interviews.

With respect to sexual activity and abortion, providing the child is over 13 and deemed competent you cannot force them to tell their parents and you must uphold confidentiality. This is not the case for when the child is 12 or under as the law states that being aged under 13 means you cannot consent to sex lawfully, even if you say yes.

Confidentiality is a very important issue that you will all face throughout your careers, it is a very big part of my practice currently and I am only a second year medical student. Many guidlines can be found through the GMC which elude to confidentiality. One good example is if relatives call up asking about appointments, if you are trying to remain confidential it is important to state "if your partner/daughter/son came to see me...".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Gillick competency and the Fraser guidelines (although specific to contraception), a very important issue which often comes up at medical school interviews.

With respect to sexual activity and abortion, providing the child is over 13 and deemed competent you cannot force them to tell their parents and you must uphold confidentiality. This is not the case for when the child is 12 or under as the law states that being aged under 13 means you cannot consent to sex lawfully, even if you say yes.

Confidentiality is a very important issue that you will all face throughout your careers, it is a very big part of my practice currently and I am only a second year medical student. Many guidlines can be found through the GMC which elude to confidentiality. One good example is if relatives call up asking about appointments, if you are trying to remain confidential it is important to state "if your partner/daughter/son came to see me...".
    This is so helpful. Thankss

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bright_Gift)
    This is so helpful. Thankss

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries,
    Confidentiality is a complex issue to grasp, and there is a very fine line between right and wrong.

ReputationRep:
    No anyone know what dates Birmingham interviews are on? I know the dates for my other unis, I just can't seem to find Birmingham's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.